1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 R6 Engine Tear Down and Rebuild for Dummies

Discussion in 'Tech' started by caper656, Mar 5, 2015.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

it sounds like he's had enough poking for one day, he'll get sycamore of it

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Ballpark is not a measurement I would recommend.

3. caper656

caper656 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, ill take everything under consideration. my family owns and operates a auto repair shop for the last 40+years and I am a mech engineer by trade. So I should have all the tools I need and meticulous mentality to rebuild it properly.

I do believe this failure may have been caused by oil starvation during a low side awhile ago where the bike remained on and was ran over. However, I see alot of threads on issues with the engine with very few talking about solutions to the spun bearing. i was hoping to spark someone saying KWS or some company specialized in opening oil passages or something that prevented the typical problems seen in this year r6

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

for the 06-07, i posted a tech bulletin that outlines the fact yamaha potentially had too MUCH clearance between crank and bearings.. thus you go 1 color smaller (tighter).

also, yea. most bikes if they stay running on their side for long, can starve for oil as the pickup is no longer at the low point.

Many of us have raced the r6 with periodic rebuilds, for years with only a rare failure. often just due to a part that wasn't replaced that should have been, or just too many race miles. A good build with the right parts should net most of us, a season or more of maint. free racing.

5. MELK-MAN

got it.

6. ped

ped Banned

maple he's tired of your shit

7. caper656

caper656 Well-Known Member

Knot just yet. But I wish he would leave(s)

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You have tools for checking PTV? I'd like to see what you have, I'm always trying to improve the ones I make.

All of them starve if they run on their side. Nothing you do can change that.

9. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Is this to say that Ducs tolerate more 'error' than the average maker?

10. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

So I take it you guys fit a tip over sensor to them to stop this from happening in case of? Just like the Suzuki has as standard.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

All the fuel injected bikes have tip over sensors. Sometimes they don't work quickly enough to save the engine.

12. MELK-MAN

one thing that can potentially help.. and i think it did for me one time, is running just enough gas to do your sprint race (obviously won't help for situations when you need large fuel loads).
    If the bike is on it's side to the point the fuel pickup is no longer getting fuel, it very quickly won't make enough fuel pressure to run, and the engine stops. It is possible the tip over switch worked, but in a situation where my bike was on it's side, the onboard camera was running. you could hear the bike idle for a few seconds, sputter.. then die. it had just over 1 gal of gas, and this was the 1st lap. the motor has ran awesome for some time since.

13. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I wondered if they all had one. I have never seen a GSXR wreck a motor due to be on its side and motor ran on long enough to cause the damage here in NZ

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I use one of these, works brilliantly. Wrist gets more than about 3' from the bike -> engine shuts off.

[​IMG]

15. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I use a very simillar thing, the same principal but the unit comes off the Suzuki Quad farm bike

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

So what do you do if switching between different 'color' bearings doesn't get the clearance you need? (Are there enough different sizes of bearings to always get the clearance you need?)
    Do you have to machine the crank?

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There is a range I look for. On the R6, it is different than any other engine, for the mains. I've always been able to get in that range with standard bearing sizes.

18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answer Rick.
    I was curioius because I've heard you can't machine some cranks due to the surface hardening not going deep enough. I guess you could always have it re-treated though.

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

And I would never run that crank in a road race bike. Same with any crank with repaired journals.