1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You consider contact lenses? My left eye corrects to 20/40 and my right to 20/100 (basically there for decorative purposes and peripheral vision), with profound astigmatism in both. Have worn contact lenses for 45 years, and recently got scleral lenses. Not hard, not rigid gas perms, not soft. Game changer… I see better now than I ever have in my life. It was borderline shocking initially. I’m an old, so I still need reading glasses like lots of people in my demographic, but for everyday life, game changer.

It reminds me of when @fastfreddie put on the clear visor at Pocono instead of the smoke. Ummmm… I don’t want to see those bumps, now I’m scared, back to the smoke! :D

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Baby steps.

Yzasserina likes this.
  3. I dunno. I don’t like shit touching me (that’s the main reason I’ve put off getting glasses).

I don’t wear watches, rings, or any kind of bracelet or necklace. I don’t even wear jeans, I can’t handle the feel of them against my skin.

So I dunno. Contacts might be a stretch. If I can feel them in any way, they would drive me apeshit.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Only took a few windage clicks and I was zeroed in today with the slx. Setup a couple targets, including a steel I snagged at Wally World on the way there. It was very easy transitioning between targets with that reticle. Yeah, I think I’m going to need at least 1 more :D And on a side note, those 1/4” ar500 steel targets at Wally World……..yeah they were serious about using them for pistol calibers……I punched a few 5.56mm holes straight through :crackup:

dobr24 likes this.
  5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Once you get accustomed to them, you don’t feel them, you just sort of absorb the experience. You’d be more aware of wearing glasses. Google scleral contact lenses.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Will do. Thanks. :beer:

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

haha!

When you see that, it makes those 556 look a little more mean/ you may realize what you thought was cover is just concealment! They’ll zip right on through

britx303 and Triple X like this.
  8. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Get LASIK.
    Was the only thing that really helped my astigmatism.
    Gets rid of the wavy stuff.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

They'd have to knock his ass out and keep him restrained for the recovery based on his no likey touchy comments. That keratome slicing into your cornea while awake is about the worst sensation I've ever experienced. No pain but knowing what's happening and everything blurry once that happens.

Gorilla George and Yzasserina like this.
  10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It depends. I am decidedly not a candidate. Regardless of Broome’s, ahm, relevant issues, he may not be either. Degree of myopia, irregularity of cornea surface, etc. It could be the absolute worst thing to do, and not fixable once you do it.

11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

So what do you guys do when you are somewhere you can’t carry? We are in El Paso for a graduation and we went across to Mexico today. It was the first time since I started carrying that I went somewhere a little sketchy that I absolutely could not carry…I felt naked.

While there I looked up the knife rules and ordered one of these https://regimentblades.com/
    I’ve talked about training BJJ for years but I think today was the push I needed. I’m in reasonable shape and respectable as far as strength for my size but if I had to square off against somebody the size of GG or someone that has 14 seconds of training I really don’t like my odds.

What else are you guys doing besides avoiding places you can’t carry?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  12. I thought about that. But if I understand the doc correctly, the LASIK would fix my nearsightedness. I wouldn’t need glasses anymore to see stuff that isn’t right in front of me.

But I would lose my close up vision in the process. Is that right?

Basically I would just be trading glasses for stuff far away, for having to wear glasses when looking close up.

Is that how it works?

13. I always have a knife on me. That is just something I’ve done my whole life.

As far as not being able to carry, go into a lot of places that probably have signs that say “No guns allowed”.

But I have never seen any of the signs….

14. Absofuckinglutely they would have to knock me out. I can’t even watch scenes in movies where they mess with peoples eyes.

In addition to people/things touching me, I can’t handle people in my personal space, and ESPECIALLY not standing over me where I feel like I am trapped or being held down. That never ends well.

I have to get heavily loaded on Gas just for regular dental cleanings/checkups. If not I’ll have a panic attack, and it gets violent.

15. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Each situation is a bit different, but basically yes. That is how it works.
    For me lasik was a good option.
    Before lasik "far away" was blurry and "up close" was getting worse as I age.
    Now "far away" is clear and "up close" I need glasses to see very clearly.

I can get by just fine doing daily tasks, but everything close is just a little fuzzy without glasses.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you are a candidate for it you'll be 20/20 or better. The only issue with glasses would/will be getting old and needing reading glasses.

RRP likes this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I had lasik 20 years ago or so. Never needed readers til I hit 51. 19-19 years later so you may not need readers right away. My guess is with as often as we all use iPhones and computers most folks are going to need them regardless.

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

@Gorilla George it could save you from having to find the spot on your glasses that will work for what you're trying to see with bifocals.
    After Lasik the lenses are only for one type of vision correction, not trying to squeeze multi function into the same lense. The do a decent job of it with lenses, but
    it's still a pain in the ass.

I've been in bifocals for 10 years now. I can see distance with my glasses fine...I can read with them fine. Arms length as with a pistol in my hand..."intermediate" sight for me is fuzzy.
    So I'm shooting pretty good groups with irons on my Staccato and sigs with a kinda blurry sight picture. Got new glasses last year that had a bifocal that is right for that distance, but to use it, I have to try to "Look up" while I try use it. I'll get a different shooting specific set of glasses with the intermediate magnification lense later and experiement with that.

Lasik isn't for me, yet. My near and far vision isn't perfect, but it's not BAD enough to justify the expense at this point. Maybe later.

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Try the bifocals I posted on the link above. SSP eyewear has exactly what you need.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'll check them out, thanks!