1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I tried the 120/190 combo and the handling changed for me. All of a sudden the bike didn't handle the same. Rear seemed to change my geometry to where the bike didn't like to turn under braking (struggled most in harder braking/slow turns. I just fell like trailing and turning were made worse, went back to the 180 and it was way better.

Will try the 125 front with 190 rear next, just to make sure I have the adjustment needed with the taller rear/front.

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The 190/60 diameter is 6mm larger (662mm) than the 180/60 (656mm). Yep the 125/70 is larger so you may want to raise the front a touch and try that before buying a new front?

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Nope the 190/60 is available in SC0,1,2,3 and Daytona spec. Since you were at the GNF for end of the year sprint races Podium probably didn't bring the SC2 to make room for more zeros & ones? Or maybe they are on back order since getting containers to the US isn't exactly easy these days? And since James isn't your regular tire guy maybe he didn't know you wanted one?

4. JTRC51

My front is already raised and I can't go any further with it (And don't want to adjust the shock and change slope). I worked with GMD to get the right setup. I have 2 options left to explore.

1. Internally raise my forks 10mm (FKR)

2. Use the 125 front which will bring me back to the ideal #'s for my setup.

Both will actually allow me to lower my forks a bit and have more range of adjustment.

5. JTRC51

I asked James if there were any SC2 in the 190 sizes, he said not out yet.... so I had to buy 3 125 SC1 fronts and 6 SC1 190 rears. Would have loved to buy 2 SC1 & 4 SC2 rears!

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Weird but let me dig deeper

7. JTRC51

Cool, let me know, because I'd like to trade back some of my rear SC1s for SC2s.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Peter at GMD in New England? Nice guy BTW.

9. JTRC51

Kent in GA

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ahh, I used to see him at Highland Park Resort riding a few years back.

11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I had actually ordered a few from Mike ahead of time as well as a couple from James when I was there.

FWIW, the 190-SC2 is not on the pirelli website list. X, 0, 1, and 3 are though.

Given the way the track was eating tires on the right side, it probably would have torn a 2 as well anyways.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I understood that at the end of 2020 there was a plan to offer the 190/60 slick in a SC2 but WSS and the other European race orgs said it wasn't needed. And you can use a SC3 so it's all good.

And I totally forgot that Barber was repaved in 2020 so it sounds like it has returned to be very sensitive to bike set up and compound choice like in 03. That first year was crazy and it took about 5 years for the track to mellow and not eat tires. And if you add in the rain washing the rubber off the new pavement it gets very tough for the tires.

mpusch likes this.
  13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What pressures and compound front are you using?

14. JTRC51

Hey Mike,
    SC1 front, pressure set between 36-38 off warmers. This is with the 120/70 front. Will see how the 125 front likes that. Thoughts?

15. metricdevilmoto

Not to internet diagnose, but you might want to try an SC2 front and keep pressure on the high end of the scale that you're using. You're not necessarily describing a geometry problem even though that's the only change that was made. The previous geometry may have been masking the issue.

I think you'll find that there will be other disadvantages to the 125 front even though you're getting your geometry back to where is was prior to the upsize rear.

Just a suggestion. You can email me if you want to get into it more.

JTRC51 likes this.
  16. JTRC51

Interesting. Keen to know more. I'll shoot you a message. Very appreciative of any insight coming from you, sir!!

17. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

What do you feel are the disadvantages to running the 125 front?

18. metricdevilmoto

I feel the reverse question is more important. I was replying to him in context and if I didn't make it perfectly clear, I have no idea what the big picture is or the details, which is why I wanted more information in a more personal conversation, if he was interested.

What problem are you trying to solve with the 125 front on a 600 that can't be fixed with a 120? The most common answer I hear is geometry/ride height and, more often than not, it's not the case and, consequently, not the solution.

Maybe it is, in some cases, but I haven't seen it yet.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Don't change a thing and throw on a SC2 front first. Years back I tried a few SC1's out of lack of SC2's available track side and I hated the way they make the bike feel in similar situations to what you're describing. Been on Pirelli's for the last...7 years? And use a SC2 front 100% of the time. At this point, somebody would have to give me a free SC1 front to try and convince me to switch.

20. JTRC51

I've been on SC1/SC2 combo for years. I quite like it. Some days/tracks I try SC1/SC1. The 190 was the only change made. Went back to the 180 (SC2), bike was back to how I like it. Only change was rear tire (same front used both times)

Wheel Bearing likes this.