1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars leather suit fitment...

Discussion in 'General' started by jwm2k3, Jun 27, 2017.

1. jwm2k3

jwm2k3 Active Member

I owned a 44 Astars suit for 10 years, it was well broken in. It had to be cut off me, so I bought a new Dainese Laguna Seca in size 46/56. After wearing it for about 3 or 4 races, its just too tight. Too tight in the torso and shoulder/bicep area.

My question...will an Astars ATEM or GP PRO in size 46 fit me better? I conside my Dainese extreme race fit, i dont like it.

Im 5'11" and weigh about 180-185lbs, medium build.

Thanks for any imput.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm 6' 200lbs and originally bought a 44/54 Alpinestars GP Pro. It was just barely too tight for my liking, so I stepped up to the 46/56 and it's perfect with just a tad bit of room if I happen to put on a few pounds.

I think the 44/54 GP Pro should fit you well.

With the Atem, I think I remember reading somewhere that they run a bit smaller than the GP Pro.

Best bet is to either find a shop that has one to try on or purchase from a vendor with a generous return policy, like STG or Rider's Discount.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2" and used to race in a size 42/52 Alpinestars MX-1 suit and it was snug, but appropriate for a racing suit to me. Now I am in the 190-200lb range and I got a size 46/56 2016 Atem suit from Riders Discount and it is a little large for me. I would rather have the 44/54 and at the last race, I was at 193lb. It is not super huge and I am fine in it, I think I just prefer a little snugger fit. Also, the arms and legs are maybe 1-2" too long even for me at 6'2". Workable, but at least an inch long. I'm a 42 chest, 34 waist and 32-34 inseam. My feeling is the 44/54 would be better unless you have a thick chest. I am a slimmer build.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Wow, I have a 46 Atem, am 6'0" at 185. My Atem fits a bit snug (I wear a chest and back protector) but I never notice it on the track...other things to worry about. Only gripe with the Atem is the poofy cuffs on the legs and arms...would much prefer a standard leather cuff.

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I am about your size and the 44 gp pro fit me great. Granted this was a few years ago. Their suits tend to change a bit year to year regarding size.

I will say if you are looking at paying gp pro money why not have pilot make you one to fit? Would be cheaper and they make a fantastic suit.

7. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Go custom - I'm basically your same size height and weight wise - Have a D-air 54/44 an ATEM 54/44 and Pilot 46 chasis with extra circumference around legs and chest (for Forcefield shorts and Knox chest/rib protector/ Forcefield Sub 4 back protector (both thick) - two inch shortened arms and legs.

Dainese - as you know, extreme race fit - sucks off the bike - glorious on the bike - arms and legs could lose an inch - wear chest and back protector - no chance on the shorts - it's my go to now - took a good month to break in.
    ATEM - more relaxed fix - can actually walk around in it off the bike - more "comfortable" - can't wear the shorts with it but it has integrated hip armor - wear chest and back protector with it - hate that it's made in China - already have the red stripe printed on it flaking off (basically have 5 days riding in it).
    Pilot - measurements to fit "comfortable" with chest, back and legs/hip protection. Fits exactly as I designed it - now feel like I'm swimming in it compared to the A* and Dainese - crash tested it - held up well.

I personally can't see how you're not swimming in a 46 and definitely think the 46 A*'s would be too big - but we are probably built differently and have different preferences (I'm an athletic build with shorter arms and legs) - go Pilot and get it exactly the way you want it (the greatest thing about the Pilot to me is the length of the sleeves and legs - Everytime I put on the other two, I curse when I put on my gloves and boots where with the Pilot I giggle and seriously consider letting someone hack the other two.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Have a pilot as well. They send you a test fit suit, if you like the fit then you buy that size. I tried their 46 it fit great so that's what I bought. When my suit was made it was different...much tighter. Had to have BB modify the sleeves. I don't have Popeye arms, but damn, the suit was so different. Could be the test suit was stretched out from so much use?

9. SWAT_Spyder76

SWAT_Spyder76 Well-Known Member

I have a custom Pilot suit. Expensive. The measuring process was terrible and they botched my suit twice causing me to miss some weekends and billed me for their mistakes. They claimed I measured wrong but after I sent them pictures with the measurements it got quiet real fast. Overall fitment is ok. I agree custom is the way to go, but next time I will be trying something else. Had a minor lowside and found torn stitching already... my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jwm2k3

jwm2k3 Active Member

Well, i ended up buying a used Alpinestars GP PRO in size 46. If it dosent work out, Ill sell it and get a 44....

Ill know it a few days as soon as it arrives.