1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$4 a gallon

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Apr 24, 2008.

1. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

I fill me up with 2%. Gas would kill me, but with milk prices where they are, I did consider it.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Glad I don't live there anymore.:D

If consumption is cut then the price will go up because the oil compies still have to make their margins. It's a lose lose situation.

4. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

There was an analyst on last night talking about the oil bubble. Its similar to the housing bubble. The prices are at an unsustainable level and will come down soon. He said the fundamentals point to about $50 bbl oil.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That brings up an interesting question. When most deliveries are made by truck a "fuel surcharge" is added right? If a transport delivers, say, produce from Mexico and they add a surcharge should the local delivery truck also add a surcharge? If that's the case, does the local trucking company charge a surcharge on the transports surcharge? (this could get out of hand) :)

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Analysts can say what they want because I can go across the street and find another analyst that will say prices will keep heading north.

The reality is that only when the traders stop buying futures at $100.00+ per barrell will we see relief.

8. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Not when there's money to be made.

It'll hit $7 in no time.

belieeve dat

And, watch how much food price will climb now.

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

The explanation that I've heard from a couple of sources is that refining diesel is more troublesome because of the low sulfur content. The "new" diesel (since 1998) has lower sulfur content than before and this will get more complicated in a few more years when the "ultra low sulfur" diesel is introduced. That's what they have been using in Europe for a few years. It's cleaner burning and allows more sophisticated fuel management systems in the newer engines.

I think Honda, VW and Mercedes has diesel cars that are getting up close to 70 mpg in Europe.

10. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

VW has cars here now that can get 60 or more when driven properly. My 98 TDI gets 45+ with me driving it, and don't drive it easy at all.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  11. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

A few years from now y'all are gonna look back at this thread and laugh about how cheap $4 per gallon was.

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I wish that were true here. Sunday I got a gallon of Organic reduced fat milk that cost $6.00

good God! What am I saying. I don't want to see 6 dollar gasoline.:eek:

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Todd! Don't do it. People laugh when you hit your horn and it goes Mooo, :)

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a couple of friends that own TDI Jettas. Both get around 46 to 48 mpg. Of course, with diesel at 4.00 that advantage is cut some. I just bought a 1994 Geo Metro with the 1L three cylinder engine and 5 speed. I'm sorry I waited so long to buy it. The little sucker gets 45 to 47 mpg in town. That's as good as my 95 BMW R1100RS gets. It's a lot more comfortable in the rain also.:up:

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are those illegal in Texas?

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wait, I'm getting something... Yes, yes! I see it. Two of the Pussycat Dolls will be visiting Orvis before the end of the summer.

But only two, because the rest are with steeltoe:D

17. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

The 1982 Yamaha SR185 in my avatar got over 400 mpg but nobody cared when gas was so cheap: I have been waiting since 1983 for gas prices to rise to a price where someone cares...we're getting there.....anyone who cares check out this website:

www.craigvetter.com

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Have you looked on the road lately? Folks care about being seen in their Escalade/H2/F350 Harley Davidson Limited edition:D

19. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Fuel surcharges suck! They aren't fuel surcharges at all, they are simply a way to raise rates without re-negotiating a contract. For instance out of all the clients I had only one client that paid a fuel surcharge on every assignment, the rest were paid on a contingent basis, and were typically not paid on "voluntary" repossessions. I don't know why people can't just say screw surcharges fuel prices aren't changing here is my new rate.

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

A shitty economy may be the only way some of you dudes will vote for a candidate who supports drilling in ANWAR.