1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 MotoAmerica Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by Hoffman900, Oct 12, 2020.

1. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Yes he was

2. henry_carlson

Richie commented that he thinks the added weight might help reduce the chatter and also that the team tried everything to get to superbike but it just didnt work out.

Senna and koth442 like this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be surprised. I remember when Tyler raced a RS125 at USGPRU we had to add 20lbs of lead and he said the bike felt better.

I supposed it is like my F350 on the 5 freeway, if I have a 2-4k forklift battery in the bed, it actually rides much bettter.

malamute, henry_carlson and noles19 like this.
  4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yep really common especially with old trucks, they rode like shit empty and were harder to drive also

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. henry_carlson

6. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

henry_carlson and rafa like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

I guess we know who @DDK732 is building that ZX10 for now.

I’m glad to see Andrew Lee back in the series, and hope/wonder if MA changed the rules so he won’t get kicked out again if he wins the championship.

I get what MA was trying to do with that rule, but with the lack of funding available for SBK racers and the Superbike cup class this seems like a great class to race

henry_carlson likes this.
  8. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Should be good with Lee back. Jake Lewis won't be a runaway now. I think Ashton Yates will be a front runner as well once he gets his Honda sorted.

9. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Corey Alexander man... That dude's picking up steam.

10. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Ah yes. Is Michael Gilbert running this season too?

Stock 1000 gearing up to be a good and competitive series.

koth442 likes this.
  11. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I think so, them boys always find a way to run 90% of the season.

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I think Danilo Lewis will surprise a lot of people this year.
    What he was able to do last season with the equipment/resources he had was pretty impressive.
    Up until the last round he didnt do one practice or qualy with new tires, they were always take offs from the previous weekend. As a matter of fact he didnt even have spare wheels until the Jersey round. He also never raced at any of the tracks or ridden on dunlops before.

henry_carlson and dieterly like this.
  13. henry_carlson

Pretty sure he is on the new kawi this year

14. Boman Forklift

He was over the other day eating lunch with Tyler, before Tyler moved back to NYC. At that time he was still planning to run the series.

15. Boman Forklift

I don't know his results and am too lazy to look. I was racing on a limited budget with Tyler and tried to do this. If you want results and have the talent to push hard, skimping on tires during practice and qualifying will surprisingly mess you up. It didn't mess us up when we club raced. I would often make Ty run old tires and hope it would teach him how to work with worn tires. I'm sure it helped when he was at the club level.

We also hadn't been to any of the tracks before Ty raced on them, other than Miller with WERA on a 125 and one trackday at Sears. When running old tires, you get close on setup, but when the new tires are thrown on and you can push even harder, then you end up blowing through the stroke on the forks and having to chase after more spring, more preload, different compression or rebound, etc. You just get behind trying to find the setup, at a new track, all while trying to figure out gearing and chasing any other teething problems.

So if you are close to this racer, and afford to throw a set at him, especially now that he has seen these tracks before, it will help him immensely. This is assuming he is a racer that can really push to the tire limits. If he hasn't had YCRS training or something similar, I would tell you to take that $400 you would throw at a set of tires and put it towards YCRS training.

Our first year at AMA Tyler took his first YCRS class about 3-6 months prior....I can't remember the exact dates. For club racing and starting into AMA, we were on a team with 5 other boys of similar age and talent. We thought YCRS helped Tyler sooooo much that I recommended to the team managers they have the other team members, that felt they could afford it, skip a round or two of racing, and take the saved budget to spend at YCRS. Most of the dads did and all that did felt it was well worth it. We knew YCRS was like a secret weapon and could have kept it to ourselves, but Tyler and I felt it was so important we recommended it.

koth442 likes this.
  16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Last year he finished 8th on the championship and 4th on superbike cup, with a podium at Laguna (only round where we got him an extra set of tires for qualy).

This year he has a better bike and the budget should allow for more tires.

17. Boman Forklift

Cool, was that the guy that was so genuinely excited when he made the podium? Now that you mention it, I think that was at Laguna. I will cheer for him, I really enjoyed seeing that excitement. If that is the guy, I will cover a set, or put that amount towards something else he needs more.

Corey Bain, alan, Newyork and 3 others like this.
  18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yup that was him! The team should be better prepared this year and he will be running new tires more often haha
    I should be helping them out at most rounds, make sure to stop by and hang out for a bit.

19. Boman Forklift

Will do, if I can make a round. That guys excitement was infectious, nice to know someone from here that is related or involved with the team. Where are you located, and where does the rider live?

Let me know where to send the money or what round you want me to buy one set of tires.

alan likes this.
  20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

We met him at Blackhawk last May. He was pitted right across from us. The whole crew were very cool and we helped them with a few things. They were in that old ratted out RV traveling around the states racing.

Boman Forklift likes this.