1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7x12 or 7x16

Discussion in 'General' started by tanks95, Jul 26, 2012.

1. tanks95

tanks95 Well-Known Member

Looking at an enclosed trailer. I’m thinking 7x12 to fit my needs and truck.

Storage needs: Mini hotel room, small roll away tool chest, single bike transport, mini lounge, associated "stuff"

Truck: Chevy 350, 2 wheel drive

What do you guys think? A 7x16, would be a bit much for my truck I think?

William

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Never go smaller unless you have to

3. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Split the diff, get a 7x14.....at the very least, get a v-nose.

And trailers are like sheds....the minute you get one, you will wish you had one with more space.

4. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I got a 7x16 it was only 180 lbs more than the 7x14

5. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

7x16, V-nose, all aluminum... and make sure it has torsion axles.

Also, if it's an option, make sure you opt for the extra interior height.

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

7. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

That truck should be able to pull any of those choices. The bigger will be more work to pull but it will do it.
    I have a 7x16+v and it's a good bit of space but it doesn't take long to fill it. The bigger you go the more crap you will carry. Witch can be good & bad.

8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

7x16 definitely.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

For what you're wanting to carry, nothing wrong with a 7X12. Going bigger right off the bat is great until you see the MPG go to shit and then you're looking at having to upgrade the tow rig.

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

With trailers I've learned that it's always better to go a little bit bigger then you think you need, then to need more room and not have it.

You should have no problems hauling it with that 350.

11. tanks95

Yup, it will be a V-nose

Really?

Oh, yea. i seen the "motorcycle trailers", that are elf height.

hmmmm

this is where my mind is. When gas cost more than race fees and tires for the whole weekend, that sucks (Barber)

12. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

yep, it's only 2 more feet of metal

13. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

For a trailer this size, with your truck, weight means little, it's more about pushing wind. When i bought my v-nose, even the sales guy said the mileage diff is almost incalculable between v-nose and non v-nose. I have a 6.5x12 Worthington all aluminum trailer that weighs just under 1K lbs empty. Towing it empty vs. towing my 4500lb camper loaded...no gas mileage difference.

FWIW, IMHO, you will never regret the extra space if it doesnt cost much. That being said, my 6.5x12 has easily hauled 3 bikes and all the gear multiple places multiple times. If I had to do it over again, I'd go 7x16 dual axle and electric brakes, but honestly, I really like my trailer.

good luck with your decision

14. tanks95

What's a good price?

Was quoted 2900 for a 7x12

3200 for 7x16

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Sounds cheap, make sure to check the specs, there's plenty other trailer threads to search on here for things to look for in a trailer.

16. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Buy as big as you can, as far as gas your screwed anyway you look at it, i pull a 30ft toy hauler with a 1500 and get 10mpg.... i pull a 6x12 enclosed loaded with one bike and same truck i am lucky to get 12.5.

17. :stupid:

I can guarandamntee if you buy the 7x12, you will be wishing you got the 7x16 in less than 6 months. Especially when you go inside somebody else's 7x16 and see the difference. 4' of room is a lot.

As far as gas, like he said, the biggest problem is actually pulling any trailer through the wind. You won't realize much difference (if any) from pulling a 7x10 or a 7x18 of the same type trailer.

18. Fastway Racing

Fastway Racing Well-Known Member

I looked at a 7-12 then a 7-16, I'm so glad I went with the 7-16 as I can actually have it set up comfortable and fit two people in it and not feel like a matchbox. If need be I can always take shelter and sleep in it! 12 foot would be tough to fit my stuff and sleep. I pull it with a 07 GMC Sierra 5.3L and get around 10.5 MPG doing 70

19. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Super satisfied with my 7X16 v-nose. Plenty of room, it's a load for a 1/2 ton on the interstate, not bad on a regular highway. Only wish I had a toy hauler now. Mine might be for sale, but it cost twice as much as the prices you were quoted. I would do some comparing before I jumped on one at those prices- it's either a GREAT deal or not a very good trailer.

20. At first i had a 6x10 open trailer and it was fine; didn't see a need in anything else. It only lasted 1 weekend and i got a 7x12 enclosed trailer.

After 6 months, i wanted something bigger.

Now im in a 41' toy hauler. I haven't outgrown it yet, but i have only used it 4-5 times. :D

It can be done in a 7x12, but it will be much more comfortable in a 7x16. The initial expense isn't that much different and neither is the gas mileage. It will be much cheaper to get a 7x16 now and be done with it, instead of getting a 7x12 and then buying a bigger one later.