1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 R6 Engine Tear Down and Rebuild for Dummies

Discussion in 'Tech' started by caper656, Mar 5, 2015.

1. caper656

caper656 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, this isnt my first rodeo, but will be my first yamaha engine rebuild. SO I NEED YOU EXPERTISE TO REVIEW THE GAMEPLAN and Thread!(THANKS IN ADVANCE)

I couldnt find anywhere on this forum about a engine rebuild, so I thought we could document it and get assistance here. Its my buddies trackbike and we will be rebuilding due to a recent spun bearing. Yes we could have sourced a used motor, but with the history of failures you guys speak of, i thought it would be best to make sure every piece with within spec. This bike is an ex AMA bike from back in the day so its time for an overhaul regardless. Appears to be all stock in the head so far. Will be tearing the rest down tonight

Gameplan:
    1) Tear Down and Inspection of Damage: At this time, we have drained the oil and discovered brass. Engine noise had started and the bike was shut down. No loose in power or damage from the outside. Since we are on a budget, we will mic out the crankshaft and if anything is borderline, we will have a local yama shop to do inspection on the parts to determine if we can reuse them. ​
    2) Rebuild: It has always been my belief that the lower end build knowledge is where the genius of a mechanic lies. Therefore, we will have our local yama builder mic out and specify the bearing size colors, supply those and put the case halves together. The rest we will do ​

Inspections required:
    1.) Cylinder head plane ​
    2.) Valve/Piston damage ​
    3.) Oil pump and passage containment​
    4.)Crank Shaft journal and connecting rod damage/scoring. ​
    5.) Crank Case bearing damage ​
    6.) While there, might as well check transmission shafts/gears/drum​

PART NUMBER QTY
    Cam Shaft Chain 94591-61118-00 1 $41.14 new
    Head Gasket 2C0-11181-00-00 1 $56.91 new
    Generator Cover Gasket(reuse if possible)
    Clutch Cover Gasket(reuse if possible)
    Oil Pan Gasket(reuse if possible)

Oil Pump (inspect and or replace) 1 $25.00used

Piston(inspect and or replace) 2C0-11631-00-00 X $69.85ea new
    Connecting Rod(inspect and or replace) 2C0-11650-00-00 X $122.63ea new
    Connecting Rod Bearing 2C0-11656-XX-00 8 $12ea new
    Crankshaft Journal bearing 2C0-11416-XX-00 10 $10ea new
    Crank Shaft(inspect and/or Replace) 2C0-11411-00-00 1 494.75new (300used)

Oil Nozzles(4) Inspect and/or Replace)
    Oil Pump Chain(inspect and/or Replace) 94580-25074-00

MISC
    Yamabond Gasket Sealer $15
    400-600 grit sandpaper or mineral paper $10
    Engine Assembly Grease $10

LABOR
    Shop Time: 3 hours @ $70 for case assembly and misc inspection

Optional Machine Shop Cost:
    1.) Balance Crankshaft: $149.00

Estimated Cost if Crankshaft, connecting rods and piston are good: ~$500
    Estimated Cost if Crankshaft and two connecting rods are damaged: ~$950

Please let me know if im missing any parts, inspections, ect

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You're going to replace the valves, right?

3. caper656

All we have is a valve cover off as of right now which we don't see any damage from the top side but we have yet to look at the back side to see what's going on. but I am curious why you are adamant about it

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um...why would you put a "used" or "unknown" condition oil pump in a complete rebuild?
    What does "ex" ama mean?
    How much is your local Yamaha expert charging? How many of these has he built?

5. caper656

why Is it unknown when I can measure the clearances to spec to see if the wheel and cover have any slop? There isnt much science behind an oil sump pump so I don't see the issue. Ex ama is pretty self explanatory so I guess to further clarify it has been specs out at the beginning of its life and now has been a trackday bike since with unknown history. And why would I care what a shop wants to rebuild it? Some people like to work on their own bikes. Any reason for the attitude?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. metricdevilmoto

Solicits for advice and opinions then refutes them. Sounds about right.

7. TurboBlew

no attitude just reads like youre being penny wise & dollar foolish. you have shop labor in your first post.

8. caper656

Yes to validate any knowledgebase values against my own. And again so what? do you use an "expert" dealership when you need oil change or any work to your vehicle? But that's for input. Sheesh

9. caper656

Just to clarify. When I rebuilt my Ducati, I could have calculated the preload pressure on the crankshaft when the cases are put together however I would prefer that a mechanic who does this on a regular basis who knows the feel by touch do that one small part for me.

10. TurboBlew

so basically you want to "uber" a pro wrench but without actually paying them? You know what they say about experience? :Poke:

11. caper656

Metric. What exactly was the advice? Ia it not intelligent to ask why or do you guys jump off a cliff if someone tells you to

12. caper656

uber a pro wrench? i feel like we got off on the wrong side here...you guys anti work on your own bike people? and no one is trying to take advantage of a "pro wrench" when im clearly showing in the budget paying for his time to validate my measurements. Last time i checked its a free world and a shop doesnt have to take work they dont want or if they felt like they are being taken advantage of. Is it hard for you guys to use dial indicators and 3 digit decimals to deduct tolerance? are you MRI snobs are something? im pretty sure i have plenty of background knowledge and education to handle a simple 4 cylinder generic engine..dont let the title fool you its just to grab attention. It was a simple, "hey, anything i should know on this exact yamaha that someone wants to share or maybe oil passage mod that may be of interest" kinda thread. I actually call it not being over prideful.

anyways, someone that is blind to advice such as you speak, would write your comment off. But i havent. You bite at the thread, spoke vaguely about a subject in an insulting tone towards me, I asked you to clarify to show i was listening, and now i get a bunch of fluff like you cant back your response. christ on a cross...help or move on! thanks for the initial vague. "Bro you should just buy a new engine post"... RELAX GUYS..everyone has cabin fever...riding season is near

13. racer880

racer880 Banned

where do these guys come from? WERA Western Eastern Road Racers

14. racer880

racer880 Banned

Cant be a licensed racer

15. racer880

racer880 Banned

WTF is anti work on own bike?

16. caper656

it means get the fuck off my thread if you have nothing to contribute ya stuck up troll. Post up your WERA Number, ill come say hi

17. caper656

18. caper656

19. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Well, this went well...

20. metricdevilmoto

This thread was appropriately named.

And I work on a lot of motorcycles. For a living, in fact. And I have a motor guy. But if I ever saw my motor guy online soliciting for advice on how to build/rebuild motors, he would cease to be my motor guy.

Motors aren't my specialty (hence, the motor guy) but I do know that if I was going to get into the motor that much, I'd do the top end, too. No sense doing the job twice. Do it once and right or don't bother.

And don't use a used 06-07 oil pump. And, for crissakes, don't re-use gaskets. For what they cost, there is no budget build that includes oil leaks in the plan. And you forgot to budget for rod nuts and bolts, among other things you're most likely planning on re-using that should be replaced.