1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

150R vs KX65

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Senna, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure I’m going the mini route instead of full sized sumo.

I can pick up a KX65 in my area for around $2K. 150R is around the $3,500 mark around here.

For an adult rider, is there an obvious winner? I know the 150R engine work can get pretty expensive, but if it’s such that I can just drop it off at a shop to be done at the end of the season, I don’t know if I really care. KX65 seems like it would have more maintenance on the regular, and maybe not be as great of a fit for an adult rider.

What say the beeb? :beer:

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

What do you want to race against?

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

There’s a dedicated 150R class out here. The KX65 class is both kids and adults, but 150R is usually just adults it seems.

edit: so it seemed like it would probably be better to race against other adults. I was leaning towards the 150r for that reason.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How tall are you?

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

5’11”

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think you’d prefer the 150r. I had a 65 and sold it because my knees hit the handlebars (6’3 and fat).

But the 150r I just picked up rips.

7. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

That's a tough one because the bikes are so different.

65s are so much fun when you start to gel with them and everything starts to click. The narrow powerband and lack of a power valve make for a challenging bike to ride. The physical size of the bike might be an issue if you're a bigger guy. I raced a KTM 65 (65 motor in an 85 chassis to address the size issue) for a couple of seasons and to this day it's one of my favorite bikes. I sold it to a friend a couple years ago to build a DRZ125 to replace it and sometimes regret selling it. Depending on the race org, 65s are classed against 150cc air-cooled 4-strokes and there are some fast 4T bike that are hard to compete against.

The 150Rs are just plain amazing. Very easy to ride and go fast on one, and the physical size is more suited to an adult. The maintenance isn't terrible, and o.e. parts are pretty reasonable when it's rebuild time. Change the oil a couple times per season and check the valve lash now and again, and you should get a couple of seasons out of one. Obviously the idea is to do a preventative rebuild before a catastrophic failure happens. I have gone through a couple that had rods break (both with Wiseco cranks) and the damage is ugly (destroyed cases at a minimum).

In some orgs the 150Rs race against Ohvale 190s, and from what I have seen I'd have to say the Ohvales have a slight edge over the Rs. They make about the same power but weigh 30+ lbs. less I believe

Senna likes this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks for that breakdown!

I ride a 300 on full-sized tracks, so keeping the KX on the pipe would probably translate well to 300 riding, but I’m also not sure how much longer I’ll be on the 300.

I’ve briefly ridden a 150R and it seemed like it would be a lot of fun. The power was great, and I was comfy on it.

9. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

150R, all day.

The 65 just isn't fast enough to be fun for very long (in my opinion). I just sold a built 85 and really enjoyed it. Raced it once, and I absolutely hated running it against a couple of 150Rs. They go inside, block pass, and then torque out of the corners. I have ridden several and really liked them, and if I get another mini, it will definitely be a 150R.

DmanSlam, Chand, Senna and 1 other person like this.
  10. Toadmeister00

I 100% agree. 85s are almost the perfect platform. Fast enough to be fun, big enough to be comfortable and pretty inexpensive to build and maintain. But racing them against the 4-strokes can be frustrating. I wish there was enough interest to have an 85cc "spec" class.

11. Toadmeister00

I'm not sure where you're located, but this R for sale in Ohio looks like a damned good deal for what he is asking and for what it has (K-Tech suspension, big 4-piston front brake, slipper clutch, etc).

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/3155677978015945

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That is nice, but a haul from the southwest. Kinda eyeing some FS450s now, too. A full-sized sumo was my original plan.

13. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

150R all day and every day!!

SuddenBraking and Senna like this.
  14. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

150R on 17's was the best bike I ever had. 6' guy here. I put about 75 hours on mine before selling her. never had an issue outside of ordinary wear and tear

Senna likes this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks y’all. Picking up a 150R tonight.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Toadmeister00

Nice. Is it already set up or still in dirt trim?

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah not 100% dialed but not far off. PMT slicks and 12” laced wheels. Heavier springs front/rear. 250 front caliper. I’ll need to source a master at some point and probably clip-ons and some suspension work from Motorrev

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. Toadmeister00

Excellent, sounds like a good start. The stock 150R masters and/or the 250/450 masters are pretty good with the 2-piston 250/450 caliper.

Senna likes this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

These have no business being as fast as they are lol.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. Toadmeister00

Does that one have any motor work? The 12" wheels add to the "unruly" feeling.

A few weeks back, a friend brought her GSXR750 track bike over for some work. She took my R out around the neighborhood for a few minutes. She came back, pulled her helmet off and said "Holy Shit, this thing is serious!"

Boman Forklift and Senna like this.