1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANY Ironman Triathletes here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alexdouble-R, Jul 30, 2010.

1. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. That's a bummer. It's never too late. I have seen some amazing people do the unthinkable.

2. Alexdouble-R

Alexdouble-R Well-Known Member

I'm sure u will post on this same thread pretty soon letting us that u finally did it! :up:
    Good luck

3. Alexdouble-R

It’s been 9 full days since I’ve done some type of training and I feel bad about it!
    I started training like 4 months ago and haven’t had a full week off ever since, was only taking a day off in these past 2 months.
    I miss the WED group ride last week due to bad traffic and I always take Thursdays off, didn’t do anything Friday because I had to get things ready for the race weekend at Talladega.
    I spent Saturday and Sunday at the race track came back Sunday night. I woke up Monday morning feeling lazy and lacking motivation so I slept all day, finally realized that I was sick by Tuesday (Cold), so I haven’t done anything this week either.
    Hoping to train this Friday.

What should I expect? How long you guys think is going to take me to get back to where I was? I know it might sound like a stupid question but like I said this is my 1st week of so I’m not sure what to expect.

4. orgsxrracer

orgsxrracer Well-Known Member

You probably haven't lost anything. Its good to take rest weeks and let your body recover. After my 1/2 ironman this summer, I felt so guilty for not logging the miles and I did no running and one bike ride a weekend for 3 weeks and decided to do an olympic distance tri the night before the race. My swim and bike times were identical to the times I did 3 weeks before my 1/2 and my run pace was nearly 1min per mile better than before the 1/2.

Taking some time off, let the batteries charge, is a GOOD thing. I also DON'T recommend training when you are sick and not feeling well, nothing good can come of it and will take longer to get over the cold. Eat well, Hydrate, let your body kill the cold and then start your training again.

5. orgsxrracer

You should have taken my earlier advice, negative splits, 10 and 1's! :Poke:

Congrats, that's great you finished and did with a respectable time!!
    :bow:

6. Alexdouble-R

U just made me feel so much better, I really felt like a freaking loser this week.
    was gonna ride even when I was feeling pretty dang sick on tuesday but a runny nose kept me from doing that. I finally took some advice from a few friends and I am currently letting my body recover 100% from this Cold.
    I have to admit I've enjoyed the time off, I get to go home after work and just watch some good movies.
    It feels weird not being sore tho :D

7. glenngsxr

Agree with orgsx on this one. Us folks that have jobs and such have scheduling conflicts and things that get in the way sometimes. Nothing you can do about it though. That's life. You won't really lose anything. Your first workout back might be a tough one, but that's normal. You will be back to good in no time. My knee is still killing me so I have not ran at all this week, but I looked down the long sidewalk on my street last night and had that sudden urge to run. I felt like a little kid at XMAS. It was the coolest feeling ever. I am gonna do a light 5 miler tonight to see if I can't get this knee loosened up.

I need to do a better time. It's just killing me.....so I signed up for the Denver Marathon on October 17th. Gonna start off slow this time and try to pick it up later. It's a flat course so I should do better with that in mind.

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Did my second sprint triathlon today. This was a much more traditional race compared to my first race. 400m swim in open water, 15mile bike, 5K. It was an awesome race, I am completely addicted.

My goal was a 11 minute swim, 2 minute transition, 44 minute bike, 1 minute transition, 29 minute run for a 1:27:00 total.

I did a 10:48 swim, 1:50 transition, 43:31 bike, 1:07 transition, 28:36 run for a total of 1:25:56. 229th out of around 600 people. I'm very happy with my times. :D

Not sure if I'll do any more triathlons this year, but I'll keep running and losing weight. The goal is an Olympic distance triathlon in early 2011. :beer:

9. white79bu

white79bu Well-Known Member

I am starting to train for my first tri in 2011. I am hoping to do a few small indoor tri's this winter. I was wondering if any of you guys use a heart rate monitor or gps watch. I am thinking about buying the new timex global trainer. The big thing I like about it is it can track the distance you run or ride, your average pace and heart rate monitor. I think I can even use it on the mountain bike. What do you guys use?

10. orgsxrracer

Congrats Scotty!

I use the garmin 310xt as its waterproof, tracks distance, HR etc. Its works great, only downside is swimming it loses signal under water and doesn't track distance accurately while swimming, but it does keep overall time and allows you to track splits during a race as well and works great on the bike and run.

11. Alexdouble-R

hahahaha nicely done, it seems like u need to set ur goals much lower "time", u did exactly what ur goal was so shot for something CRAZY next time like a 2:05 in an Olympic distance and u might just get it :D
    keep it up

12. Alexdouble-R

I have a polar RS400, like it so far.
    Heart rate monitors help :up:

13. Tiffanator

Tiffanator Z1000 Chicky

Hi guys, sorry to bring this back up to the top but didn't want to start a new thread directly related to this one.
    I'm competing in my first ever triathlon Saturday. Swimming is my strongest part so have been swimming about once or twice a week for the past 2 months or so, didn't swim last week so went out last night for one last swim before the tri, when I finished swimming I was so dizzy there was no way I would have been able to get on the bike and ride. Anyone ever dealt with this? The water was a good bit colder than I have ever done any distance swimming in so I had trouble getting my breathing stable at first. I thought maybe I was hyperventilating but I was breathing just like I have on all my other swims. Any tips? Could my respiratory system have gotten that out of shape in a week and a half? I have had some minor dizziness that went away quickly but this was bad and I felt pretty rough the rest of the night. Thanks. The swim went from being the least of my worries to my main concern in just a few minutes.

14. glenngsxr

No, it's perfectly fine to keep using this thread. Helps us to track everyone's progress as well!

I would say it was the colder water. That was the only thing you said was different one this one, correct. Did you do some kind of activity before the swim or did you jump right into the cold water and go. If you jumped in, I imagine it took a lot longer for your body to come up to temp. You body was pulling blood away from the extremities to maintain temp in the core. This probably lead to the little "shock" you received at first when your breathing was abnormal.

You respiratory system is probably in better shape than it was a week ago, not worse. Good luck and don't do anything different from your training except finish stronger. It's too late to change anything drastically.

15. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

Just completed my second ever Sprint tri at lake Lanier Sunday...The first one in I did was my first and it was in June....I shaved 14 mins off the on ein June...I have ridden about 900 miles on the bicycle swam maybe 10 times with one lesson fit in there and I ran maybe 3 times for practice..I HATE RUNNING..

June Tri

1:34:28 swim 12:06 3:01 bike 42:05 2:54 Run 34:24

Current one

Swim 11:19
    T1 1:16
    Bike 39:20 pace 19.8mph
    T2 1:11
    Run 27:31 pace 8:52

total 1:20:35

I placd 45th out of 103 in my age group (35-39) If I can shave 2 mins off the swim and 2 mins off the run...it will move me up to about 15th place

Fastest guy did it in 57:58 and was running 5:19 min miles on the run CRAZY!!

16. Tiffanator

Tiffanator Z1000 Chicky

Thanks glenn... I have done some research and it does sound like the cold water was probably the cause. I'm going to pick up some ear plugs at the store today and swim again tonight. Mostly it was a hit to my confidence. It's a 1/3 mile swim, 16.5 mile bike and 3 mile run. I did a 15 bike and 2 run brick last weekend and felt great. Now I just need to solve the dizziness issue and I'll be ok. I'm slow on all 3 and hoping to just make it under 2 hours overall. I just want to finish this one to get a feel for it, then I'll start dropping time.
    Scotty, congrats on bettering your time from June. What were the distances?

17. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

1/4 mile swim 12.5 mile bike 5k (3.2mi)

18. Alexdouble-R

awesome good job man