1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

But how do you differentiate yourself in that age bracket? Being at the pointy end of the RC390 class has already paid dividends. How many up and coming AMA 600 racers get a chance to race in England as a Guaranteed part of their program?

I think the results have already spoken. If we already have one racer that has been given a chance, then at least it gives the younger racers that aspire to race in the bigger leagues hope. Hope is better than no shot.

noles19 and wrlamkin like this.
  2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

What route did you choose? How has it paid off for you? I'm not being facetious, just honestly wanting to know...

noles19 likes this.
  3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

That's what I was screamin!

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Participating in two KTM Cup weekends on a bike that somebody loaned him--because he has talent and that somebody wanted to give him a chance to show that talent--had a direct influence on where Xavier Zayat is now.

The kids I've seen in the KTM Cup are as talented as any kids in the country, riding anything. Which is why I pay close attention to the one national class that puts kids on equal bikes with the same suspension, same chassis and same (sealed) engine with the same state of tune. And the bikes are age appropriate for 14 year old kids, vs. 170-mph 600s. The price of used KTMs will come down, the longer the class runs. The first year (2015), all the bikes were new.

In short, the KTM Cup is the greatest national series opportunity to come along and give kids a chance to show their talent, in about a decade. It's also the least expensive; RS125s and Moriwaki MD250H racebikes both cost a lot more to buy and run when they were introduced.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

JU,

Do you think the age restriction will remain after a few years of the KTM cup? Specifically for older racers?

thanks for any insight.

Mark

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm thinking there will be enough used out there I'll do a class like it or run E Superstock at the Nationals in 2017.

7. John29

I think there is something in the works for older racers on KTMs but I have not seen an official announcement yet. The existing RC390 Cup was modeled after successful programs KTM already had running in other countries, including Germany and I think also France and Italy. They wanted to stick to what had already worked.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not JU but I hope so. The entire point of the class is kids. It's not for old guys to get their pro racing jollies. No offense intended at all to old guys wanting to be part of the pro scene but this isn't the class for that.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

EDIT: No offense taken Sean. I agree largely. Old guys racing lil bikes is what club racing is for.

And this is what I was wondering about as I know the general idea has been if someone older wants to do MA - get a 600 and do SS class. I just have no interest in racing a big bike.

Honestly I'm don't think I have what it takes to even do the KTMs, but its fun to think about at times.
    (Plus I have access to a KTM dealer locally who's into racing!):D

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks for the input John!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't mean this directed at your nor do I mean for it to come off as sort of cruel as it sounds. The reality of it is with a club racer budget and/or club racer skills you don't get to go pro racing except as a fan. Hell, it's like me and even club racing, when I could have I couldn't afford it, when I could afford it I didn't have the drive to do it.

RRP likes this.
  12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

No worries Sean. I didn't take it that way at all.

If I really want to race a 390 (and look like a monkey humping a football!), I am confident that WERA will provide the opportunity to do that.

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Will 250SB get to play? Or do I need to start budgeting a new E bike?

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Good news.

Now if I can get mine put back together after Cobb and Parrish blew it up.

15. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

Alright let me explain as far as the bike being 10 grand is the part I find a joke.. you get to see some kids potential but like I said the ones with the bigger pockets were as if it was say a kawi 250 it is a more reasonably priced bike and you would see more kids on the grid but I understand it is about manufacturers sponser as far as getting race experience its kinda of an odd bike to have in club racing not sure if they are legal for e or not but other than that its clubman and d superbike which if cobb or somebody with a well sorted supermoto fzr 400 shows up its not gunna be much of a race. But think of the gap there is between a 390 and 600 I would say what 100hp? That's a big gap not saying people can't do it and haven't done it but what I'm saying is just because you finish in the top of the 390 class doesn't mean you are ready for a bigger ride or that you the next greatest thing. It is a very big gap I have 6 years race exp. And it took a bit for me to get used to a 600 just saying to come in to a 600 class new bike new tracks from a 390 and build these kids up to think they are gunna step out and be on top is setting them up for failure i think just my 2 cents the concept of the class is great just wish it would help more than a hand full of kids

16. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

I decided to completely change my cr 500 clubman and d superbike into a road racing chassis for this year
    Instead of 390 I got my first 600 cbr f3 and it has and absolute blast my uncle now national champion I was able to stay within 2 seconds of him every track he has 15+ years racing vs my 6 years on a supermoto first year on a 600..that was my goal now it is to beat him

baconologist likes this.
  17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So you've been racing as an expert for 6 years, how many podiums? I think you're underestimating the skill of those at the front of the class, whether it is a ninja 250, a KTM 390, D superbike etc... I'm old and slow but jumping off my Kawi 400 onto a Kawi 600 generally meant I was going to go 2-3 seconds faster per lap, Both fast enough to qualify at the back of an AMA 600 SS race, no drama. :) If the racing is fast and close they will get faster and learn how to race, as it's more than just going fast. I watched Elena Myers, Cam B and Bobby Fong go from mini's to 125's and then something bigger. They didn't have any problem transitioning to the bigger bikes. Cam went to Red Bull, Bobby started winning club races on a 600 in his first season, Elena did too her first season on the 600, she might have won her first AFM club race on the 600. :)

John29 likes this.
  18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Buy a new Kawi 250 or 300. Put race bodywork on it, a shock, cartridge kit in the forks, a full exhaust, braided steel brake lines, an Akro full exhaust system, and a slipper clutch (standard on 2016 KTM Cup Bikes) Then add a power commander or ecu flash (are they fuel injected?) or whatever it takes to get them to run correctly with the full system. What's the total cost? Not too far from that 10 grand.
    Also, your theory on the class only helping kids whose parents have deep pockets is total horseshit. A lot of these kids come from hard working middle class families who put 100% into the effort. What the parents lack in finances is made up in total dedication and commitment to their kids dreams of making it big.
    And as far as your comment that the kids may not go fast on 600s, take a look around at their club racing results and you'll see a lot of them are turning 600 lap times that are fast enough to put them at the pointy end of the Moto America 600 superstock grid.

19. John29

Somebody had to write the check to make that class happen, and KTM stepped up and did it. Good for them.

Pretty sure nobody is going to get very far with the idea of a MotoAmerica class based around a motorcycle that isn't even in production any more.

This thread went pretty sideways even by BBS standards...

Cam Morehead, wrlamkin and stk0308 like this.
  20. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

After watching these kids this year, wow! This class is a good thing. There's some really talented kis out there both in 390 now and not even old enough yet to qualify.

Thanks KTM for stepping up and making this class possible!

:rant on:
    Lane, get over it, it takes money to race. Some just allocate and justify it easier than others. What KTM has done is provide a reasonable cost stage for those who want it. :key word: Want it. You or I don't have to participate if we feel the value isn't there. Appearantly others do and are making good returns. So disparaging it does nothing to help the future riders or series. Hell it does nothing to help promote the sport! Lord knows we need that in this iPad, nanny state world.