1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Uber Drivers?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Jan 21, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I always tip 20% or more to Lyft/Uber taxi drivers, especially after finding out the driver doesn't really get any of the fare.

In Panama, the fares are super low. Like $2-3.50 for a 5-10 minute ride. I was like how is this possible. So when you give them "Extra" it's like 50% of the fare.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:eek: Holy shit, that's quite a tip !

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah...we thought he was full of shit until he hit us up with some free VIP tickets:D

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I drove for Uber for a few months. After calculating hourly wages after expenses, including vehicle depreciation, insurance, maintenance and gasoline I found out it wasn’t worth my time. I also didn’t like being a DD for drunk ass, barely able to walk, much less stay awake Marines, God bless their hearts. Also if your insurance company finds out your driving for them they will probably drop you. You’re only covered while on the way to pick up and while driving a passenger by Uber. There’s a reason taxis cost as much as they do. It costs a lot to drive people around. Uber also subsidizes a lot of the fares. I also hate the cheap asses that wouldn’t tip.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you're not transporting a tipping crowd then it won't be a big money maker.
    And no way would I drive the after-bars-close crowd.
    Drunks suck to deal with. Be aware that people who pass out
    often vomit upon awakening.
    The early bar crowd is more sober and more likely to tip.

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Did Lyft and Uber recently drop their standards? I hardly use them but I was impressed with Lyft over Uber after a week in Scottsdale taking 2-3 rides a day. Seemed like the Lyft cars were newer with more mature drivers. I took a Lyft yesterday here at home and a 2005 Jeep showed up. I looked at the odometer and he had 176,000 miles on it, it rode like he had twice that. I thought there were model year restrictions on the cars???

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Woah im surprised people don’t tip.
    At the end of the ride they suggest 3 different tips, i usually give the middle one.

But i have had, as many mentioned, if you include all your costs, you would be making very little money.

BigBird likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The vehicle restrictions vary by market. Big city means newer nicer cars. Podunksville means a 99 caravan with 2 missing seats and duct tape on the dash could qualify.

At least with uber the requirements vary

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

K51000 and Razr like this.
  10. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Since Uber added tip option in the app I always tip. I only use Uber for work. Prior to that I preferred Lyft.

It’s hit and miss. While I was in Indy for a trade show 3 of 4 cars we used had growling bearings and shot out suspension.

K51000 likes this.
  11. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Well, still doing it part time- things are still good. We had 2 days of -25 weather, and lots of people used Uber 'cz their vehicles would not start.

* So I'm out today driving Uber, and on my way to a pick up, I get a call from the recruiter for the Hospitalist company I'm trying to get a job with. She says she has good news, and they're extending me an offer!! I came home, read the contract online and signed it!

I've had lots of really good riders- all types.
    My rating is now 4.97 out of 5! I don't have water bottles, or candy/mints for them either!

Sure I've had lots of young, pretty woman.
    I even had a group of 6 that went 1 mile today. A black woman in her mid/late 30's- teenager, and 3 young black boys, and a baby too!
    The kids were well behaved and they were all very nice too. They were cool.
    2 days ago I pick someone up, and have to get another colleague, then drive all the way west of Chicago, from north of Milwaukee! Then drive back w/o any trips! F'er didn't even tip at all either! Worked out OK though, Almost $30 Hr gross for that time alone.

My favorite was a woman I gave a ride to today. She looks to be in her 30's, and mentions she had kids too.
    Her vehicle wouldn't start to get to work this morning- called Uber- I get the call.
    She is dressed in company garb/cold weather type clothing wearing a company logo embroidered stocking cap, jacket, think pants, etc.
    She had a slight accent- looked to be Peruvian?- I didn't ask. But she spoke perfect English, and was very polite and appropriate.
    She sat in the front seat with me, I was driving our Honda Pilot this morning.

She is an 18wheeler driver for AIM trucking company. We chatted some- she says she loves her job.
    She was so cool- assimilated foreign woman- works for a living- and really nice and yes
    the only part I could actually see skin on her was a beautiful face, and beautiful hands, with little jewelry.
    Watching her get out and walk to her company building- I could imagine what the lines looked like under her thick winter pants and jacket.
    She is a trim woman for sure.
    Maysa- I hope we meet again sometime.

I'll keep doing it part time for now until I can start my professional gig again. Then, working 7 days on, 7 off, hell, I'll probably do it some on some of those days off too!

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Was the baby black too? Don't leave us hanging!

Congrats on the new job.

tony 340, K51000 and motion like this.
  13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new job K51000

K51000 likes this.
  14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Man we just had an 8 month pregnant Lyft driver stabbed to death and an Uber driver get his throat slashed by the pick up cusromer here in Phoenix.

I know both companies forbid drivers from having any type of self defense items but I'd rather deal with that after I survive an attack.

BigBird and K51000 like this.
  15. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Baby looked to be also ;-), and thanks

Thanks- start date still 1-3 months off, but a great job, great pay, and won't loose our home

FT, While I don't currently own a handgun, been thinking about getting one and carrying. What are they going to do- fire me?

I thought the riders are also supposed to have background checks, etc.? When it says you're picking up someone- lets say, Ramone, or Raul- often times it's someone else- a family member riding on the riders account. And also, there's only one name, never says there may be 4 riders, etc.

It's been fine thus far, but even if I was busting my arse, letting up a LLC, writing a vehicle off, etc,, it still wouldn't be about 1/2 of my 'real' profession- so there's that

Razr likes this.
  16. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

And, let me just go on record here, that it is a total Win-win for UBER!

They have all this BS names for it, but basically take 25% right off the top!
    Talk about some BS!! 25% off the top? OK, they have the app, and some Chicks in the Philippines tro answer the 'help' phone.

25%?

Organized Crime- that's what this is! Yes, I'm a capitalist- but c'mon,
    10% should be more than enough!

F them

If only I could organize a 'strike' sort of, until they lower their take some!
    Nation-worldwide- no Uber drivers for days until they give in and crumble- OK back to reality

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Seems high, but I'm sure their insurance ain't cheap (like, to cover lawsuits over drivers getting murdered...)

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

New drivers quit after a few months when they realize that the measly pay is really just a loan against the equity in their car. Uber has to pay big bounties.... sometimes $2,000 ea, to attract new drivers.

418 and GixxerBlade like this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Look! I’m ridin’ out a polar vortex. I need details your post just to help keep warm. :rolleyes:

I wanna know if the black baby tipped and if so, how much? Where was his parent or guardian? Did the baby’s car not start?

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Why would they be liable? Didn't vet the rider? Anyone can and does ride on whoevers account it is.

I picked up a guy who said he did it 12hr/day- 7 day a week for over a year- even he said not worth it!
    * My app says $50 to sign up new drivers- with stipulations too. Where are you getting $2000?

Did you read the whole post? I'd rather talk about the (what I call) Peruvian Truck driver!! Too me, she was hot, in that sexy peruvian sort of way. I would have paid her to stop somewhere! LOL
    Most people don't tip. Iv'e had a few nice comments on the app, and I now have a 4.91/5.00 rating. And yes, I've got some tips too.