1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 HP SV's Please?

Discussion in 'General' started by ekraft84, Nov 20, 2002.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Hey Guys,

As a relative newcomer to the WERA scene, I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm in for if racing with other SV's.

I raced a 64 hp Hawk last year in MGP (GLRRA) and was able to somewhat keep up with the other SV's (being there was a 75 hp limit), which was fine. Now, the Hawk is sold and I'm looking at getting either an SV or a 600. If I go the with the SV, how many SV's are out there that'll be in the 80+ hp range, where I'll need to worry about making some serious engine enhancements to keep up?

- eddie

2. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

3. 3-2jim

3-2jim Member

You will be fine Eddie but remember there no replacement for displacement.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I better do something, seeing that now I've gotta get whooped by you as an expert. :)

5. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

sure there are; crank, rods, pistons, valves, head, etc. , <--- just some of the things you'll have to replace when you bore the snot out of a SV :D

6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

SV's

ekraft,

it depends upon the classes you want to run. I just got an SV racer from a buddy of mine. I"ll be racing in Dsuperbike and lightweight twins...

here's my thoughts (and the rule books)-

D-superbike: superstock SV's w/ slicks. basically you can do suspension mods (RT springs and valves and new rear shock), pipe, bodywork, jet kit and slicks. NO raised tanks, no lightweight subframes, no race air filters. Very competative because everyone SHOULD be stock...

Lightweight twins and Formula-2: modified bikes. I'm sure there are a few 85+hp bikes out there. 700cc, cams, light headwork and flatslides will get you to around 85hp. Would be that most are in this range. Takes more motor work and decreased durability to go beyond this... (lightweight twins would be best class for modded SV's- f2 would be tougher as you'll be up against 250 smokers)

you could also play in heavyweight twins depending upon tracks and skill levels.

hope this helps...

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

So basically it's a tough call either way. If you run D-Superbike, that's great because you're going against bikes that are "equal" to yours. Although if you want to run in the other SV classes, you'll be running against the heavily modded SV's - severe disadvantage.

If you go with an SV that has 70-80 hp (I would guess that 85+ hp bikes are somewhat rare - at least I hope so), you can only really run in 3 classes, and one of those is Heavyweight Twins where you'll be playing catch up with the Duc's.

I'm used to running 6 lightweight races a weekend - dropping down to 3 isn't any fun. :)

- eddie

8. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

you got an email address?

9. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Most of the guys in the SE keep their SVs stock so that they can run all of the classes. So most of the SVs running Light Twins and Formula 2 here in the SE are stock. You will occassionally run across a "cheater" bike. ;) :D

10. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Don't talk about UGA Dawg like that.;)

11. 3-2jim

3-2jim Member

Go stock Eddie, My bike was stock until this year. You can take mine out next year to see the difference in performance. If I sell my 600 I may buy a new 03 SV and keep it in SS trim and run both SV's.

Jim

12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

2wf

There's a guy out of Denver who is selling a 100 rwhp SV700. Check out 2wf about a week ago. His webpage shows a dyno graph with 100 RWHP, 55 lb-ft T.

With that, you could be damn tough in D SB, and pretty damn competitive in C SB.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2002
  13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

that's just sick and wrong.

14. Rossirules

Rossirules Well-Known Member

There are plenty 100hp SV's out there. And a hell of a lot of 90+ hp ones. They all showed up at Daytona ROC.

They finished 2nd and 3rd in LWGP to Greg Esser whos a pretty fast AMA 250guy. And they weren't far behind him at the finish. They were doing 2:02s and some 2:01s. I think Oliver/Sorensen qualified there at maybe 1:57,so those dudes have some fast bikes. Because,not taking anything away from them, I don't think their riding abilities are within 4-5 seconds of Oliver/Sorensen.

Good news for WERA guys is DSuper and the Suzuki Cup. That keeps most of the guys coming down to the GNF relatively stock.

15. vintage916

vintage916 Member

aww hell, just run an SV 1000 and tell everyone it's a strong running 650 with Nutec, I'm sure no one will catch on .
    Seriously, I chased Bradley Champion on an SV 650 in several heavytwins races and and came close to catching him a couple of times but never could quite pull it off (on an Aprilia Mille R 1000). I think it had something to do with his riding abilitiy...

16. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

Ed

I run North Central, which is where you will probably be running also. There are many SV's but I only know of two that are 'built'. One of those guys is moving to Expert next year - I hope:D If you keep it D super legal you can be competitive in LWT, F2 and HWT giving you four classes to race. I think the majority of SV's are in the low 70's HP range.

Don't forget to run tank spacers - they give you 8 hp down the straight at Road Atlanta.[​IMG]

17. a600ccgirl

a600ccgirl Well-Known Member

What is the advantage for getting weight OFF your bike? I want numbers if anyone understands my question and I can word this right.

For example, you run a 70hp SV that weighs total 450lbs with bike+rider. Then you replace a few things with lighter stuff and the rider loses weight. Then, the combined weight is 420 lbs.

Is that the equivalent of "gaining" so-many hp?
    I know you are not really gaining hp but rather being able to use less of it to fight the gravity and more for acceleration. Like 10 lbs less on the bike will be able to let you utilize 2 more hp that would other wise be fighting the inertia.

Does this make any sense or am I just too tired? That ratio (if there is one) is what I'm looking for.

I'm really just looking for a reason to turn down dressing and gravy and pecan pie. I feel like I'll lose hp from gaining weight and I really want to kick butt next year and need all the advantages I can being as experience challenged as I am.
    I think I'd rather my knee be dragging to rather than my hips. Tee hee.
    Jeez, its bedtime.

18. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

I've heard 7 lbs = 1 HP

So if I cut off my right leg the power to weight ratio will be close to B superbike:D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2002
  19. a600ccgirl

a600ccgirl Well-Known Member

Re: 2wf

Dang, I thought I only drooled in my sleep....

20. jamaha

jamaha Member

I've heard that loosing 8 lbs. is like gaining one horsepower. Not bad considering the expense of dieting versus performance parts. Loosing weight would be well worth it I think, for a myriad of reasons.