1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon HQ2- The Final 20...

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

There were actually some cities that were smart enough to not play in the give everything to Amazon game. This isn't the dungeon so that's all I'm sayin'...

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Some business model

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/26/amazon-earnings-q3-2017.html

Investors continue to give a pass on Amazon's laser-thin profits. Operating profit dropped in all three major segments, by 40 percent in total to $347 million, as operating expenses grew 45 percent from a year ago. That resulted in an operating margin of just 0.8%, the lowest since September 2014

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Ever heard of Foxconn? Going in ten miles from my house, and it’s a farrrrr worse deal than that one.

That’s all I’ll say as I don’t feel like getting banned.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude! :crackup: Foxxconn? :crackup: 10 miles from your house? :crackup:DUDE!!!!! :crackup:

Scotty, where you at? Texas?

5. Scotty87

SE Wisconsin. I’m thankfully out of the zone of the medieval style land grab, but it will affect EVERYTHING in SE Wisconsin. The amount of water they are planning on diverting from Lake Michigan alone is mind blowing. Environmental laws have been eroded for them to the point they pretty much don’t exist. Then you get to the fact that there has been nearly zero planning for infrastructure upgrades... it’s going to be a shit show. Oh yeah and it’s gonna be pretty much tax free for those fellas for quite a while.

Already know 2 families from my job alone that are being threatened with eminent domain for their land. How that works for a private entity is beyond me...

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ah, the Wisc plant? They actually hiring people? I thought that one was like 90% automated?

Anyways, yeah, I know Foxconn. :D

7. Scotty87

They say they are going to. What they actually do, what they pay, etc remains to be seen. Like I said, trying to stay out of banned camp.

There’s a giant Amazon distribution center that’s also about ten miles from me that went in a few years ago. It’s a spec on the map compared to Foxconn, and they didn’t get near the breaks that Foxxconn got but they did get some. They didn’t get free reign to do whatever the fuck they wanted when they were building it, though. The feedback on the jobs seems to be mixed at best. Mid to upper level people seem to be happy. Worker drones have a higher turnover rate than telemarketers. Still better than Walmart, apparently. They are constantly looking for people. I have no idea where Foxxconn is going to get all these workers from, and where they are going to live, assuming these job claims are factual. Foxxconn and Amazon will be less than 5 miles from each other, as the crow flies.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Scotty, I don't want to get banned either but your county and state didn't get any great deal. Foxconn into Detroit makes sense. Into an already doing okay community, well, good luck.

9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Scotty87, post: 5248083, member: 17357]
    Already know 2 families from my job alone that are being threatened with eminent domain for their land. How that works for a private entity is beyond me...[/QUOTE]

kelo vs new lodon ct

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Foxconn is good for Wisconsin.

DrA5 likes this.
  11. Scotty87

Yeah it’s nuts Dave. My City, the county I live in and the surrounding counties are doing great. Some of the highest growth and wage rates in the state. Seemed like the only people who were for this deal were the ones up for re election...

12. Scotty87

Are you high?

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not at all. I live in Iowa. :crackup:

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  14. Scotty87

Hah! Well played! :crackup:

15. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

It could be beneficial to my son when he gets shipped to his overseas gig in a few years to sell the house that they bought in Gurnee for a few more $$.

Go Foxconn! :D

:p

16. Scotty87

Puh-leeze.

Ain’t nobody tryin to work in Wisconsin and live in Illinois! Got that whole setup backwards, man! :D

gpz11 and G2G like this.
  17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

You all have it wrong. Place is coming to Canuckistan. Toronto is still in the running.

18. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I was only considering supply and demand. Not the actual financial sense of someone working in WI yet living in IL (although that currently applies to my DIL).

We should still try to have a beer together someday... :)

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

ATL would be fine with me, maybe they'd have the influence to get the counties/cities to actually do some stuff that the city needs for public transport and an outer perimeter.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, like mongo said, Atlanta is perfect for this. Build it right between Bacon Pat's place of work and his home.

Gotta learn that sucko not to try and send that shit to near me. :D