1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

190 tire in world supersport??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MELK-MAN, May 14, 2009.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Does anyone know (not speculate..really know from a qualified source) if a 190 is the spec size rear tire in world supersport, or is it one of the choices that can be made including a 180 rear.. or is it only 180? A LONG time ago i heard Smart or another comentator indicating some chose one or the other as each has pros/cons but what about TODAY.. Can't find the info anywhere. Thanks.

2. mezcal

mezcal Well-Known Member

200mm according to the wsbk and perilli websites.

3. MELK-MAN

200mm for world superSPORT bikes? (600cc).. ?

4. mezcal

mezcal Well-Known Member

doh! read your OP wrong. *shrug*

5. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

That's a good question, Greg. I have a buddy that got a wildcard, and I never even thought to ask it...:crackhead:

But, I did find us some good beta. It reads that we may have both, but not really definitive. I will try to find out in the morning and post up for ya.

Hope this helps.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/motorcycle/racing/sbk/default.page

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  6. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i would add to this question, the question of whether or not they run 6" or 5.5" rims as well.

7. MELK-MAN

Found this on the page from the link you posted..
    The SBK "DIABLO paddock" will go on working and racing, testing and setting new reference laptimes, focusing on the new DIABLO SUPERCORSA as its target. In 2007 the SBK class will be using DIABLO SUPERBIKE 16.5" tires, the WSS class will use 17" DIABLO SUPERCORSA rubber, with different specs race by race in order to go on developing new solutions. STK600 and STK1000 will race with 17" DIABLO SUPERCORSA, in the 180/55 and 190/55 sizes respectively and in the "SC2" version, which is one of the compounds available on the market for all end users.

Does this say the stk1000 uses the 190/55? .. I thought a 55 was a 5.5" rim?

No problem.. ive done worse.

8. JohnnyTheboy

JohnnyTheboy Well-Known Member

the 55 in 190/55 is the sidewall height, but it doesnt mean 55mm like the 190
    means 190mm wide.

9. MELK-MAN

thanks. I never did get a handle on the the numbers other than 180 is smaller than 190.

10. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

55 is the aspect ratio of the side wall, which is the expressed percentage of the tires width. Just multiply the width x the aspect ratio:
    190 x .55 = 104.5 side wall height, in this case.

11. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

Greg,they can use 180/190 rears and they must use original wheels that came with the bike.Can only use 1 front tire size.Most like to use the...................LOL.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  12. MELK-MAN

so is anyone sure ..i mean sure.. that WSS has a choice of 180 or 190 rears?

13. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

14. MELK-MAN

but what were you positive of, you say "180 and 190" ?? It appears it would be a 180 since it has to be "homologated size".. and i don't think any mfg comes with 190 tires.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  15. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

16. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

2.5.7 Tyres
    Tyres must be a fully molded type carrying all size and sidewall marking of the
    tyres for commercial sale to the public. The depth of the tyre treads must be at
    least 2.5 mm over the entire tyre pattern width at a pre-race control. The tyres
    must have a positive and negative tread of 96% positive and minimum 4%
    negative (land and sea ratio). The maximum distance from the external edge of
    the tyre to 50% of the tread elements is 35 mm.
    One (1) size for the front and two (2) sizes for the rear are allowed.
    2.3.6 Tyres
    Tyres may be replaced from those fitted to the homologated motorcycle

The wheels have to be "homologated size"but not the tires.

Positive you can use 180 or 190 rear tire.Or i am reading the rules wrong.

17. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

nevermind

18. MELK-MAN

Bueler..? Bueler..?

19. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

Dont know what that means?

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Why does it matter if they can use the 190? You didn't even know what 55 on the sidewall means.