1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$4 a gallon

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you very much. You must understand however, when they get here and, if I end up hurting my back again, I will be pissed off. (not much though):up:

2. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

I beg to differ with everyone as to root cause. The Chinese are the reason prices will continue to go up, doesn't matter where we drill, the Chinese can and will use it and are willing to pay for it.

The US is going to have to get used to the fact that we have been overtaken in every way by the Chinese.

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've cleverly disguised it to look like a pickup truck. :up:

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

If you can find us a candidate who, not only supports it, but, also is willing to drive the drilling rig to the drilling site, I'll vote for him. Hell, I'll even work for his campaign. :clap:

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I live out in the country West of Fort Worth and have to deal with the F250 Fords, 2500 HD Chevys, and the Dodge 2500's every day. Hummers, Escalades,
    Tahoes, you name them and they're here in Parker County Tx. My area is the new place to move to because of the stellar school district. All the new homes going up for the past 10 years are mostly in the 300,000 to 600,000 dollar range and the people all drive big cars. They don't give a rats ass how much gasoline they burn because they can afford it. They also think they own the roads because most of them are pompous asses. :down:

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:)

7. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

I don't think that cost jumped with the price of oil. Refining is a fixed cost per gallon for the most part. Seriously, something besides oil price and refining is driving diesel fuel increases.

8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Isn't the refining process different with the low sulfur fuel? I don't know but it seems like I read that somewhere.

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Jugglenutz, beware of adding things to your fuel in your efforts to get better mileage. After watching this kind of thing for many years I have never seen or heard of any of these additives that helped and many of them destroyed the engines that they were used in. Believe it or not, engine designers and builders kind of know what they're doing.

On that same note, I saw a reference to a process called "Hydro Assist" posted in a tread just a couple of days ago. (I can't seem to find it again) It's trying to sell a system that uses water to assist the combustion process in an internal combustion engine. That has been tried so many times over the last 50 or 60 years it's not even funny anymore. I remember hearing about it in the late 50's and it didn't work then either. There are however, enough fools out in the world to make the new group now selling it rich. It lists for about 1000 bucks.

To my knowledge it's been used only once successfully. The P51D airplane used a type of water injection to increase the output of the Allison engines under full throttle. When the "safety" wire placed behind the throttle lever in the cockpit was broken, the engine was pulled and, completely rebuilt before it was used again. A lot of them were destroyed. Steam causes almost instant detonation and the piston crowns are damaged plus the rods and crank are loaded beyond their limits.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Lever is an engineering visionary. You better recognize.

So those guys have a few university diplomas and years of experience designing this stuff. So what? It doesn't mean you can't find a better solution on the Internet and implement in your garage. :Poke:

11. phillycheezstak

phillycheezstak Well-Known Member

even mythbusters bust acetone fairy tale. car got worse mileage with acetone added to tank.

who is lever?

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Jeff Lever a.k.a Jugglenutz

13. phillycheezstak

phillycheezstak Well-Known Member

ok thank you. is jugglenutz his race team name? i searched but can not find jugglenutz racing or anything like that. mr jugglenutz do you have a web site?

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

These "inventors" are counting on it. :D

15. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

look at the breakdown on the chart I posted. Diesel is more expensive to refine per gallon, but that should be a fixed cost per gallon, so why when gas jumps 7 cents does diesel jump 15?

16. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

I actually bought my Jetta a few years ago when I was still trying to race, but economize at the same time. I don't know of any gas cars that can pull that type of weight (bike, generator, tools, and other stuff) and be able to do 70+ while getting 32+ mpg. 45 to 47 in town though that is better than my TDI gets with me driving it. I'm also hoping that I can get 400,000+ out of the car since it is a diesel. Yes diesel prices do suck, and if I wasn't so lazy I'd be making biodiesel by now(I have the book on how, I'm just lazy). I have had people tell me I should get a bike, but that car gets around the same mileage and is much more comfortable.:up:

17. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

$4.00/gal., regular unleaded, finally happened today in Calif. :down: