1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any input on measuring fuel in the tank between sessions?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ____Kurt____, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can absolutely feel it. The issue is will it affect your laptimes and 99% of people aren't pushing hard enough for it to be a yes.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  2. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

who's got a link for tank foam

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

5. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member

Be careful with the tank foam.I ended up with what looked like a bird nest being built in my SV fuel filter. I can't believe the bike would even run it was so full of tiny pieces of foam. I probably left it in too long. Somebody more knowledgeable can chime in on the proper use.

6. TurboBlew

it needs to changed annually at the very least. Leave a sealed mason jar with a piece in gas on your bench to remind you

malik ross likes this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

The stuff I linked has not degraded at all in 4yrs. Ive moved it between tanks after crashes. I haven't found any small pieces or residue with the tanks open, and the pump filter is clean.

Ive run pump gas, the MA spec fuels, and F&L Xtreme100. I have never run anything like VP MR12.

8. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

We used it all last year at Nelson Ledges with LeanTD endurance series with no issues.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I fall into the entirely stupid about such things category. My brain felt better when I knew exactly how much fuel was in the bike and even more so when I knew there was just enough fuel in the bike. Small bikes benefit from carrying as little weight as possible. If you are on a 150+hp 350 lbs bike then another gallon is less likely to be noticed.

10. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Unless you are racing at the sharp edge, measuring fuel is about #991 on a list of a 1000 things to do. When it does matter however, our crew chief could get the measurement close enough to say - "Where on the cool down lap do you want to run out?"

Ken

11. ____Kurt____

____Kurt____ Active Member

The tank foam seems pretty cool, but how does that impact the ability to check how much gas is in the tank? I have no experience with it.

12. TurboBlew

one of the best in the biz in the post ahead gave you a direction...
    Does your bike have a functioning fuel light? The foam does not impact its ability to function. I promise a gallon of fuel is not keeping you from any podiums

____Kurt____ likes this.
  13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The tank foam can help keep the fuel from sloshing around in the tank. Some riders feel the weight of the fuel shifting in the bike and the foam helps reduce that feeling. It has nothing to do with measuring fuel, but it can help reduce with the "need" to measure the fuel.

____Kurt____ likes this.
  14. ____Kurt____

____Kurt____ Active Member

I couldn't agree more with you about KH being one of the best. I continue to relisten to his podcasts on the daily basis.
    Yes my bike does have a fuel light. I was just curious how the foam would impact checking fuel with a stick, considering you can't see the fuel in the tank or shake side to side.
    We should still be checking fuel to not be that guy.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

the foam wont really impede your ability to dip your stick. Typically a fuel light indicates ~1/2 -3/4 gallon left.
    Having a gravity sump drain makes checking fuel more passive so you can multi task if you dont have pit help.

____Kurt____ likes this.
  16. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

I've been knocking my head about for the past five minutes trying to find the right words for a reply.
    That is fucking brilliant is all I could come up with.

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

There was a guy in the North Central that used to do that very thing, minus the parts washer. He would change everything at the end of a race night of a doubleheader. Oil, fork oil, brake pads, chain, sprockets, etc... It was spectacular to watch.

Then there was Terrance. My first time at PBIR (Beaverrun then) I watched them tear a bike completely to the frame, disassemble the motor, reassemble it, and race the next day. The craziest thing was it was in the middle of a torrential downpour underneath a flimsy canopy. But they did it and gridded up.

stangmx13 likes this.
  18. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

At the top levels of racing ...
    If your fuel level indicator works, you (should) be on a super-sport/super-stock bike, and the low fuel light should be on steady for the last lap.
    For SB, the aftermarket “Lap timer / Tach / Water temp” will not have a fuel indicator, because the stick in your tool box has no inertial moment, if properly stowed.
    Only you know where you compete, and what your budget allows.
    Fuel level/load is one easy thing to control.