1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The H&K magazine will not permit that sort of activity.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

4. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Ugh, a sad day today. A bear ate one of my neighbors this morning. Broad daylight. A few weeks ago, Fish & Game killed a momma mountain lion and her 3 cubs after they snatched some dogs. With that in mind, my wife needs a larger caliber carry gun for dog walks and such while I’m at work. Toting a long gun isn’t a practical option, and neither is telling her to remain indoors. I’m thinking 10mm, but she has very small hands. Grip diameter and trigger reach are a problem. Any recommendations other than moving to a city? And I’ve watched bears walk right through bear spray without flinching, so that’s out too, or at least not a great solution in my mind.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

One of your neighbors or their pets? Jeez either way, very sorry to hear! I’d say a 10mm too, but no idea what to recommend make or model-wise

6. deathwagon

Human neighbor, unfortunately. Sightings are not uncommon, but actual attacks are rare in these parts. Pretty shocking, and a gruesome scene described by other neighbors.

7. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Holy hell! Good luck, I don’t think pistol + a caliber that will stop a bear adds up to much that works with small hands. Has she ever held a P320? Sig came out with the 320 Xten not long ago. I haven’t held one but I’m sure it’s a little bigger than the 9mm version. Glock :Puke: also makes a 10mm.

How y’all feel about a revolver? The reach might be better but I think if there is a pissed off bear in the equation I’d want all the capacity I could have.

Edit…The M&P 2.0 also comes in 10mm and has 3-4 back straps.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  8. deathwagon

I want her to shoot the bear, not to have a gun randomly shoot her when she's doing the dishes...

Glock is out. I didn't even realize the M&P came in 10mm, thank you. Revolver, probably not because of low capacity, as you said. But she'll have to try one, something I don't think she's ever done.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  9. GixxerJohn011

:crackup::crackup::crackup:I think you can get the Xten with a safety. Glad somebody else shares my hatred of Glock. It’s in the same category as Harley and the Dallas Cowboys for me. It’s not so much the product itself but the typical fanboi.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Deathwagon, was this in Arizona? Seeing a story of a black bear killing an older gentleman in AZ on the news up this evening.
    You don't hear about black bear attacks very often.

11. deathwagon

Yes, that’s the one.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Damn, sounded intense with neighbors trying to help and all.

As for a handgun, I'd get your wife comfortable with a .357 mag revolver.

Sabre699, lizard84 and Yzasserina like this.
  13. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

Springfield also has the XD-M Elite in 10mm.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

357 magnum revolver. That's what my uncle swore by for his going out in the woods carry. Yeah the semis have higher capacity but if the bear isn't done by the 6th shot it's a moot point.

OldGuyOnBlu likes this.
  15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Holy thats some surreal shit!! I cant imagine but ive seen movies and youtube videos....WOW. The whole caliber debate on stopping bears will go on forever. Small hands and a woman and prob doesnt shoot much if any is gonna be tough to control anything. 9mm aint so bad if she shoots well with it https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

10mm 1911?

sorry to hear about your neighbor . That’s horrible

17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I really would consider a cmmg 10mm. Id buy the pistol then submit a form one to SBR it. A nice sling set up to carry it across the front of her body will be very comfortable. A 10mm, 357 mag , 44 mag etc standard pistol or revolver is probably going to over power your wife. Have her try out a few different firearms before you dive in. I’m working with my wife on her new home defense canned 9mm and it’s still very intimidating to her.
    Good luck and let’s us know how it works out.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/991677255
    they have a few

britx303 and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  18. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the same set up, just with a scorpion k 9mm (they dont choke on anything you feed them)....at the range she's most likely going to pull the trigger, caliber doesnt really matter, just have to mag dump at the head and spine and have something you can do that with and subguns are the ticket....the cmmg is going to be even more controllable with the roller delayed ish vs the direct blow back of the scorpion so definitely agree with that!!!

19. GixxerJohn011

That’s a great idea! Added bonus, your neighbors will leave you the fuck alone!

20. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

You guys are nutso haha aint no gal gonna be strappin that to walk her dog