1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Uber Drivers?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Jan 21, 2019.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Keeping it out of the Dungeon if you don't mind.

Do you drive for Uber any?
    Do you have a onboard camera to record peoples actions, and/or a dashcam?
    Do you carry a firearm- concealed?
    Do you like it?
    Have you had any issues or problems doing it?

I'm now approved on the Uber Driver App to start driving! Haven't yet. At least one family friend does though- he seems to like it?
    Pretty funny, I'm 'between jobs', in my medical profession as an Advance Practice Provider, once I get a job, if it's at a hospital/clinic (usually is), I have to wait 6-12 weeks for my credentialing to be approved to work/bill. That's after I have all the necessary certifications, licenses to practice etc.

UBER APPROVED ME TO DRIVE UBER, WITH A BACKGROUND CHECK, ETC.- IN LESS THAN 12 HOURS!! Somethings wrong with process in the Medical profession. Maybe it should take more than 12 hours, but it shouldn't take longer than like 3 days! 6-12 weeks? FT

Just asking for a friend ;)

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I've heard mixed reviews. I've heard good things about Favor/Doordash/et al if you're in a metro enough area.

noles19 likes this.
  3. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Is that a dash cam system?

4. auminer

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about door dash also, because you make $10 an hour minimum

6. auminer

Damn scrap jockeys make that much in their beater pickups around here (DFW)

K51000 and noles19 like this.
  7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I actually 'volunteer' as a part time lifeguard at my local Y, for $8.80 and hour. If I was to work a 8 hr shift- I'd equal what
    my 1 hr. pay usually is in my profession!!

Still looking for those on the 'Beeb' that actually do drive for Uber?

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I learned that using your car for Uber or Lyft can affect your vehicle warranty.

I've worked on cars that I would have serious reservations about getting into for a ride. Like a Honda Fit that smells like an ashtray or a 2017 Accord with a back seat that doubles as a kennel.

9. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Well, I plan on using our 2008 Honda Pilot SE FWD;
    Or my 2003 Ferd Explorer XLT 4x4- with a leaky/loud muffler!

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Good idea...

[​IMG]

11. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I'm sure you are already aware of this but I believe you have to modify your insurance policy on the vehicle you plan to drive.

K51000 likes this.
  12. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I did it for almost 2 years while finishing college. It got worse and worse regarding pay. 95% of people were as you would expect 95% of people to be - perfectly nice. However, as Uber gets cheaper and cheaper to use, you get a very different clientelle regarding cleanliness and the types of neighborhoods you have to pickup/drop off from.

The pay became worse and worse until the only nights worth driving were a rainy Halloween/new years eve or Mardi Gras. The average week night with nothing huge going on in the city, maybe average $10-12hr (gross, not net). Busiest nights with huge surge prices, maybe average $25/hr. Never again.

K51000 likes this.
  13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Was that before or after they allowed tipping? I know that some people did even before it was allowed, but, I understand it made a big difference when tipping started to be permitted.

K51000 likes this.
  14. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Before tipping was allowed. The money was good when I started because Uber had JUST come to New Orleans and there wasn't many drivers. But once the drivers started popping up all over the damn place, the pay went down VERY quickly.

K51000 likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have a co-worker that moonlights, and says Friday/Saturday night are the only ones that really pay, since you are the designated driver. Other than that, not so much, but he doesn't live in a population dense neighborhood either.

Basically you get paid by mile/time and tips. Most people don't tip or tip very little from what I heard. Example say the quoted fare was $100, Uber gets the $100 and only gives you your time and miles and the person's tip, you don't get other part of that payment. The only difference if there is surge pricing, then you get some multiplier, i.e. 1.25x ,etc. Lyft seems to pay the drivers better or have better incentives, and Juno is supposed to be the most driver friendly one, but has a significant less market share. And, you can do all three as a driver at the same time I think, I know definitely for Uber/Lyft you can do at the same time.

At the end of the day, the market will take out many drivers because it isn't worth it to have such market saturation, and pay will get better, but until then, it's not uber profitable as a driver.

K51000 likes this.
  16. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I’ve got a friend who's a retired cop and made something like 60-65k doing Uber last year but he's also a workaholic. 10-12 hours a day from 5 or 6pm to 5 or 6am. Loosely related, if you have those Bird or Lime scooters in your area apparently you can make good money taking those home, charging them, and putting them out in the morning. It helps if you have a truck or van so you can pick up a shitload of them. You can also take an online course to become a "tech" and make more money.

K51000 likes this.
  17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. Kinda just as I thought, hardly worth it, especially with any and all risks involved.
    Keep the replies coming please.

I'm officially now signed up for Uber with 2 vehicles. Still trying to figure it out while also interviewing and job searching for a job in my profession too.
    Haven't tried to take a call yet- it's only been less than 24 hours though too.

18. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

what about that affects your warranty?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Commercial use - although overall I'm not sure it would. Your insurance it absolutely affects.

tecknojoe likes this.
  20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

It will quickly not become worth it. I suggest Favor or driving for Amazon .