1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 meter row...

Discussion in 'General' started by Evad101, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I have been going to Orange Theory Fitness now since July 2019. (240ish classes so far) Took most of 2020 off (March 2020-March 2021) as the studio was closed due to the covids...

The thing I like most about OTF is the water rowing machine and the complete work out it gives me. OTF has benchmark days and one is the 2000 meter row. In many athletic circles, the 2000m row is considered a very good indicator of overall fitness if you can achieve a solid time.

The world indoor record is a 5:35.9 on a Concept 2 rower.

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/racing/records/world/2000

I am not sure how a water rower compares to a concept 2 but I did my PB today @ a 6:14.5 with a surgical mask on for the covids. (County mandate here in Washington State)

Previous best was a 6:16.9 (maskless)

Progression: Nov 2019 - 6:39.20, Feb 2020 - 6:19.90, May 2021 6:48.00 (1 year off) July 2021 6:20.00, Sep 2021 - 6:14.5 (today and PB)

I am pretty stoked by it and look forward to the next row when I can do it mask free and try to beat it again.

FYI - I am in the 50-59 yo age group

Anyone else row?

rk97, sdg and Phl218 like this.
  2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Gorilla George, joec, Montoya and 2 others like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, if he didn't before, he does now. :D

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Seriously should have just tagged him in the title and called him a girly man with this challenge that's just been laid down, in his head anyway

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Or Lady boy. NTTAWWT :beer:

noles19 likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem impressive to me. Pretty sure I could do 2000m in 6 hours too with a little bit of practice.

8. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I don't row but I did 1 min 50 sec per 500m average pace over 4000m as part of a crossfit workout so I image if 2000m was all I had to do I could knock that down quite a bit.

sdg and Evad101 like this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

rowing not so good... motorboating Im MFA level...hehe

Gino230, cpettit and dtalbott like this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shit...now Broome is gonna crush some gym's poor rowing machine. :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

rk97 likes this.
  12. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

The Concept 2 has resistance from 1-10, Water Rower doesn’t. Not shitting on your performance but if you want a good, punishing workout, hop on a Concept 2. Crank the resistance to 10 and do 250M splits with 30 seconds of rest in between splits. The water rower doesn’t provide that unless you’re going 100% at all times.

Good on you to feel better and get out there. I’m a taller dude at 6’4, so I crush rowing workouts at my local CrossFit gym. There’s never a bad day on the rower, especially when you incorporate wall balls/box jumps, maybe some Dumbell snatch’s in between.

Do you really want to die? Jump on a Rogue Echo bike and do 15 calorie sprints with a minute rest in between. I’ve gone from 335lbs to a solid 240lbs by rowing and air bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gino230, YamahaRick, Montoya and 3 others like this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Congrats on the weight loss :beer:

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I went canoeing a couple months ago and did 7 miles in less that that time. Are you rowing a barge?

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I LOVE the water rowing machine at our gym. It is hypnotic watching it spin around. I just zone out and daydream. Low impact for my too many miles on paved roads knees.

Gino230, Gorilla George and dobr24 like this.
  16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

any average close or over 200 metres a minute, on a concept2 at level 10, is a pretty good work out, and fitness level. Ski

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Averaging better than 67 mph? That must have been some serious white water.

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

View-of-the-impressive-Niagara-Falls.jpg

19. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

read that too fast… thought your were measuring in hours.

@mpusch fucked me up lol!

20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

good job on the rower. My form kinda sucks imo but I like it. We have the concept 2's but I've been on the orange theory ones. They are nice and keep it up! Whatever keeps you coming into the gym is all that matters.

KneeDragger_c69, sdg and Evad101 like this.