1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA loses Geico

Discussion in 'General' started by Rad625, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

Is this true

2. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Curious what the AMA race series is worth today.

3. If you search my posts back in how to save road racing thread I asked the same question and then answered it. I'll see if I can find it again.

4. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

5. ScreamingSon

ScreamingSon Well-Known Member

Very unclear. Just seems like a logo change.
    I work for Geico and as far as I can see Geico is still partnering with the AMA through 2014.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Removing a company's name from the logo worn on leathers would not be favored by a series sponsor, so I guess Geico is out of the picture :confused:

8. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

It's true Geico ship has sailed,it's a real poo poo deal. Unfortunately from what I understand the terms of their contract were not met on various phases. I don't know this first hand but second hand for sure. I'm not sure what phases or anything but I do know they wont be the title sponsor for the series, I'm going to remain positive and hope they will be sticking around as a smaller supporter maybe of a class or the TV package but who knows. Racing is a tough deal these days,really tough.:(

9. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perverbial "Kiss Of Death".

Didn't DMG just lose National Guard as major series sponsor as well as supporting the Jordan team? So this latest disaster has all the makings of the sound of the other shoe dropping.

And according to the RRW article, this loss of their flagsip sponsor, Geico, not only impacts DMG but, most likely, the CBS Sports TV package. The on again, off again TV package may have just lost its prime advertiser .

Even more amazing in the RRW article is fact that DMG has only confirmed four (4!!!) races.

And, of course, there are many reasons why the DMG Director of Communications failed to return a telephone call to RRW what with the holidays looming. But this has all the appearances of someone hiding under their desk when a devastating development of such magnitude as this hits the press and isn't addressed head on.

In the end, one has to wonder if DMG can even field a series this year. There are only about 3 months until the first race scheduled at Daytona and the flagship sponsor has bailed. The series is reduced to an absurdly small schedule. The TV package appears in severe jeopardy. There are no free standing races West of the Mississippi. How far can this series fall until it just gives up or loses it relevence entirely?

On another note-
    One of the positives that I was looking forward to was the level playing field in the Daytona Supersport class with the equalizing of the electronics package that DMG instituted this upcoming season. This will certainly negate the apparently huge advantage that Graves had over the other teams with their full boat Magnelli Marelli package th past several years. A more level playing field will make for more fan interest.
    Unfortunately, DMG didn't make the same move with the superbike class by allowing the unlimited electronics to continue until 2015. This only will continue to make it a Yamaha/Graves exclusive playground for another year. This will virtually guarantee a very limited performance group competing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  10. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Saw that earlier today. First thought was, "at this point are we even going to have an AMA season next year?"

11. 418

418 Expert #59

At some point we're gonna have the "straw that broke the camels back" moment, surprised this hasn't happened yet actually. This might be it?

Professional road racing is in shambles in this country. Don't really care as much as I used to but I do feel bad for all the guys trying to make a living doing this. Until all the manufactures step back in and want to promote the products they sell, this is going to be the way things are for time being.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If there is only 4, 5 or 6 rounds in 2014 it leaves the window open for another series. Time is tight but it could be done with the right partners.

I'll bet that DMG is calling Lucas oils trying to poach them.

13. Hate McDead

That would be a 'dead air' call. Lucas Oils has a great product to advertise on - a 12 race motocross series with full TV coverage, a big fan base, a national coast-to-coast venue.
    And what can DMG offer them with that call?

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Offer or actually deliver? They can offer all kinds of things like unicorns, rainbows, unlimited peel and eat shrimp, free HBO, 3% cash back on all gas purchases, an Exxon tiger tail will all fill ups of 10 gallons or more and beer, wine or sangria with your meal.

15. Hate McDead

Ain't that the truth.
    There's a world of difference between an offer and the delivery. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

16. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

From what I understoo, that wasnt because of DMG but rather the feds cutting back on "unneeded sponsorship spending" for the sequester (sp?) bs.

And 6 possible rounds? Thats pathetic. Maybe there will be some last minute dates popping up.

17. joec

joec brace yourself

someone should change your name to hate mc negative. :Poke: :D

18. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a interview with DMG Marketing Director Aubrey Harris. Her father Chris Harris is one of the managing partners/owners.

19. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Clubs seem better organized than these people.

20. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I wonder if DMG is partially owned by the government? seems to operate that way :Puke: