1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is gear smaller?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Mar 25, 2017.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

All my old gear is worn out so I ordered new stuff and nothing fits. When I first started riding in 2005 I bought a small Arai and a 46/56 Astars suit. The helmet fit great but the suit was too big.

Fast forward to today. I weigh the same, if not a little less. I ordered a small Bell Star because I was told they fit the same as an Arai. I couldn't even get it on. Ordered a sz 44/54 Astars suit, and can't get the thing over my thighs.

The only thing that fits is the gloves, but I've bought a few pairs over the years and actually had to go from large to extra large on the second set I ever bought.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No. You're fatter. Including your big fat head.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Which astar suit? and yeah, shit seems to be smaller especially euro gear. No idea on the lids.

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

It's the manufacturers' attempt to discourage ordering over the internet.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was checking the label on the suit to see if it was tagged wrong. I couldn't even get it all the way on my leg!

vizsladog likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Same here. Arlen Ness 'Roo 42/52 fitted. Spidi 44/54 not, ended up getting a 46/56 dainese that fits now

7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Women have been dealing with "vanity sizing" for years.

Maybe this is the reverse situation.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Sizing changes as models change. It's a new product made w new dimensions on new forms. It's silly to expect 10yr newer gear to be exactly the same size.

I've also found that high end gear is generally a little smaller than entry level stuff.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

GP Plus suit

10. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

I think the trend is leathers fitting waaaayyyy tighter now. Used to wear 44 suit. Bet i cant get a leg in one now

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And that should be complete BS. Measurements haven't changed. An inch is still an inch. Metric is the same, too.

dobr24 likes this.
  12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Weight is deceiving. I can be fat or fit at my target weight. Weight plus a few key measurements tells a much better story.

Sizing does change with style and vanity.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Weighed 174 when I graduated from HS ('74), currently 183. Skinnier legs and arms and bigger belly....Why can't I fit into my old stuff? Truthfully, when I see WWII vets fit in their old uniforms I have to ask just how the hell they do that!

Metalhead likes this.
  14. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I think the sizes are getting larger. A large 10 years ago is not a large today. I used to get all my shirts in size large. I'm like a medium now.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well from talking with my dad and a few older guys, at some point, you start dropping so much muscle mass and possibly other reasons, you lose weight.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Now I'm getting a little concerned a 46/56 won't fit.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'll just throw this out there..... IMAG0454_1_1.jpg

bleacht likes this.
  18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

What concrete measurement is a small helmet? What if the shape changes? What measurement is a 54 suit? What if they find a better fit for the legs? Hell, should all 180/55 rear tires be exactly 180mm wide and 100mm sidewall height?

Changing measurements is not BS, it's development.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You want me to send you some of my old knee pucks so you can look a little more credible?

turbulence likes this.
  20. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I'm sure there's an angle grinder in his garage somewhere....:D