1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 MotoAmerica Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by Hoffman900, Oct 12, 2020.

1. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

But we dont have that level of competition typically. Maybe this year we will be different with Landers gone but the margin of victory hasn't been close and the level of talent this year is nowhere near recent years imo.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

fixed.:D

koth442 and henry_carlson like this.
  3. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Is live timing working for anybody?

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The good news is you aren't late and didn't miss anything...

upload_2021-4-23_8-48-17.png

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That was my complaint about the rules long ago, but that complaint is looking at it as a participant or racer dad, versus looking at it as a motor builder. But, I've never liked motor builder classes, it needlessly drives up the price to compete.

I really believe it was opened up so much because Andy Palmer had pull with James Morse and that was the only way a Yamaha was going to be able to compete with the SV? Since I was out of this class by the time it went to MA, I could be wrong? However, I think the Yamaha needed a lot of airbox rule changes and suspension changes to be able to work, and I think the SV could be made to work pretty well without that stuff.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

LOL mine is working great! SO many surprises! New track records too!

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's just wrong.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many Twins racers are under the age limit for JC. I wouldn't be surprised if Twins is pulling a few entries from JC.

Also, Twins entries will probably fluctuate a lot as they go to different regions/tracks just like STK1000.

koth442 likes this.
  10. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

looking at the cost of building a competitive twins bike i'd assume that its similar or not much more to race supersport but the main thing will be increased cost of tires. the bikes themselves don't seem to be much if any less expensive to build and maintain

11. stangmx13

The SS purse could more than offset that extra set of tires they can use compared to Twins. One top 20 finish in SS pays for a set of tires.

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Problem with that is, unless things have changed, you need to buy 4-5 sets of tires if you are really trying to be top 5, so one set of tires isn't that much help in the whole scheme of things.

When we first started I was trying to do it on 3 sets of tires. One set for qualifying and one set for each race. I think it was the second round at Miller and Tyler was in 2-4 in qualifying with around 5 minutes left. The experienced fast guys came in and threw on a set of supersofts and down we went through the order, all the way to 10-15th range, I think.

We also missed the setup because I cheaped out and didn't have him get enough time during practice on new tires. The front was too soft, once in the heat of the battle. Tyler and Stephano Mesa were passing each other back and forth all race, I think Stefano finished 5th and Tyler was 6th.

13. stangmx13

@Boman Forklift That comment was only a comparison btw SS and Twins. The SS allocation is 12 tires. The Twins allocation is 10 tires. Assuming both buy all their tires, the difference in cost is only 1 set. Both classes have comparable practice time at round 1. SS Q1 is 5min longer, SS WUP is 3min longer. 5 sets is reasonable for an MA weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of SS teams only use that. This makes the purse even more beneficial.

The purse of SS is a huge perk. The purse and some sponsor $$ allowed me to break even on cost at Sonoma in 2019, even buying 9 tires! Checking my bank account after that was an amazing feeling ;)

The Twins purse is not that helpful yet. I won't be surprised if MA is able to find more sponsorship $$ to increase that if the class stays this popular.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  14. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

IMO the twins class is going to continue to grow. Maybe even replace SS in 5 more years? Yamaha seems to be steering in that direction already.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

henry_carlson, svracer22 and koth442 like this.