1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars Tech-Air Race Airbag System

Discussion in 'Sportbike Track Gear' started by Sportbike Track Gear, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Sportbike Track Gear

Sportbike Track Gear We sell some motorcycle stuff sometimes

PM'ing you with answers to your questions

2. Sportbike Track Gear

We are hearing end of March at the earliest. Alpinestars is doing the best they can to handle the extraordinary demand they are facing right now!

3. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

I guess I'll keep waiting for mine to ship lol.

4. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

9 months later and looks like we're all still facing the same shortage. Have you heard any news on when they might be available again?

5. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

And it's particularly strange to me that A* appears to be phasing out the Tech Air Race (i.e. none of the recently launched suits are Tech Air Race compatible), given that no replacement has been announced (assuming Tech Air 5 isn't its replacement).

6. Sportbike Track Gear

The last update we received was a couple weeks ago and they are saying some time in January. We do have some trickle in every so often but it is just kind of random when they show up. I do believe they have some plans for a new version of the vest but have not heard anything official yet.

7. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the info!

I’ll be ready to buy as soon as you get some size xl’s in.

8. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

You probably will need to order then wait.

9. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

"You are absolutely correct. Alpinestars is not billing the Tech Air 5 as anything but a street-only vest. If airbag protection on the track is your intent, the Tech Air Race is what you need, not the Tech Air 5.
    Feel free to fire away with any other questions!

Best,
    Jimmy"

a couple of conflicting comments upon reading this thread and watching the (tech air 5 vs tech air race) video on your web page. It appears as that the tech air 5 has a "race mode" that can be swapped to from an app. Is this correct? Also, the gent in the video does a great job explaining both air deployment systems and never once says the tech air 5 is not suitable for race track use or is anything but a street only vest. I also notice that the STG webpage does not have the Tech air 5 for sale, or at least that i could find.

If it is not suitable for track/race why are there certain race suits only compatible the tech air 5? Could you clarify?

Sportbike Track Gear likes this.
  10. Sportbike Track Gear

Originally the Tech air 5 was for street use only. They have made updates to it and now it is Used for both street and track with a software update!

Thanks,
    Cody

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  11. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Related question. Last year, I purchased a Tech Air 5 vest but returned it after determining I could not easily use it under my current suit no matter how hard I tried to wiggle in. Since returning it, I was fitted for a custom suit using the Tech Air Race vest to come up with measurements. Now it seems the Tech Air Race is never in stock anywhere.

My question is, should I... A). Go ahead and order a custom suit with the Tech Air Race measurements or B). Wait until Alpinestars comes out with their latest and greatest air vestmajiggything? Not that they would come out with a new one.

12. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I would go ahead. The new Tech Air 10 will work well with a suit designed for Tech Air Race. The problem is the other way: using a Tech Air Race vest for suit that isn't designed for it.

13. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Ah, thanks. I missed the announcement of the Tech Air 10.