1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Dec 17, 2012.

1. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

been posted a few times...

3. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

sorry...can't keep up with all the posts on this topic. :(

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ting-and-11-other-no-duh-studies-of-2012?lite

"5. Keeping guns out of the hands of troubled individuals saves lives

In a report that would tragically prove very timely this year, the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health found that keeping guns away from high-risk individuals prevents gun violence. These individuals include criminals, those with a history of domestic violence, the mentally ill, people under age 21 and substance abusers.

The report also found that the availability of high-capacity magazines increased deaths in mass shootings.

"Mass shootings bring public attention to the exceptionally high rate of gun violence in the U.S., but policy discussions rarely focus on preventing the daily gun violence that results in an average of 30 lives lost every day," said study author Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research. "Addressing weaknesses in existing gun laws by expanding prohibitions for criminals, perpetrators of domestic violence, youth, and drug abusers, and closing the loopholes that allow prohibited persons to obtain guns can be effective strategies to reduce gun violence. It is important to note that making these changes to our gun laws would not disarm law-abiding adults."

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I feel dumber for having read that. Honestly. I don't want to guess how many millions of dollars Johns Hopkins got paid for that retarded statement. Jesus.

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No sane people are arguing that point.
    It's the seemingly insane ones that have any argument against guns without considering that it takes a person to pull the trigger.

8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

+1
    I don't know what's going on either.
    Our local (LARGE) County Police Chief went on camera recently and said we need to arm the teachers and have guards.....
    and also said, there is no doubt someone is currently planning a bigger "one" than the recent CT one.
    I have a sick feeling he is right. It never seems to end, and seems to happen more and more.

:confused::mad::mad::mad::confused:

9. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's happening less often. That is a fact of pure numbers, no trying to make the stats lie to suit your purpose.

Just because YOU are hearing about it more, or YOU are seeing it on the news more, doesn't mean it's actually happening more.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

I'll give you an opportunity to inform us ignorant peons exactly how you would intend to determine who is "sick"...or not. You wrote it, you must have something in mind, a 'mental and emotional health divining rod. Inform us.

By the way, murder of a few and murder of many has been going on for quite some time, in fact, from the beginning of the time of man.

12. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

13. aedwards01

Thought this was funny. Some dick newspaper posts the name and addresses of people in New York who have a permit to own a gun, one this isnt news. Two, its nothing but a form of intimidation by the newspaper pushing their anti-gun agenda. So someone else gets the names and addresses of the employees and posts them. Guess they didnt see that one coming. :up:

http://us.cnn.com/2012/12/27/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

14. charles

charles The Transporter

This entire thing puzzles me. First of all, it is quite clear to those applying for permits, no matter what the reason, that such information is public record; getting a permit to own a gun does not exempt you from the same laws everyone else must abide by. There is no invasion of privacy and should be no expectation of privacy. Second, why is it 'intimidation'? Maybe I missed it, but is there some sort of 'stigma' attached to owning a firearm? Will a mob of your neighbors, armed with pitchforks and torches, come to take your guns?

By the way, the fee for a handgun permit in NYC is $ 340. Ouch. Things ain't cheap in the Big Apple.

15. aedwards01

No, its not an invasion of privacy but I definitely see it as a form of intimidation. What would be a single other reason for a newspaper to gather this information and create an interactive map with all the names and addresses of legal gun permit holders for people to see. Is this news? No

$340 :eek: New York sucks

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Yea, sure, I get the part about it being kinda unnecessary and invasive, even if not illegal, certainly peculiar...but...not illegal and no expectation of privacy. And I still don't get the 'intimidation' thing...one of the main purposes of arming yourself is so no one intimidates you! However, in this day and age, I'm not so certain that criminals worry about you being armed since they are probably armed themselves, maybe with superior firepower.

Why not then extrapolate that anyone not on the list is unarmed and therefore, a soft target? Has anyone thought of that? The gunowners should harp on that for a while, instead of being so damn defensive when they don't have to be. There's no defense better than a good offense.

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Why should you have to apply to exercise a right?

Why is a poll tax illegal and a gun carry permit fee not?

18. charles

charles The Transporter

don't get me wrong here...I do not believe one should have to pay for a 'right' but we do don't we? The purpose for charging for the gun carry permit is to cement in the state's (government) control of the activity. Obey the Emperor or die!

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

This is actually a good point.

I'm amazed!! But now I feel dirty. :D

20. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

They'd have control even without the fees.