1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 meter row...

Discussion in 'General' started by Evad101, Sep 8, 2021.

1. sdg

sdg *

Just remember your back...

Gorilla George and Yzasserina like this.
  2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

8:11.6

I just can't...

dying now....

My resting hr just broke into the 40's last week. I consider myself in decent shape. I run, I lift fairly regularly, squat deadlift bench then some accessory stuff for my neck and back. I do 20-30+ pull ups per workout. I'm 50 this year as well.

OMG the nausea

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Evad101, IronCactus and sdg like this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Hmmm I think I need to try this. I work out 4-5x a week including lifting, cycling, and running. Very little HIIT though, so I'm curious to see how I do. I bet my wife crushes it, she's awesome at this kind of shit.

rk97 likes this.
  4. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

Great thread, I have an older C2 PM3 I bought years ago off CL, I call it "my mistress of pain". Rowers cough lol yeah better have a bucket ready! My C2 is the only fitness machine where I see immediate results, translates well to dirtbikes and off-road stuff.

6'2' late late 40's, 2000m usually I try to be under 7.50 for a good effort row. Best C2 2000m lately has been 7.23 at my gym trying to stay with my trainer using a drag factor of 130 damper at 6, the last 500m wow good God... pretty much blacked out ha. Took me years to get below 8.00 consistently in the 2000m, having someone help me with my form was key (and it still sucks compared people that actually row).

Personally I like Tabata style rows mixed with some jump rope.

I love my rower.

Mike

5. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

My excuse will be being 5’10” and being an idiot on breathing while working out/ being a bitch. I’ve stopped going heavy on the weights in favor of getting my cardio up so this is a good goal .

6. Damnit.

But I do get that a lot.

Every 3 months I have to get 8 injections into my spine, to deaden the nerves in that area (one injection into each side of each of the 4 bullshitass vertebrae). If I don't, the pain gets too much to handle and ill shut down (largely due to the fact that I refuse to take pain medication).

The injections themselves are brutal; it takes me 2-3 days to recover from the injections. But after that, I feel like a fucking Champion.

Every time, they remind me that just because I don't feel the lower 3rd of my spine, it doesn't mean it isn't still fucked up (obviously not in those exact words :crackup:)

sdg likes this.
  7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol. You can get on a rower. Maybe today is not the day. That day is out there, somewhere. In the meantime, you have a metric f%ckton of other physical opportunities before you to keep you engaged/inspired.. Tuck and rolls with your terrorist eliminating episodes; the way you describe them is very engaging.

Anyway, rowing is a very repetitive activity, and it calls a lot on your lower back. I know you're not stupid. Don't make me call you stupid. :)

Gorilla George and sdg like this.
  8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i had a similar issue. I paced for a 6:00 finish the first 500, but by 400, it was clear that i wasn’t going to maintain that pace…

the rest was just ‘damage control’ dealing with my pacing error.

my leg strength is a bit compromised since my MS diagnosis, but rowing and cycling seem a lot better than sprinting. I can’t trip (foot drop) when my feet are secured.

I’ll have to work the tower in more often. I’d been using it more for 5k or 30 minute endurance sessions, when i used it at all. Echelon bike is my most used piece of equipment.

9. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

Correct form when rowing is important to avoid injury, your back should not be involved in rowing at all. Pivot from your hips, use the upper body swing after you push off with your legs. Back should be as straight and upright as possible, do not slouch like I tend to as the row goes on. Rowing is a leg sport, utube has lots of vids on proper technique. Arms are not used for pulling in proper rowing but just to control(roll up of) the oars. However for some of the record erg times, arms are being used at the end of the stroke to get more pull, a rowing coach would yell at you but some do it when absolute time and not boat form are important. But always keep your back as tall/straight as possible, use your body as a lever. Music is critical to erg rowing and helps you keep pace, studies show up to 20% improvement with Van Halen! Some watch movies for long rows but studies show that hurts performance.

Gino230 and Yzasserina like this.
  10. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

There's got to be lat and rear delt work, though... There's some lower back extension, isn't there? Mostly isometric contraction stuff I imagine...

11. Yes Ma’am :D

12. That would be my concern.

Even “pivoting at the hips” could be an issue, because my aftermarket shit is at the very bottom.

My scar goes from about level with the 3rd rib up from the bottom, all the way down and it stops right above my ass crack (maybe TMI, but whatever, I don’t know how else to describe that spot :crackup:)

One of the most painful things is sitting in the bed, with my back up against the pillows/headboard.

The slouching of the shoulders and “rounding” of the upper back doesn’t bother me at all. The upper half is perfectly fine.

I can even doing back exercises where I pull the T-Bar to my chest, as long as my chest is supported so I don’t have to engage my lower back.

Anyway, the only way I’ll know is to try it. Imma try it today and see what it feels like. I’m 2 months out from my last injections, so if something isn’t right, I’ll feel it.

13. Paddy O

Yes, Lat engagement is a big deal, You "load" them as you start to push off the floor with your legs, and do so smoothly, not with a jerk. Even after a long, hard erg session, you should never have a specific body part hurting. The idea is to spread the work to the biggest strongest muscle groups and leave the weaker ones out. Point is, new rowers tend to use the back too much and that will hurt.

Evad101, Gorilla George and JCW like this.
  14. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it for time then...
    There's too much to go wrong your first dozen times out.
    Don't send it lol

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I do this short tri sprints with the c2 row, airbike, run.
    Last one I did about 2 months ago I tweaked my left hip on the rower I think.
    don't think it's a hip flexor. Thought it was a torn labrum it hurt so much, but now don't know...
    I not an ortho.

Are hip injuries something that happens on rowers?

16. All I do is send it. I don’t know how else to do anything. :D

JCW likes this.
  17. Paddy O

Older and new rowers can get odd injuries but almost always because they are doing something wrong. Unless you have a preexisting condition, even a hard row should not have any specific hurt, just general exhaustion. A good coach can spot your mistakes and correct quickly.

JCW likes this.
  18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I just looked at my heart rate chart and strokes/minute graph on my Garmin app. Hilarious.

Basically i was a golden god for 1:35, and then maintained 170ish beats per minute for the remainder of my struggle.

my strokes per minute dropped from 47 to 34!

i will have to try again next week. “PowerPhil” beat me by over 200 watts in my spin workout at lunch, so it’s been a humbling week.

19. upload_2021-9-10_14-18-1.jpeg

20. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

The last 500m is tough for sure but really the last 200m is where you PB is made, for me anyway. Split times are key and not going out too strong in the beginning. Takes a bit to find your rhythm with the split and holding it there. Natural tendency makes you want to go faster and harder but you have to be patient with it.

My split time is right about 1:33-1:34 @ a 28 stroke per min rate. I try and maintain that for the first 3 - quarters and the first 300m of the last 500m. With 200m to go I go for it and use what ever is left in the tank. (not much at that point)

I need to find a C2 and give it a go for a comparison now.

Glad to hear others find this ass kicking work out, uh... fun? :confused: