1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Honda Grom 125

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, May 14, 2013.

1. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike Well-Known Member

Just called my Friendly Local Honda Dealer and put down a deposit. I'm 1st on the list!

:beer:

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

okay, I've gotta ask... why?

Who is this bike marketed for and why? I could see it if you're a 12-14 year old kid and maybe just learning to ride a motorcycle, but other than that, it seems like a really expensive pit bike... or maybe an alternative to a Zuma 125...

So, that brings up a good question - why would this be better than something like a Zuma 125?

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

This is the first thing made by Honda I have been excited about in a long while.
    Better than any scooter. Plus you could swap in one of Daytona 150 engines...

4. yooperbikemike

There are several big-bore kits available already, the easiest to install is the 150cc kit which goes for about $300

5. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

It would be a ton of fun to race at a mini track. Looks like it has more torque than a cbr 125.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

[​IMG]

138cc Dual overhead cam kit. That would wake that little bike up.

7. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

the only people who will be interested in this bike are those that like things that are cool as fuck...

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Comes with a Screwdriver and a plug wrench? Sign me up!

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

:up::up::up::up:

10. backcountryme

That is every bit as good as Ikea furniture

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

'Cause the Zuma looks like a scooter and the Grom looks like a small motorcycle.

12. yooperbikemike

Here's my deal -- I've been looking for a big-wheel mini-bike for a while, just to screw around on. I have a mini superbikers track set up on my property (asphalt, gravel and dirt sections) that I haven't used since I sold my old DT100. I don't want to go Chinese. Don't have anything against Chinese stuff, I just don't want one. I'd love to have an old Honda ST90 (CT70 w/bigger wheels and 90cc) but there aren't many out there and a nice one will go $2k. With the Grom I get a new Honda with modern technology with a Honda warranty for $3k. I've spent more money on worse.

13. backcountryme

Get a CRF100 with some BT45s on it. Cheaper then the new Honda and has big wheels. If you threw $3k into it you would have a bad ass mini.

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I want one, but the practical side of me first wants one of their new 300 scooters, a 500X, and maybe a CRF250L. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely interested in multiple Honda products (current offerings).

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Too bad about the no Chinese part. Because Pitster has a sweet little Mini GP bike, not to mention all kinds of go-fast stuff - including the engine I mentioned above.
    And I would bet this Grom has some shared parts - which isn't really a bad thing.

16. dtalbott

What's retail on a new CRF100?

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

And is it street legal???

18. backcountryme

About $3k, but there are a million used ones out there for WAY less. I have seen at least 3 here in Alberta for less then $600

19. dtalbott

Well, if you wait until the Grom has been out for 30+ years, you can then buy a cheap one.

20. yooperbikemike

Thanks for the comments, but I don't want a used dirt bike, a project or off road only. The Grom is perfect for me -- A fun little bike that I can ride anywhere I want, with a warranty and modern technology with Honda quality.