1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

Well I can tell you I just sent it to Rolex and they went through and cleaned it up and it's on the way back, about 2k worth of work because my dad had it buried in his stuff, we never knew the watch existed until he passed away and we found it in his box of military stuff. The cool part is he made some recordings on old school tapes while he was over there and we put them on CD, on one of the tapes he talks about buying the watch in Hong Kong on leave, since he dated the tape when he recorded it we know he had the watch when he recorded the tapes and since the purple hearts are dated we know he was wearing the watch at the time of the fights.
    So yeah it's not for sale and will never be for sale, hell I am not sure I can even wear the watch.

2. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

I'm confident we'd all like to see some pictures after they return it. Seems a treasure for your family. Take great care of it and add some new memories with it to share with the family.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No! You NEED to wear it. An old (or any) Rolex that just sits dies a slow death. Wear it, use it, enjoy it, celebrate it! and your dad, the original owner, at the same time.

pscook, noles19 and Sprinky like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yep definitely wear it.

RSC will make sure the bracelet is in good shape so you shouldn't have to worry about losing it, but I'd still consider an aftermarket or even Rolex replacement bracelet just for security.

That's awesome man. That's what an heirloom watch is all about. Too cool.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The Rolex Service Center did a great job on my Oysterdate Precision. (6694) It was about $500 for service at the time.
    Was my Grandpa's watch, and now I have it. Will be going to my cousin's son, as I have no kids.

You are in good hands, Critter.

[​IMG]

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool Critter! I got dads onto a Nato band and wear it daily, did take a while to get over not wanting to hurt his watch but I know he'd be happier this way even if it gets hurt.

Boman Forklift and JBraun like this.
  7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

[​IMG]

Have you guys seen this thing? I can't stop thinking about it.

noles19 likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

BRM makes some wicked cool watches and I think they have a tie in with VIR.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

got the wife a fancy watch and she doesn't like it that much. she loves the look and the feel but is "embarrassed" to wear it...

[​IMG]

galactic 36 automatic.

she has a fashion DKNY watch, 38mm case .

she loved her DIOR VIII 28mm but the link of the ceramic bracelet broke and I am not willing to drop more on the repair than the watch was in the first place.
    and it's destined th break again as I see it.

what can I do aside from returning it.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Make her wear it, duh. :D

Why is she embarrassed to wear it?

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

dunno. frugality?

she's like: I don't want you to spend all that $ blahh blah...

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, tell her she's earned it 10 times over.

or get it resized for you. 36mm ain't all that small.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Tell her the watch has history that dates back when you were in a POW camp in 'Nam and tell her where it was hidden all these months. I'm sure she'll want to wear it then :D

Phl218 likes this.
  14. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Anyone catch the new record for a Rolex? $5,060,427!

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Thanks guys. Just told her she earned it ;)

17. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Thats the one. Only one of three if memory serves me correctly, and purchased by the last Emperor of Viet Nam. Personally does nothing for me, I'd rather have one of the very few Rolex Minute Repeaters... but hey, if you can afford one, your probably afford the other. Whats a few million among friends anyways ;)

18. Scott T

Scott T Well-Known Member

Hey JBraun, Don't go and look at the IWC Piot. I was in the boutique when I was in Vegas over Xmas. Really fricking nice. A bit too big for me, but the Le Petit chrono was perfect. It just so happens I just got a Petit chrono the other day. I knew the if I didn't buy it out there on vacation, it was going to be at the top of my list for the next watch. Only thing I have that is cooler is a Zenith Type 20 Pilot in bronze.

19. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Picked up this Oris Diver 65 in Sint Maarten. I'm just a rube from Wisco, but damn there's a LOT of watch stores in Phillipsburg. Lots of nice stuff!

Attached Files:

Jedb likes this.
  20. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Got this yesterday. :(

[​IMG]