1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice 4 RV 4 trackday / race weekends

Discussion in 'General' started by Digidaze, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Digidaze

Digidaze Well-Known Member

Anyone got some links to good websites for buying used RV’s in Southern California? I noticed Kelly Blue Book does not show values online for free, is there anywhere else I can this info for free? Also info on brand recommendations would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

yeah...here's some advice.

drive down to the gas station, look at the price of gas.

put down the rvtrader...and just plan to stay in a hotel.

3. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

Look in Arizona, there is a high turnover of RV's around the large retirement areas Not being morbid, just honest

RV.net has some good listings and advice

traderonline.com has a whole section for RV's nationally

Do your research and you can find some really good deals right now.

don't limit yourself geographically to purchasing one

We have been looking for a class A diesel and have found a range of 348K retail
    with cost running 189-243 on the same model/build.

4. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I bought mine ( a 26ft Class C ) when I lived in Socal from Cruise America www.cruiseamerica.com
    in Carson ( right off the 405). They totally refurbish them and I got a great price, about half the cost of new, I got the V10, pulls my 6x12 enclosed like it isn't there. you don't drive it enough for the gas costs to really mean that much, insurance generally costs alot less too. I'm insured thru Gilbert RV insurance ( found them through an RV magazine, after wading through all the senior citizen crap!!) Sooo much better at the track, especially if you have a family, than some Motel 6 with stained sheets, and you got your own toilet!!

5. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Jig, from a fuel perspective, my 32' class C diesel gets 10mpg while towing a loaded 23' trailer whereas I was getting about 7 in my gas van towing the same trailer...

(I did however, get ~15 while towing that trailer with the diesel pimp van)

Regardless, an RV is a luxury and for 99%+ of the people who have them, they are not financially justifiable. Mine sure as hell isn't, but I love it just the same...

6. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Liberty coaches are the only way I'll roll.:beer:

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The 34' 454 gas we had got 5, and that was going downhill with a tailwind. I'm glad I sold it when gas was a buck a gallon.

<edit> A lightweight, reasonably sized toyhauler trailer is in our future.

8. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

hehe... the newer duramax's are a far sight better... My same unit in a gas model gets 7'ish. I've gotten as high as 11 on flat land, no towing with no headwind, and as bad as 8.6 going through Nebraska with STUPID headwinds while towing 8500#.

9. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I guess I get around 8, my bronco only gets maybe 10, so who cares?:beer:

10. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Oh, and if you want values, check www.nada.com they have them. Not terribly accurate, but ih the ballpark.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

its still cheaper for me to bring my gas motorhome 900 miles each way than to drive my diesel truck and staying in a hotel (both towing a trailer)

12. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

:stupid:

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

What kind of mileage are you getting with those vehicles, and what are they? Sounds like you might have what he needs.

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Yeah, Deidre says she and the kids won't stay in the 6x10 with me...what's up with that? I keep telling her it's a family bonding opportunity, but evidently she ain't buying it. :D

I can get 11 or 12 mpg towing a reasonably sized trailer with the Suburban, which I can live with.

15. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I bring the 9 inch TV with the DVD player and my 7 yr old is thrilled. My wife is happy that she doesn't have to deal with the elements and all the race gas stink!! I love having my own crapper!!:up:

16. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

I'm just at the point in my life where I don't want/need to suffer through the heat anymore. I like A/C, I like a couch and a bed there at the ready...plus I really really like staying at the track. all the crazy fun starts when the racing stops :D

KK-whatcha lookin at for a toyhauler?

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I've got AC, a cot and a folding chair in the 6x10, what more could you want? :D

The Outback and a Weekend Warrior front bedroom, either around 25 ft. I'd have to dig up the specific models, and will if you like.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

+2........Ive been keeping tabs on RV's for a few yrs now and from what Ive heard all this time there is no other way to go than DIESEL.

A buddy of mine had a toyhauler, I guess if you cant afford anything else it'll do but transforming a garage into your living quarters (smell of oil, gas, etc...) isnt my first preference. And they dont pull all too nicely either.

19. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

get rid of your diesel truck.

20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It's what I want, not what I can afford.