1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I was wondering when you would come on and provide some real info...

Agree about knowing nothing. But you know how it goes...the wreckage is barely warm and everyone starts to speculate about what went wrong.

The fact that it was a similar phase of flight to Lion is what is driving speculation on the boards. And from the outside adding something like the MCAS and not really highlighting it during transition training is what makes us non-121 guys (and general public) shake our heads. Ive only had a trim switch stick once and an AP that liked to make crazy turns for no reason... but its not fun when the plane decides to do something goofy.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I was hoping you chimed in. That has been my question concerning training and cockpit culture. Flying outside of this country causes me some anxiety. The training/cockpit culture in other countries is not the same as in this country. An example, and there are several, where the co-pilot was/has been hesitant to challenge the pilot due to them not used to questioning authority. There are several dcoumented crashes were the co-pilot, in essence has watched a confused/disoriented pilot fly the plane into the ground or into a mountain.

3. speedluvn

I can only image being disoriented and systems not working as I beleive they should.

4. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

China has grounded their entire fleet of Max 8’s. That should get Boeing’s attention pretty quick

5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

image000000_11.jpg
    It got Wall Street's.

6. speedluvn

jksoft likes this.
  7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Good time to buy Boeing stock I guess

8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

For sure. And situation may be a better term than crisis. Especially with no data or cause on the second crash yet.

9. speedluvn

With Lion Air cancelling their orders with Boeing. This Ethopian Air "situation" and falling stock prices, I can asure you that it's all hands on deck at Boeing this morning and probably this past weekend with a "damage control mentality" to this crisis.

Spang308 likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

Especially if we find out it’s terror related, maintenance or pure pilot error, not related to the Lion Air issues.

11. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I'll admit this has caused me some concern in the past, particularly when I was flying in Africa. SAA was fine, but when it came to some of the smaller national airlines, like Zambian Airways, there was an added pucker factor for me. There is the cockpit culture issue and also I question whether they have the same level of training and experience. I believe that was alluded to earlier.

12. speedluvn

In addition to that, with the different countries in Africa, the question of the age of their fleet of aircraft and then maintanence of their aging fleet causes me concern as well. Also systematic accountability is another area that is lost when leaving the U.S.

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Still...i bet flying in Africa is safer than driving in America.

The Beer Hunter, zrx12man and ducnut like this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Until the captain decides to buzz the World Cup game with his plane because he's a rugby hooligan :D :D :D

[​IMG]

The Beer Hunter and ducnut like this.
  15. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

True, but the percentage of deaths in major airline crashes is almost 100%, where the possibility of death in an auto accident is pretty damn low.

16. ChemGuy

Child play.
    Tex Johnston did a barrel roll in a prototype 707 over ALL the Boeing exec's and a bunch of airline guys back in the day. Dude was awesome....

DmanSlam, stk0308, notbostrom and 2 others like this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Is that stat true? I recall reading somewhere that these days your likelihood of surviving is actually not that grim.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...what-are-my-chances-of-survival/#7b15c87d39b3

Wasn't sure what you meant by "major". Did you mean major airline like United or Delta, or major crash like the plane going into an uncontrolled dive and hitting the ground at around subsonic speed?

18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Major is in airlines. Private aviation has a pretty good crash survivability rate. We don't see many people walk away from a commercial airliner accident (not including every 'incident' such as hit the gate, ran long on the runway ect.... only legit fell from the sky stuff)

Then again, what I posted was just my opinion, actual stats may be different... too lazy to look it up :)

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup.....if we are to believe the NTSB and their stats, its actually the OTHER WAY AROUND.

"In February of 2001, the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board released the results of a comprehensive review of air carrier safety. They noted, “Fatal accidents such as TWA flight 800, ValuJet flight 592, and EgyptAir 990 receive extensive media coverage. Nonfatal accidents, however, often receive little coverage. As a result, the public may perceive that most air carrier accidents are not survivable. In fact, the Board's study shows that since 1983, more than 95% of the passengers survived.”(That includes accident where, given the criteria above, the accident itself should have been considered “non-survivable.)"

20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

We flew into kbna on Saturday gusting to 28kts
    Metar/ TAF showed some ugly weather with tornado watches in the area. Made me a little anxious especially being in the clouds at cruise the entire flight. The bottom fell out after we landed. Pilots did a fine job but it was bumpy and always fun to do a 360 in the soup and turbulence. I’ve only got 300 hrs TT ifr/multi so this stuff looks scary to me in a twin!

[​IMG]

Gino230 likes this.