1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Rules

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Kuala76

Kuala76 MARRC President 2013

As a long time corner worker, I have to respectfully disagree with this. At Summit point we have literally had conditions where it is raining in turns 5-9 but dry in 10-1. IMHO it's VERY important to signify that the track surface is changing in that turn. The 'rain flags' don't get thrown because we get a few sprinkles. Protocol indicates the 'rain flags' are thrown when the track surface is starting to change. It is also not a complete course flag, meaning that the rain flags are only presented in the corners where the track is affected.

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I agree unfortunately it'll never happen. Some orgs don't even have debris, just standing yellow for debris or rider off which sucks to me. Again big difference in looking for a rider off and looking for a knee puck on the race line.

3. Agreed.

I can't see why it would be that hard to have a standard for flags. I mean, there aren't THAT many different racing orgs in the U.S.

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Nit what I meant. Rain flag is needed for sure. Same thing is common in the south, or a huge track like miller. Rain on one end and not the other. I meant we usually at least know it is possible so the flag used pointing up at the sky is less important, be it yellow, yellow and red, or black and green. We will get the point
    But entering a corner on a clear day I will approach very different for debris than a liquid

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That would be why we go over them at the riders meeting and they are in the rulebook.

I do understand what you mean but there are a number of things that we do at WERA that aren't universal. Now granted, once the other groups wise up they become universal but there is always confusion until they do :)

I've never gotten a report of the pickle flag causing any issues, have you guys seen/heard anything along those lines?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ambulance flag wasn't universal - and the method it's used in wasn't either until we changed it. Same for the red flag on every corner. Both used to be at S/F only until we changed our rules/procedures and then others adapted them.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because there technically is no rain flag, never really has been, for a long time each cw group had different methods (still do to an extent) on how they indicate rain. They all get the point across and all are effective so I've never stressed over it enough to pick one and make it the official WERA way.

8. <up>

Now where is the flag with the big pickle on it? :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gerhardt has it along with the martini flag.

11. Kuala76

Last year there was a puddle outside of turn one; a bike went down, splashing water on the track; Pickle went out ... racers came in full blast... and the result wasn't good... more than one rider said "I had no idea what the flag meant". That's not a WERA issue; that's a rider issue for not knowing the flag, and I know we can not cater to stupid ;)

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True but we can try to lessen it. I'll see if I can figure out a better way to spread the word. I'd put a blurb on the schedule but the riders dont' read that either.... :D

13. Kuala76

Per protocol - in the above situation with something on the race line, the yellow should be waved ;) " B) When waved vigorously-indicates a hazard or obstacle on the track, avoidance maneuvers may be necessary. "

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Devils advocate.... do you honestly think had it been the yellow red debris the result would have been different?

As a rider when I see that flag I'm looking for solid debris first even without a pickle flag

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

OK.. off race line, was not trying to be literal.

I think, any of the three flags pointed at the sky.. rain
    Yellow red solid debris on race surface
    Green black liquid on surface

Makes tins of sense to me as a rider and I think wera has it right

16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

This is so true Kumi. I cant tell you how many times its raining on one part of Summit but not the other parts of the track. Sure it can happen anywhere but I've seen it numerous times at Summit and Nelson. Not so much anywhere else.

Ride safe,
    AAron

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Summit, Nelson, Road Atlanta, Miller seem to be where that happens the most. All of them can have a shower hit one part of the track and move off without ever touching the rest of the property, annoying but kind of funny.

18. Kuala76

Maybe it would have played out differently if it were the yellow/crimson, the racers would have at least been a bit aware SOMETHING was there. I am not advocating getting rid of the pickle flag because I agree there is a big difference between solid and liquid on the track (plus its fun to say "control I'm pulling out my pickle") I think every org should have a "slippery" flag. I may have been pulled off in a different direction but my only real concern is the use of the pickle as a rain flag. It is my position the indicator for rain should be the yellow/crimson as is standard (for us at summit).

19. Kuala76

That being said; we will use whatever WERA decides and instruct our students as to protocol. We just all need to be on the same page :)

20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Since we're on the subject of flags, can y'all help me out?

In the rulebook, a White/Red cross flag is for ambulance on the course. It says "Ambulance on the course, passing is allowed"

I'm really confused about that. What are the scenarios? I mean, do you continue racing if there's an ambulance out there? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just stumped.