1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$200K to conservatively invest... Yes real question.

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Plenty of those games still exist. Even funner for nerds is writing exchange bots ("computerized trading") and running them through historical tests until an algorithm proves itself out. Then they redirect the API to turn it loose on the real market. That's what finance wizard nerds are doing today, at least I've been told ;)

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Declining interest rate market. Proved my point again. Expect the opposite to happen with rates going up

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

You still haven't figured out the difference between bond yield, coupon interest rate, and market interest rates yet...have you?

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I used to kick ass in that game lol. I mean it was fake money sooo...

5. notbostrom

100% correct and these flash traders can move the market

6. notbostrom

And also involves market timing ie the change on Jan 2009. Who s crystal ball picked that day or is hindsight just 2020 lol

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. notbostrom

Not that hard really

8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Hey we are getting somewhere! Now the question involves whether or not you can time the market. And since you are also aware that quants have algorithms that ARE timing the market, it must be possible.

In my opinion and that of many other quantitative investors who don't just sell investments but actually understand and analyze markets, we are currently in an equity bubble where it pays to hold cash or park in low risk vehicles until after the correction.

In the opinion of others (like Ben apparently) it's never a bad time to buy-in because eventually it will go up.

9. notbostrom

Statistically proven investors lose out on more upside fearing a bubble than had they blindly invested small amounts over time without regard for what the market is doing. Flash traders aren't timing the market they are the market. You will never time the market but you can be prudent with market and economic cycles including interest rates.

The average investor never sees true market returns because their investment decisions are based on fear need or greed and not on prudent decisions based on the information available. You either believe and participate in the markets or go buy guns ammo and salt.

10. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Now you are talking about cost averaging for average investors. OP has a large sum of money to invest at once.

11. notbostrom

You don't invest large sums of money at once.... And no I'm not talking about dollar cost averaging.. I told you to stay off Wikipedia :D

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Soooo.... 5 grand then?

13. notbostrom

Go buy another bike

cajun636 likes this.
  14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Oh geesh...I'm NOT taking this bait.

15. notbostrom

See you are smarter already :beer:

I'm sure you realize this is all in good fun

16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Good fun? I was trying to get the $200k for my crypto bot :D

17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

18. chest2tank

chest2tank Well-Known Member

Hold a bond to maturity, and it doesn't matter what happens to the value in the interim. Bond funds fluctuate because you're sacrificing stability for liquidity

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

19. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

That's a lot of cash. If it was me I would quit my job, move to the Phillipines, buy a house on a nice beach. Find a beautiful girl, and relax for the rest of your life. Or on another possibly serious note. Invest in real estate in up and coming countries where Americans are going to retire. There is over 1 million americans and Canadians that have chose to retire in Mexico. Costa rica is long gone, Nicaragua, the DR, and Mexico is where I would look.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Without timeframe & risk tolerance, the question has too many answers.

A 20 year old single guy has a different answer than a 35 year old married with 2 teenage kids guy who has a different answer than a 50 year old recently divorced guy living paycheck to paycheck who has a different answer than a 50 year old married guy with a solid nest egg, a pension on the horizon and 2 paid-for houses.

I don't know you, but IIRC you're a cop either DFW or New Orleans, don't remember. Don't know your age, but we'll guess 40-something.

In that income situation, with a modest but considerable windfall, with a mortgage & probably a car note, I (personally & in this economic environment) would pay off any & all debt I owed, and if you're DFW, I'd buy raw land with what's left northeast or southwest of the metromess. I don't know New Orleans real estate at all, so can't comment on that.

Phl218 likes this.