1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automotive Clear Overlays - A Question

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Mar 10, 2021.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

So I will be asking for a few quotes for PPF soon.

This past weekend, a friend bought a used car that needed cosmetic attention. He made me aware of recent products containing Graphene. Hype or legit? Is it good to use on PPF?

If I get PPF for the new Avalon, what does the applier do regarding surface prep?

I had my nine year old Camry washed by some illegals undocumented workers in Kennesaw. Then my friend used a Turtle Wax spray (ICE Seal n Shine) on it. I couldn't believe the difference, relative to the amount of effort needed. The only drawback is the flaws now really stand out. Overall, I was very impressed with the product.

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

The correct way to do it is to have a detailer do a 2 step paint correction, then a ceramic coat, then apply your PPF. That's going to be expensive though.....$1500 - $2000 for the paint correction and ceramic coating then whatever the PPF cost.

3. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

That's insane for a two step and ceramic. PPF is definitely going to be expensive but 1500.00 -2000.00 for a two step and ceramic. . .how much are they charging for the two step. . .and how much for the ceramic?

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Seems in line with the pricing I saw. I just got 2 step & ceramic (IGL) in January and was under $1500, but with 20% friend discount that I gave back mostly in tip.

5. motorkas

Wow. I've seen about a 1000.00 with friends who have exotics, but never that high on "normal" cars with factory paint. I do the paint correcting on my own cars so didnt realize the prices keep going up. That's mind blowing considering the tools and polishes that are out there now and how much easier it makes it today vs even 10
    years ago....

If you dont mind me asking - what car and what color is it?

BigBird likes this.
  6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Blue Audi SQ5 / Chicago area. I had some factory paint issues (mostly stuff a detailer sees) and also water spotting on the hood/roof - quite a bit of paint correction for a couple year old car.

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

PPF can get crazy expensive, especially people doing every single panel on the car.

Back in 2011 when we bought a new Acura TL we didn the front bumper and partial hood. it did its job protecting the paint. But I honestly dont like the look and feel of it.
    My current car I ceramic coated myself, just to get the water sheeting and make washes easily.
    I rather enjoy my car and get a few rock chips here and there over the years than have it wrapped in plastic and keep pristine for the next guy.

BigBird likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

We saved a significant amount of $$$ on the purchase, as it was a red headed stepchild of a car - it sat on the lot for 18 months. And I didn't let them screw me over at the end. With the improvement in appearance of my 2012 vehicle with just some basic work, I wouldn't mind spending a few dollars on the 2020 Avalon to make it last, appearance-wise.

doppio and BigBird like this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

Where are you located?? Wow....my new to me car is $1500 for paint correction and ceramic coating the exterior (5 year coverage) and then doing the interior. It's a nicer "high end" sports car but not an exotic....but $1000 sounds crazy cheap!

10. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Depends on the ppf installer and what sort of coverage on the car. Any new car will benefit from a paint correction prior to ppf or ceramic coating. With ppf + ceramic coating, the ceramic would be applied over the film as well.

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

If it sat around that long on the lot, definitely needs some contaminant removal. What color is it?

12. motorkas

It’s amazing how quickly paint can get jacked – just the “wash” the dealership usually does upon delivery is enough to put swirls and micro scratches in it. I made the mistake of owning a higher end black car when I was younger so now I’m screwed when it comes to seeing that shit. . .even with brand new cars, if I don’t have the time to do it myself, it goes and gets polished and sealed before I even bring it home (usually pay around 350.00 - but that’s with larger vehicles like my 250, and before that, an Expedition EL). Last summer I bought a Volvo S60 for a daily that was less than a year old with 4000 miles on it (swore I’d never do black again but it was too good of deal to pass up). . .paint corrected it myself because had the time with all the lock downs (they said they normally charge 700.00 for the detail so I just had them take it off the price and did it myself) but even in that time and that little mileage, the paint was JACKED if you knew what to look for.

Left side has been "corrected" by me; right side is 4000 miles and less than a year (shitty quality pic but you should see the line pretty clearly - those are all micro scratches causing it to look blue and hazy under the light. . .:mad:).

IMG_4448.jpg

Finished.

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

This was the day I did the truck last spring.

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

A couple months later after wiping it down with a wet micro fiber towel.

IMG_2025.jpg

That was the reason I was surprised - had no idea the going rate was 1500.00 - 2000.00 in some areas to do a two stage and ceramic. Obviously, I have all the gear (and had the time to do it) but the reason I get lazy and farm it out at times is because it only costs me about 350.00 for the 2 stage and sealant (not ceramic). Eye opening man - really eye opening.

YamahaRick, BigBird and Chino52405 like this.
  13. motorkas

I’m in the DC metro area (which is why I was surprised by that quote) – I thought if anybody was getting hammered on pricing, it would be us. As I said to Chino – whether it’s myself or paying someone to do the larger cars – all my cars get paint corrected and sealed (I use a regular sealant and then re-up it with a strip, claybar, and light polish (if necessary) in the spring and then just sealant in the fall for winter. I’ve never paid over 350.00 for an exterior only (no point to do the interior on new cars) – and that’s with a surcharge for the extra work with the bigger trucks. I’ve heard the prices vary on applying the ceramic so can’t really talk to that but most apply those costs to the prep (paint correction) so that’s why I was caught off guard by the estimate – I can get a car corrected and sealed in less than a day (and this is just a hobby/OCD thing for me) – trucks take a weekend (day one is wash, clay and tape; day two is polish and seal). If I had a team to work on a car – half a day – tops.

I’m not saying you guys didn’t get your money’s worth (I told my brother to get PPF for his M3 and that came out to a little over 3000.00 for the whole front, fenders, lights, mirror, rockers, lower doors rear wheel area, rear bumper and luggage entry and roof) but I did the rest of the car for him not covered by film.

My friend had his WHOLE 570 done – dealership quoted him 7500.00 to do it – he negotiated down to 5000.00. Other friend just gets his cars ceramic coated but interestingly enough, on the car he got delivered last week, they paint corrected and ceramic coated it before it even got to him (and it hadn’t been on the road yet) and he didn't get charged for it. When buying a car – I make it part of the deal – has to be paint corrected and sealed – or they have to take the price of doing it off the car.

Friends 570 - whole thing is PPF'd. . .5000.00

IMG_6769 (3).jpg

Other friend had this corrected and ceramic coated by the dealership (no cost) before they would deliver it to him last week.

IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg

Guys I take it to when I get lazy (NOT ceramic coated - just sealed - I checked to make sure I wasn't making shit up in my head:D)

IMG_4451.jpg

It's close to 700.00 for an interior/exterior - as I said - don't know about the ceramics but I can't see it costing more for a time and materials perspective than a multi stage correction - that's why I was caught off guard - could be totally wrong (and still can be because I don't know about the ceramics) but just trying to figure out where the costs are coming from with it.

Chino52405 likes this.
  14. ClemsonsR6

Damn! That's one helluva deal.....and dudes garage has nicer floors than my house......hell....who trims out the garage with wainscoting????

BigBird likes this.
  15. YamahaRick

Wind Chill Pearl - an upgrade with added cost. An off white. Much nicer than their Super White, IMO.

[​IMG]

BigBird and doppio like this.
  16. motorkas

Yeah. . .you'd never guess by looking at the garage but he's really down to earth and genuinely good people (the amount of good I've personally seen him do is pretty mind blowing). Can't lie though, being a "car guy", every time I step into his garage I have to take a second and usually end up giggling like a little kid. . . also can't lie - had to google what the hell wainscoting is .:D.

That looks really good in white! Definitely get it corrected if it needs it- if she's not going to be doing a lot of driving (or not alot of highway work) I'd personally skip the PPF.

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

I wouldn't even wrap that. It's more grille than bumper.

Avalon surely looks much better than it used to. Nice ride.

~sent from mobile

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Apparently guys that can afford Ferraris. I'm not sure I would call that a garage; more of a show room. No jack is getting rolled across that floor. Definitely impressive looking.

19. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I know this is like asking which oil is best but for you guys that are doing paint correction yourselves what pads/compounds do you use? I have a black F150 and while I don't want to spend crazy time or money on making it look perfect these swirl marks are driving me crazy

20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Whatever you do make sure you replace it every few years. All clear bras degrade/go to shit/ crack/ become impossible to remove after a few years