1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANY Ironman Triathletes here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alexdouble-R, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Alexdouble-R

Alexdouble-R Well-Known Member

Just curious to see how many people on here actually compete or used to compete in Triathlons and if they had made it all the way to an Ironman distance.

If the swimming part goes right this winter? I'll be doing a half next year so I have a few questions to ask :up:

2. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Don't bother, soccer is the MOST demanding sport ever. :D

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I think i'd consider an ironman more of a "competition" (or ordeal) than a "sport." I'm sure there's a sanctioning body, but it's not like there's a "season" to win, is there? It's more of a standalone event, like a time trial.

Still more of a sport than anything with subjective scoring, but I digress...

4. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Honestly, the secret to the bike is having a good fitting and asthetically pleasing jersey and bibs. I hear Castelli makes some great ones.

5. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Well-Known Member

Always thought of pushing into the direction of triathlons but i just know u loose so much muscle!...i have too little already.

6. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Never done one, but we were doing field training exercises on the Big Island when I was in the Marines during two ironman ordeals. We got to help work them. Got lotsa drunk too. That's the closest I'll ever get to being in one.

7. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

im doing a sprint triathlon in august

ironman is insane but if one of the biggest loser contestants can do it then anyone with the drive can do it

8. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has competed in triathlon/Iron Man stuff for years...He's not normal, but he's a lot of fun to be around. He just started riding on the street, never rode bikes before. He just got back from some event in the Adirondacks...Anyway, if you don't find the advice you're looking for here he might be of some help, conditioning, training, he's nuts, I think he monitors his cardio when he's taking a dump. He's not a board member but you guys could do the e-mail thing...

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I take issue with some of the Biggest Loser training methods. It's really not healthy for some of those people to be running marathons, even if they can finish. The damage to their knees and other joints is just brutal.

Determination is one thing, but it can get dangerously close to stupidity.

10. Tiffanator

Tiffanator Z1000 Chicky

I have a good friend who has run several marathons and will be starting traithlon training next year. I plan to train with him (doing my first half marathon in Novemeber) and eventually do some sprints. His goal is to do a half ironman. I'm actually pretty excited about it. I'm decent on run and swim, but my postierior is not liking the tiny bike seat. Good luck to you and I'd be interested to learn about your training schedules and how it works out for you.

11. Alexdouble-R

I'm gonna KILL u lol

12. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'm doing my first sprint in 3 weeks. :)

13. Alexdouble-R

Yeah, I was lifting before I started training for this type of events, Already lost like 6lbs of muscle. My legs got bigger tho
    Like a friend just told me I'm still young so I can get the muscle mass back in no time :up:

14. Alexdouble-R

I met a few people that has complete an Ironman and yes if they can do it at like 40-45 I can do it at my late 20's
    All you need is tons of determination to go thru that much pain on training days :D

15. Alexdouble-R

Cool, yeah it looks like I won't have that much luck here lol

16. Alexdouble-R

Man I honestly think that the Cycling part is the easiest one to learn! hands down so u should be in pretty good shape :up:

Yes I will post on here, I have my first full marathon coming up in like 8 weeks :up:

17. Alexdouble-R

Long time no see bro.
    Good luck you gonna love it! Just make sure u eat and hydrate well the week before the race ;)

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Individually, I have completed the length of the requirements. However, I have never put competed in any Triathlons. I did an adventure Triathlon, running, canoeing, biking once in upstate NY.

I am way out of shape, compare to my norm and I cannot wait to do some ultra distances. If I ever make it back to SoFL I will do a Tri-Series.

I believe that with the right frame of mind, anyone can finish any run, swim or biking distance. As long you listen to your body and don't quit on it. :)

19. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Well, this fella is one of your early 40's guys, but he started long before I met him...He's been at it for a long time...He considers a normal (pedal-kiddie) bike ride in the three digit territory. The dude is in sick shape, although now that he's figured out what a real bike, you know, one with a motor -- well, OK, he bought a Sportster -- I figure it'll be all tittie bars and fried foods from here on out...

Well, OK, maybe not...

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Alex, why so focused on muscle (mass).

I want to get old as lean as possible. Just in case I have to drag my own ass.:D