1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

150R vs KX65

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Senna, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

No motor work that I'm aware of, just an FMF exhaust.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Vkp1cEpFM0Q4VmU0ZjMzTzNwSlUxdWV5S2QyQUxn

Toadmeister00 likes this.
  2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Any input on clip-ons on minis? They seem popular out here. Not sure if it would make the ergos wonky.

3. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

Seems like a 50/50 split where people either love them or hate them. I went the other way with mine with a tall seat and taller bars to open things up a bit.

This is good place to get a discussion going about them: Mini Moto Alliance | Facebook

Senna likes this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks! I’ve been perusing that forum too for opinions and it does seem split. I wouldn’t mind a taller seat, either. I had to source a superbike fairing kit from Italy for my 300 to finally get comfy on the thing.

5. Toadmeister00

The tall seat really opens it up between the pegs and seat, I was cramped on it with the stock seat and lower bars.
    150R Resized.JPG

This guy's set up is interesting, extends the bars out a bit but looks to keep them pretty low.
    Bar Extensions.PNG

A buddy has these risers on his, with them pivoted forward to open things up. I have ridden it and the bar position feels good, but it still had the stock seat so it was still a little cramped.
    rox_elite_pivot_risersfor78or118_handlebars_750x750.jpg

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Where’d you get the tall seat at? Did you just get the foam?

7. Toadmeister00

The seat foam and cover is from https://www.gutsracing.com

The tall foam needs the specific tall cover.

Senna likes this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Sweet, thanks!

9. Toadmeister00

I would get it out and ride it first before you make any changes. It will become clear pretty quickly if you need to make changes with the seat, bars, pegs, etc.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah, need to shake it down. I'm getting the "big" bike ready for the track tomorrow, so should have time to get it out later this week.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Did you ever ride a 150R with 17's? I bought a CR85 with 17's but ended up donating it to another junior racer before I ever got to ride it.

When my son was racing, most everyone ran 17's and it was easy to get a supply of used 17's from big track riders. Even if they didn't grip well enough on the big track, at the lower pressures we ran on mini tracks, they still seemed to work great.

12. Toadmeister00

I have had a bunch of different minis over the years (CR85, KTM 85/105, DRZ125, 150R) and they have all been on 17s. I have always run 125GP/Moto3 slicks, Dunlop for the first few years, then Pirelli and now PMT. I have spent some time on a KTM 105 on 12s, and had those same wheels on my DRZ (ran both 17s and 12s on the same day to compare). I have tried to love the smaller wheels, but just don't. I would like to try them again with some lower offset triples, there is not enough trail with the typical "mx" offset triple clamps. Ground clearance was also a problem, especially on the DRZ as the pegs are pretty low to begin with.

The popularity of the 12s has really exploded. I think the less expensive Chinese cast wheels and more 12" tire options have made them an easy choice for people putting bikes together.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah everyone runs 12s out here, which has surprised me.

14. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

15. Toadmeister00

Makes sense when the cast 12" wheels are about $450 complete with front and rear rotors and a pair of rear sprockets.

12" rims and spokes are about $400, then they need to be laced and trued for another $100+ if you pay to have it done. Figuring donor wheels or hubs, bigger front rotor and sprockets it can be double the price for a set of spoked wheels over the cast.

And to do spoked 17s, the cost goes up even more.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Strangely, most are on spoked 12s out here. I have yet to see a bike set up on 17s. :confused:

17. Toadmeister00

@Senna

Revisit that Minomoto Alliance FB page, there's a fresh clip-on vs. handlebar thread.

Senna likes this.
  18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That’s really helpful actually. I think I’ll stick with the MX bars. I’m eyeing a full sized sumo, too, so there’s some good symmetry there :beer:

19. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Dude, I don't recall you looking fat when I last saw ya. Maybe that's a euphemism for being 'slow'? But I haven't seen you ride either. Haha.

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You should get your eyes checked :Poke:

I'll be this guy at NJMP today.

[​IMG]