1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any electronics engineers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tortuga, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Trying to get an idea of what someone with an engineering degree in electronics does for a job and what, if any, application there may be for someone with such a degree within the motorcycle industry, preferably having something to do with racing.
    Thanks

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My brother is an EE. He is co-owner of a plant nursery distribution company

Really put that degree to work:rolleyes:

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Depending on what area you want to go into but EE is an area you should have less than no issue getting a job (and multiple offers upon graduation) unless you're a complete f@ck up. In the Semiconductor industry we can not find enough of them and have to bring them in from India.

To be blunt, forget racing and cash the heck in.

lazlo and Phl218 like this.
  4. Tortuga

Hahaha aaaannnd if they are a complete f@ck up?
    Can you give me an idea of what an EE's responsibilities would be, for example, in the semiconductor industry?
    Yeah, part of me wants to be finished with racing (and motorcycles as a job) and definitely want to cash in, but letting go of 25+ years exp feels, I dunno, weird.

5. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

What DK just said.

Smiconductors is a great field for EE's. You will work your ass off but the pay is great and you'll be surrounded by brilliant folks.

6. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

It all depends on what your experience is and what you want to do.

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Screw that, get into Controls...

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I have an EE degree and I do data acquisition and suspension for a race team, and I am a service rep for an electric motorcycle company. Jobs in racing as an engineer are hard to find, I had to work my way through the ranks sweeping floors and changing wheels as a mechanic first. Almost none of the s0ftware stuff I learned in college (Fortran, APL, Pascal, Assembly language) apply, but the hardware training and circuit basics still do. You might have to make a few sacrifices and learn the ropes of racing electronics as a bit of an intern before you have enough credentials to work as an engineer on a race team. Suggestion - get a real job that lets you vacation at the racetrack and learn all you can, maybe offer to volunteer for a team.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've been wondering about this for a while and you're the best to answer it - does the EE stuff help in tuning the bikes or is that more programming and actually knowing bike racing? I know it has to help doing what Ammar does building the stuff but always wondered on the team end of it all.

10. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

For consumer electronics you would be doing RF, digital, or antenna design for the most part. Digital is sometimes separated into digital and power.

For instance on a smartphone design you would be on a team. Just for digital there would be and expert for memory, display, camera, audio, power, and sensors. Then for RF there would be and expert for wifi/bt, gps, rx, and TX. Also a few antenna people, esd, EMI etc...

So anyone of those roles you could become an expert at. Typically you rotate some but after a few years a shift from power to digital or RF would be hard.

EE is extremely broad. This example is just for consumer electronics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

that's the way to go.
    ;)

unless you are italian and start at Magneti Mirelli, then go straight to MotoGP and fix the Yamaha.

12. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

This was my first thought as well. Yamaha is looking for some I'd imagine.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I have a possible job opportunity for you depending on your location and experience. It is NOT in the motorcycle industry. Message me if interested

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Depends what your emphasis is in, and if you're open to relocating... I work in Electrical Engineering at Mercury Marine and there is tons to do, from sensor validation and harness routing to board design and application testing etc etc. It all depends what kind of position you want and again where your emphasis and experience is. Likely your only main options in the US are with Harley or Polaris (Indian) but there's definitely plenty to do... To get into racing would be more difficult to find an EE related job but I'm sure if you made the right contacts at either of those companies getting involved in flat track operations could be a possibility.

16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The possibilites as an EE are endless, and you can work anywhere. Gov’t and BIG business offer stability and good benefits. You can be a ‘hands on’ applications type guy, or a Program Manager/business developer.
    Small business offers potentially big investment possibilities, and significant salary increases within successful business vectors.
    Like any other avocation, EE success is 98% perspiration and 2% inspiration.
    Get a degree in business management, the double it makes you very desirable, from the business side.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I have my EE degree as well (from a prominent university no less :crackup:). My title is product manager now, but I work in a small company so I wear many hats and some of those hats still involve a bit of engineering/critical thinking.

My last job was for an automotive supplier that also started building aftermarket IoT stuff. I honestly spent more time writing code than doing any EE stuff, so my years of taking programming classes helped a good bit.

I've seen and heard it from close family friends who want to be in an industry b/c it produces cool and fun toys. To me, looking at anything with too much fine detail sucks the fun right out of it. Its more fun to make money(and easier to make it if you're open) then go and enjoy the things that industry produces IMHO.

18. Tortuga

Wow, the beeb delivers again. Thanks for the responses and info, all.
    Grasshopper, cheers for that, but I'm nowhere near employable as an electronics engineer, plus I live in the Europe so bit of a commute.
    RM, I'll likely be pm'ing you.

19. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The company I work for manufactures and sets up Indoor and Outdoor warning systems for Military (Big Voice), Industrial, Municipal, College Campus, Oil rigs, Ithat are used for any kind of "Shit Hits The Fan" scenario. Tsunamis, Volcanoes, Tornados, Trench Coat Mafia, Active Shooter, Chemical Spills, World War 3 ect ect... We develop all of our own software for command and control, manufacture pretty much all of our equipment in house. So you need experience with AC and DC voltage, Radio Communications, IP, low voltage land line Communications, circuit board level troubleshooting, solar and wind technology... the list goes on and on. You can make enough to pay for your motorcycle habit.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Where in Europe?