1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcement of Pulsejet Project combustor construction phase completion!!

Discussion in 'General' started by E=MC2, Dec 2, 2006.

1. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd share, due to popular request, one of my projects. This is a valveless pulsejet that works due to the elasticity of air. Combustion takes place inside that chamber. As the high pressure area of combustion expands it travels through the pipe and exits from both ends. The expansion completely exits the shorter (intake) side a makes some thrust. Most of the expansion traveling through the longer (exhaust) side exits and creates the larger portion of the thrust. The combusted area creates a low pressure area since it's expanded and cooled so air rushes back in (this can be shown by making an overly longer barrel for a potato gun so that the potato doesn't exit the barrel, the potato will come back into the combustion chamber and either blow out the end cap or bust the ignitor up). As the air comes back in, fresh air is taken in from the intake and the pressure wave/flame front in the tail pipe comes back into the chamber. There is a fuel injector placed in the intake which the incoming air mixes with, the pressure wave/flame front compresses and ignites the mixture, since it's a flame and there is fresh air and fuel..... Anyhow, this process happens extremely fast. In this particular engine it is expected to occur approximately 180 times per second creating a very loud sound at a 180hz frequency and will create approxiamtely 25-30lbs of thrust. A larger pulsejet operates at a lower frequency but at the same wave speed. The Argus pulsejet, as seen on the V1 flying bomb used in WWII, operated at 40hz but made about 900lbs of trhust.

The pictures were taken with a crappy camera so it looks like i'm blinking in one of them, but the camera just didn't pick up my eyes....
    I'd like to thank Britt Lynn for rolling and welding this pulsejet :up: .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look for updates on this project along with pictures and video of it running!

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Brits who remember the "Buzz Bombs" may be calling for you head, butt I salute you for making it this far on a project.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Britt made you a metal bazoon?

4. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Kid looks like a stoner with a high tech bong.

5. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I get high on science :cool:

:crackup:

I guess you could pack the intake, use the sparkplug hole as an o2 hole and inhale through the tailpipe?? Whadya think Davie? :D

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hell if I know but Britt does nice work, whatever the hell it is.

7. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

yeah, the welds look great!

8. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

:D :bow:

9. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

After I've eaten Mexican food, I could use one of those

Fart Redirectors.

10. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Way to go, Nick! If he were still around, I'm sure Dr. Von Braun would have a job for you when you finish your education.

11. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

i never have liked those bastard jews.....

jk :D

12. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Anti-Semitic is not cool. However, the good Doctor did help us beat those bastard Commies to the moon. How long do you think it would take you to get a ram-jet to hit North Korea? :up:

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Asswipe, Werner von Braun was not Jewish.

14. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

right, he helped the nazis.....

ram-jet? I'd be able to build a ram-jet, but so far my GPS based flight path correction systems haven't been developed :D. Talk to Bruce Simpson, he built a cruise missile with the whole GPS flight deal that was powered by a new pulse-jet design he made. He lives in New Zealand and the NZ governement wasn't very happy with him. He had a business deal set up to make these new pulse jets and the NZ government basically completely screwed him over and tried to take his cruise missile. Supposedly, he still has the thing hidden some where. He made his moeny of some website stuff when the internet was still new and he's pretty smart so the cruise missile is kinda believable, he's got pictures of it. http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/diary.shtml

15. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

He was an officer in the SS.

16. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

who cares! that's like 60 years ago! he made sweet rockets!

:D

17. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And us Jews don't like dumbasses. Oh wait, you didn't know I was Jewish? Boy, isn't that a nasty surprise.

19. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Cool! You paid racedad to finish your project. You are on you way to being a Tech grad already!

jk:D <-that makes it ok to say stuff like that.

20. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I just don't have the proper tools or the money for the proper tools to make something like that. $300 slip roll (stainless is very hard to form by hand), around $400 for a bandsaw to cut it accurately, atleast $2k for a decent TIG welding setup.

jews on the other hand, don't have any excuses :D