1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Pic not showing up for me yet? John, any relation to the winner?

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Thanks Big Bird.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

:eek:

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

When I click on the link that Worthless posted, it now shows.

No relation that I know of, but I gotta admit I did a double take when I saw that kid's name. And he's a really tall 15-year-old!

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

OK pic shows up now. Holy cow. They are babies! Fast babies, but babies.

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Who were those 8 racers?

According to the MA web site, three kids won races this year; Gage (5), Mazz (2) and Ortt (2). I'm not saying the series wasn't a success and I'm not saying it wasn't competitive on the pointy end. In fact, I'm not saying anything negative about it and I'm glad the kids got the opportunity to race overseas and show their chops. Some of the reservations I had about the series turned out to be right and some of the things I thought were wrong. I'm glad I had the opportunity with Xavier to participate in it, but I also don't regret not committing to the full season.

7. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

A tall lanky Dutchman... nahhh.

I seem to remember my tall Dutch (former) girlfriend say something like "the tall ones are from survivors when the sea came in."

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

r6boater likes this.
  9. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

It has paid off for a few kids.... Laura Ellis started a team with 2 kids just to race in the KTM RC390 class. http://axcessracing.com/

stk0308, BigBird and cajun636 like this.
  10. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Cam Morehead and cajun636 like this.
  11. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

The Ortt Family is a great group. He is kind of American, EH? Good luck!

12. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

The class is a joke it pays off for the people who have money which has been the story of the Ama for a while now the class is supposed to show off young talent but this particular class only really shows who's daddy's have the most money.. All the talented kids are racing bikes that don't cost close to 10,000 dollars Im so glad I picked a different route

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Welcome to racing, that is how it works for pretty much everyone. The poor folks who can last long enough to prove themselves do happen but it's rare.

That being said, none of those kids who are riding well are doing so because of money. They still have to ride the bike. I remember a LOT of people bitching about the Haydens being rich which was far from the truth too, don't take everything at face value.

lanehammond likes this.
  14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

what bikes are kids riding that don't cost close to 10,000 grand?

wrlamkin likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

SV's, used 125's, baby Ninjas, Groms.... All sorts of them out there for kids.

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Ok if he really means kids sure, but i figured he was talking about 390 age kids. All the fast ones i know are either on a 390 or a 600, both of which are around 10k when all said and done.
    And groms are a bad example since most people have close to 10k in them too:D

scottn likes this.
  17. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

Exactly Im not say that it doesn't happen or that the people in the class are not fast but why would you pay that for a bike that when you can get a 600 which is what they will be on eventually anyway

18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Racing is and always has been about money. Be happy for those who can afford to do it well. For ninety nine percent of us, if you have any goal beyond having fun, you are going to be disappointed.

lanehammond and wrlamkin like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exposure. 10k is also much less expensive than a competitive 600. The kids also in large part aren't ready yet for a 600. Some are sure, but most are not.

stk0308, BigBird and noles19 like this.
  20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

What direction was that? How about a learning curve? Do you think that these kids have not benefited AT ALL from the racing?

This. x's 1000

John29 likes this.