1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$200K to conservatively invest... Yes real question.

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I owned a 98 from 99-05. I had 19K miles on it when I sold it. I don't recall anything ever breaking on it. At that time 450HP was a bunch of power and with no traction control or ABS and it could be a handful. I got really good at powersliding it around corners and driving sideways down the street for a 100 feet or so.

What did you have breaking, as I've seriously considered getting another for a cheap fun car.

2. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Property can be a strong investment. Same as anything there is a risk. Risk of liquidity risk of anything stupid happening. Maintaining it etc.

A lot of people loose money on rentals as much as they do in the market. The market is just easier tnot loose it because people think they can outsmart the market. Guess what you can't.

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Gasp!!! Say it isn't soooo!!! I would've never guessed that is the case, can you give us an idea why?

4. chest2tank

chest2tank Well-Known Member

You need a financial planner to help you ask the right questions first, like "what is your ultimate purpose for this money?" That can drastically dictate what sorts of vehicles you use. There are three basic needs to address: current cash flow, appreciation, and liquidity. Then, if the planner suggests investments, find an investment advisor.

I believe the public markets (as in stocks and bonds you buy on exchange) are only for trading, not investing. There's also a serious risk that these markets are controlled by the big players, however being publicly traded makes these sorts of investments very liquid in case you need to move funds around. On the other hand Private investments in companies, funds, investment clubs, and real estate can satisfy the cash flow and appreciation needs of affluent investors, but aren't liquid at all. You trade market risk (in public investments) for liquidity risk, but the return can be much, much higher.

If you're accredited, I've got a few private deals of interest.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Look @ inflation adjusted stock market indices back through history then come back with the same opinion.

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

A bit counterintuitive yes BUT a small drop in yield is better than a large equity loss.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

If rates rise bonds will have a huge loss in value. It's not just a loss of yield its a loss in value. If you are not familiar with this do some homework before you loose a big chunk of whatever you have invested in bonds

8. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

the average rate of the s&p 500 is far higher than the average rate of inflation which is around 2%

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Look again and tell me timing doesn't mean anything.

http://www.simplestockinvesting.com/SP500-historical-real-total-returns.htm

1965-1992 ~0% gain
    1996-2010 ~0% gain

If I used DJIA it would be even worse in terms of timing. In other words, timing is very important.

10. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Do you know the difference between Yield and Interest Rate?

11. notbostrom

Do you. Having worked in this field for 25 years I'd say yes. Changes in interest rates do not change the yield on bonds you own but will lower their value.

12. notbostrom

You just proved the opposite point by picking specific Times in the market. Stocks are higher today than any point since 1930

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't even know where to start with someone who says they have 25 years in the field and doesn't know the difference between yield, coupon interest rates, and bond value.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/bonds/bonds3.asp

Measuring Return With Yield
    Yield is a figure that shows the return you get on a bond. The simplest version of yield is calculated using the following formula: yield = coupon amount/price. When you buy a bond at par, yield is equal to the interest rate. When the price changes, so does the yield.

14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

If you have 85 years to invest, great! For the rest of us timing matters.

15. notbostrom

Seriously dude maybe you don't know where to start because your understanding of how this all works is wrong. Skip the investopedia drivel and just Google what happens to bonds when rates go up. I'm not going to debate what YOU do or don't understand it's none of my business but please refrain from giving others bad advice.

16. notbostrom

Worst day you could ever invest... Jan 1 2008. Are stocks higher or lower than that day?

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Will you nerds just whip the fountain pens out of your pocket protectors and duel this thing out already?

18. notbostrom

Lol yeah I assume he's a good dude but investing is serious business and I see so many people loose a lot of money because their buddy knows all about the market...

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Damn you nerds. Fine, how's about I just throw 50K out in the market and you guys make it into 80!!

But do any of you guys remember back in the day that Etrade had a stock market game that you could buy stocks on, well virtually. Penny stocks always dominated that game. It was a game based on the actual stock market.

20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Higher. Now my turn:

Person A invests $200k in S&P equity index fund on Jan 1, 2008

Person B hold $200k cash or purchases $200k worth 5% double tax free muni bond fund in 2008 and converts to S&P equity index fund on Jan 1, 2009

Which would be far ahead?