1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

190 tire in world supersport??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MELK-MAN, May 14, 2009.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

because he f#$king wants to know. thats why!

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

he's not asking if they CAN run 190, he wants to know if they DO run 190.... and i'm curious also.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

"Does anyone know (not speculate..really know from a qualified source) if a 190 is the spec size rear tire in world supersport, or is it one of the choices that can be made including a 180 rear.. or is it only 180?"

Pretty sure that's asking if the can not if they do.

4. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

how did this become so difficult..
    CAN/DO/DOES.. riders in WORLD supersport competition under the FIM (i think) rules on the Pirelli spec tires run a 180 rear, 190 rear or is it the riders choice from either or?
    THank you!

i could give a rats behind about sidewall. There are 2 tire choices for a 600cc bike as far as im concered. 180, or a 190.. Then somehow we get sidetracked with sidewall sizes. I don't CARE about sidewall, I will NEVER need to be concerned with sidewall:) ok?? Thank you. :cool:

6. mlechner41

mlechner41 Well-Known Member

According to an admin on the diabloracer site they use 180's. Check the 10th or so post on this thread:

http://www.diabloracer.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21

"Most Pirelli racers use a 180 on a 600. World Supersport, British Supersport and Canadian Sportbike all use a 180 on the 600's."

7. 4yamahas

4yamahas Well-Known Member

If you are running 190 power1s you have to choices . 190/55
    and a 190/50

8. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

dunno

Greg you gonna run WSS?:moon::Poke:

9. FiveOh

FiveOh Well-Known Member

sidewall sidewall sidewall!

:D

10. MELK-MAN

you guys kill me:crackup: No, the world supersport boys are safe for now, i will not be running the series:crackup:
    There may be a couple 190 tires from Michelin in the power 1, but there is only one of them that the put on our 5.5 rims..the other is for the 6" rim. I dont know what is what..i just tell my tire guy "give me a 190" or "give me a 180".. i leave the complicated math shit to them.
    :cool:

THANK YOU!
    The reason for this excersize was no that Michelin offers a good choice of 180 and 190 tires, what reasons would 600 riders have for choosing one over the other if there was a spec tire offered in WSS in both sizes. Before the spec rule a few years back, i heard them on TV discussing "some riders on 180 and some on 190".. now they may not have a choice of size, only the "Soft" or the "medium" compound. ON the 600 the 180 has much different characteristics than the 190.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  11. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

12. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

:crackup: what does that have to do with anything? :crackup:

13. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

14. MELK-MAN

the plot thickens?

15. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Zoom in on the pic of the R6 - the tires are clearly marked 120/70-17 and 180/55-17.
    Since supersport requred "treaded" tires, that would seem to put it to rest.

16. theJrod

Of course knowing that makes me wonder... Most people run 190/55 Diablo Supercorsas on their 600s around here for the increased edge grip. I know I was still spinning up the 190s on my stock motor 600. So I switchd to Dunlop and never looked back. Now I'm thinking it's really all in the setup.

17. theJrod

Ben's bike has a 190/65R420 & 120/75R420 mounted in the pics.

18. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

19. Ironman11

Ironman11 Well-Known Member

Im curious also.

Since we all know they run 180 tires now we need to know if they are allowed to run 190 tires?

Even better question what tire size do the AMA guys run on their 600's?

20. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

FWIW, I was painting my buddies bodywork last night while he read through the rulebook and I remember hearing him say that we will have 2 sizes available to us this coming weekend.

He said this because I asked him specifically just for you Melka. It appears that we will have a 180 and 190 at our disposal. I will be sure to let you know for sure Friday morning after I talk to our tire engineer, and get our order form. Will that work for ya? If you want, you can even call me about 10am MST and I'll have an answer for ya. We're here for you, Greg!:beer::Poke: