1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars Tech-Air Race Airbag System

Discussion in 'Sportbike Track Gear' started by Sportbike Track Gear, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Sportbike Track Gear

Sportbike Track Gear We sell some motorcycle stuff sometimes

How many times have you heard someone say "There are two types of motorcycle riders; those who have crashed and those who will" during a riders meeting? Better yet, how many days did you spend burning laps on the track before you earned the honor of raising your hand when the dude running the riders meeting asked all the riders who have crashed before to raise their hand? (I managed to hurl my precious RC51 into the turn 1 gravel trap at Grattan on my second day) No matter how good or lucky you are, shit happens, making it important you consider all available options in the protective gear category to help reduce the possibility for injury.

Race suits equipped with airbags have been available for the last 6 or 7 years from Spidi, RS Taichi, Dainese and Alpinestars (I have owned ridden in the D-Air, Taichi TRAPS, Astars Tech-Air and Taichi 306 suits). Dainese introduced the D-Air in 2015 which was the first race suit to have the airbag integrated into the suit rather than attaching an airbag vest to the outside of the race suit. Like any other cutting edge product that is first to market, there were riders who had good experiences and others who did not. We all learned a lot during the first year they were being used on tracks across the country. From our perspective, the biggest challenge was getting the airbag repacked and the suit repaired after it deployed. Having them sewn together proved to be a problematic for many riders.

[​IMG]

In the fall of 2017 Alpinestars introduced the Tech-Air Race Airbag Vest into the US. The Tech-Air Race Airbag Vest integrates with select Alpinestars or RS Taichi Race Suits and Astars Jackets which allows you to use this for more than just track riding. In Race Mode it can deploy twice (ALL SIZES EXCEPT 2XL which uses BOTH charges for a single deployment), offering CE Protection for 2 crashes. In Street Mode it can only deploy one time (and only if a first deployment has not occurred), but an airbag deployed in street mode will still be good for a second deployment in Race Mode. The airbag covers pretty much everywhere you see vest, chest, back, shoulders etc... for maximum protection.

When it was introduced both Jimmy and I purchased a GP Tech V2 Race Suit and Tech-Air Airbag Vest to use on track because we felt it was the highest level of protection available. Like any new product we have learned a lot in the first year they have been used on track from personal experience and feedback from riders who have purchased one from us. To date, riders who have crashed while wearing the Tech-Air Vest have nothing but good things to say and felt it made a real difference in the outcome. Riders who have sent the Airbag in to be repacked have reported a turn around of approximately 1 week.

If you are interested in putting the Alpinestars Tech-Air Race Airbag System in your gear bag please shoot us a PM here on the beeb or an email to [email protected] and we will get you dialed in. Below is a list of the race suits and jackets that accept the Tech-Air Race System:

Alpinestars Tech-Air Race Airbag System $1149.95
    Alpinestars GP Tech V2 Race Suit $1999.95
    Alpinestars GP Pro Race Suit $1349.95
    Alpinestars Missile Race Suit $999.95
    RS Taichi NXL107 GP-EVO R107 Race Suit $3399.95
    RS Taichi NXL306 GP-WRX R306 Race Suit $1699.95
    Alpinestars Missile Leather Jacket $599.95
    Alpinestars Oscar Charlie Leather Jacket $649.95
    Alpinestars T-Missile Air Jacket $349.95

Alpinestars T-Missile Drystar Jacket $399.95

If you are riding on track and have room in the budget for an airbag, I personally feel this is the best option currently available. The knot on my right collarbone cost me more than the Tech-Air Vest and I feel it dramatically reduces the possibility of injury the next time I fall down. I believe in this enough to spring for a second Tech-Air Vest for my Son Max now that he has grown enough to fit into an adult sized race suit.

Thank you for your support,
    Brian Van

ajcjr likes this.
  2. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Since the airbag system is separate, can these suits be altered? Specifically, the arms or legs shortened.

3. Sportbike Track Gear

Absolutely - the suits can be altered just the same as normal suits, especially the arms and legs!
    What makes the suit Tech-Air compatible is essentially:
    1) The addition of some extra stretch paneling to better accommodate an airbag inflation
    2) Airbag attachment points
    3) Airbag status LED light strip in the sleeve, which is connected to the airbag unit via a wire that runs up the sleeve to the back of the suit. (And if you were wondering, it's behind the liner, so you can't feel it at all!)

-Jimmy

4. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Are the airbag suits fit to order or standard sizes?

5. Sportbike Track Gear

All of the Tech-Air compatible suits are standard, off the rack sized. There are a few different cuts between the suits, most notably, that the NXL306 is more curtailed towards an athletic/slimmer build.
    The NXL107 is available in standard sizing as well, with the added option of having RS Taichi work with you directly on any necessary custom modifications (for an additional charge).

-Jimmy

6. Sportbike Track Gear

I have the Alpinestars GP Tech V2 and the RS Taichi GP-WRX R306 suits myself. After doing a few days in each of the suits to break them in I had Dan at Sportbike Leather Service alter the arms on both of the suits to dial them in all the way for me. IMO the additional funds invested in each of the suits is worth it in the end. Each of the Tech-Air Compatible suits available offer a slightly different fit and we have spent a ton of time breaking down the each of them to help riders get the best fit right out of the gate. Feel free to post sizing questions in this thread, send a PM here or email us at [email protected]. Jimmy and I will get you pointed in the right direction. - Van

7. zebt66

zebt66 Member

i wear the alpinestar missle suit, 56 size. it is tight on me around the chest with the back protector on. Does the suit need to be a little loose for this airbag system?

Sportbike Track Gear likes this.
  8. Sportbike Track Gear

In theory you should be able to wear the same size suit. As with anything there are exceptions to that. What model back protector are you using with the Missile Suit and are you wearing a chest protector? - Van

9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Just to confirm something I'm wondering now. The new Tech-Air 5 Airbag System is more street oriented, and may not be ideal for track use? Not a replacement for, or equivalent to, the Tech-Air Race Airbag System.

Sportbike Track Gear likes this.
  10. Sportbike Track Gear

You are absolutely correct. Alpinestars is not billing the Tech Air 5 as anything but a street-only vest. If airbag protection on the track is your intent, the Tech Air Race is what you need, not the Tech Air 5.
    Feel free to fire away with any other questions!

Best,
    Jimmy

stk0308 likes this.
  11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

FWIW - I have the Alpinestars V2 Suit which fits identical to the older Alpinestars Race Replica it replaces. I thought to go up a size from 54 to 56 with the addition of the airbag and my bag protector. The 56 was too baggy and the excess would have folded over in the thighs in a crash.

With all of my suits, I put them on in the shower got them completely soaking wet, and then went out and rode in them until they were dry. They fit perfectly after this. With the V2 suit, I got it we with a hose and minded the electronics sections and it worked OK. They finally broke in after a couple of full days sweating in them.

Absolutely pick one up. They are great suits and STG has great service!

cav115 and Sportbike Track Gear like this.
  12. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Can you clarify what it means to have the vest repacked? Is that something you have to do after the 2nd race deployment? How much does it cost to get it repacked?

13. Sportbike Track Gear

Yes, after the 2nd race deployment (or 1st race deployment if the airbag is size XX-Large), it must be repacked. This is a service that is performed by Alpinestars. They charge $300 for this service (it includes an inspection). The turnaround time is extremely quick - generally the airbag is back out the door the day after they receive it.

Please let me know if I can help further!

Best,
    Jimmy

14. Backintheday

Backintheday New Member

Hi there, I love my trackdays so looking to add the Tech-Air Race vest to my compatible suit, but also enjoy some adventure riding. Can the ‘Race’ vest be switched to street mode and used with an adventure (or any type) tech air compatible riding jacket or would that jacket only work with the ‘street’ vest so rider would need to buy a second vest if they wanted Tech-Air system for say adventure riding? The Alpinestars website just shows tech-air compatible suits and jackets, but its not clear which can use the ‘race’ vest only or which are just for the ‘street’ vest. Also asked Alpinestars, but still to hear. Any info appreciated, cheers

15. Sportbike Track Gear

Hey! So there are now three different airbag systems from Alpinestars, and this is how they break down:

Tech-Air Race
    -Usable in race OR street mode
    -Compatible with race suits and sporty style jackets as a general rule.

Tech-Air Street
    -Usable in street mode ONLY.
    -Compatible with adventure/touring style jackets as a general rule.

Tech-Air 5
    -Not suitable for race track use
    -Will fit under a wide variety of garments without the specific need for a tech-air compatible garment.

If you are after a jacket that is specifically touring/adventure focused, unfortunately it won't accept the race version of the airbag, only the street version.

Feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss further. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have and make sure you are taken care of!

Best,
    Jimmy

16. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

I bought the Tech Air V2 suit/vest combo from you - I know A* sells upgraded chest protection - is it really necessary with the vest since the coverage protects the chest area? Can I just slide in my existing ForceField chest protector like I have been doing for many years - and have no negative effect on Airbag deployment?

17. Sportbike Track Gear

Wearing a chest protector along with the airbag comes down to a personal choice. If you choose to it is definitely okay to wear with the airbag and won't cause any adverse affects if the airbag deploys. Personally I do not wear a chest protector with the airbag, as I figure that in any crash severe enough to have a benefit from a chest protector, the airbag will be deploying anyway. Brian and Max also do not wear one. For what it's worth, all of the GP guys are wearing a chest protector to complement their airbag.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

18. tonysony76

tonysony76 Member

my dainese size is 54 for misano jacket and mugello R race suit

what is my Tech-Air Airbag System size (race street or 5) ? medium or large?
    what is my Astar suits and jackets size. are they identical sizes like Dainese... ?

Best Regards

19. tonysony76

tonysony76 Member

comparison between:
    Alpinestars GP Tech V2 Leather Race Suit Tech-Air Race Compatible
    Alpinestars GP Tech V3 Leather Race Suit Tech-Air Race Compatible

whats diferent ?

20. HMBAtrail

HMBAtrail Active Member

Anyone know when the Race version vest will be back in stock? I'm hearing mid March at the earliest.