1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowmobiles?

Discussion in 'General' started by burnham, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yeah no. I rode sleds back when I worked at the dealership, but I find them heavy (even more these days) and not fun to ride. Dragging a knee on a road race bike at 80 or throwing a 230 lbs. dirt bike down a nasty single track is so much more fun, IMHO.
    But up here in the frozen north of Michigan they are big business. So like I said I prefer to grab a flight to ATL and ride in the woods during the non boating months.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

There's something a little magical when you and a couple friends are the first or one of the first behind the groomer in a tunnel of snow covered trees and just going for miles and miles. :)

TSC_113 likes this.
  3. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I've got 3 RC8's and a 500 exc!

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If I lived where snow is dependable, maybe. Otherwise, I'm with Pneumatico.
    Meh...they're like quads in that you don't want to crash; if you're not riding at the limits, you might as well be skiing on the bunny slopes.

969 likes this.
  5. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I had a Yamaha Nytro for a couple years. It was reliable and I sold it for what I paid for it (bought used). Oil chang, a belt, and new sliders at the beginning of the season and it was ready to go.

I got rid of it because I’d had enough of driving to find snow and it was one more thing to maintain. If I lived on the trail and we got snow I would’ve kept it.

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

If you're running prepared trails I'd go with a 4 stroke engine. If you like going off the beaten path a 2 stroke is better IMO due to how much lighter those sleds can be.

ducnut likes this.
  7. Banditracer

So if you can't ride something at 100 % flat out all the time you don't want to ride it ? :rolleyes:

8. fastfreddie

Let's just say I would trade in my sport and competition bikes for a Harley. No one wants to push a Harley to its limits and I damn sure ain't skiin' on the bunny slopes.

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’ll never understand why people feel the need to jump in a thread and comment “don’t get one at all I don’t like them” when the OP is asking for help deciding on a particular model or brand of something. Why even say anything?

Boman Forklift and burnham like this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

We moved out to the country 10 years ago and we're right on a feeder trail to E108 in Ontario. I finally bought one at the start of last winter and wish I did years ago. Had an awesome time last winter, and could theoretically ride any trail in Ontario from my doorstep (with a lot of gas stops). I wanted to buy something 1999 or older because the trail passes are much cheaper, so I picked up a 99 Yamaha Vmax (why does yamaha recycle so many names....) 600 with estart and reverse. Looking to pick one up for the wife too, and maybe a mini z for the kids to ride around the backyard. They love going for rides too.
    [​IMG]
    I don't have any opinion on newer sleds, just posted this as another recommendation to just get one. Great fun.

I'd second the buy used sentiment. There's a lot of guys who buy new every 2-3 years, and you can pick up one of those sleds for nearly half price or better. Or you can try your luck at finding an older one like mine that's been looked after and babied it's whole life. Good luck.

11. fastfreddie

@Scotty87, cuz
    [​IMG]. :D

(Your post count suggests you'd know better. :confused:)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes sir. Or you're getting fuel at at a stop and someone says "the groomer just went down trail 129" and you completely change your route to hit that groomed snow, or the look on the face of a newby when you come across a $200k tractor pulling a grooming sled in the middle of nowhere.

Banditracer likes this.
  13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Slingshot engage.
    go.jpeg

track wagon, JJJerry, ducnut and 3 others like this.
  14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah I know. Still just perplexing.

15. fastfreddie

go.jpg
    I rest my case...
    :crackup:

16. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Only grab a 4 stroke tubro if your running lakes and wide trails bar to bar. For a riding experience and trail fun the 800cc class 2 Strokes are the way to go. I'm partial to the Arctic Cat ZR 8000's (129 length) but the BRP's are good as well. They will still run plenty fast and are far more nimble than the 4 strokes. But if your WFO on open lakes the big turbos are a hoot.

R/T Performance, zertrider and ducnut like this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

This is an outsider perspective, much like the OP.

Some years ago, a buddy and I drove 7hrs north up into northern WI, where he kept two sleds stored at a dealership. They had the machines prepared, for our mid-week arrival. His “buddy sled” is a 2000 MXZ, with a couple hundred picks and cleats, heated grips, and pull-start. All the main trails were beat. However, the remote trails and lakes were awesome. I really enjoyed exploring the timber, without any real destination. Lake Superior and the massive shoreline ice chunks were amazing to see. We slept only a few hours a night. I had the time of my life and would own a sled, if I didn’t have to travel so far to find snow.

If I had anything to offer, it’s mostly what has already been covered:
    1.) Buy a nice, low-mile machine.
    2.) Install picks and cleats. Period. My buddy’s machine was a new, whiz-bang hot rod of a Ski-Doo and I walked him everywhere, except across open lakes and fields.
    3. Keep plenty of high quality oil (2T), drive belt, plugs, headlight bulb, and other consumables on the sled.
    4.) Use the money saved over buying a new sled to buy a complete set of heated gear, especially a heated helmet with heated shield. With heated foot wells, heated grips, layers of Carhartts, and neoprene balaclava, I froze my ass off and struggled with keeping a clear shield. The only miserable aspect of the whole experience.
    5.) Spend only as much money as you’re willing to give away. If your life changes and you no longer sled, be prepared to basically give the stuff away, as it’ll have very little value. NBD, if you really enjoy it and get your money’s worth out of it all.
    6.) Don’t drink and sled. The drunks on the trails ruin it for everyone and if you’re the sober one, hopefully, your evasive maneuvering will save your well-being.
    7.) Don’t write a check your ass can’t cash. Trees don’t move.
    8.) Enjoy the experience with your buddies. Having friends all enthusiastically involved in the same activity as you, keeps one feeling youthful and alive.
    9.) If your buddy is going to store your shit, pick up his tabs wherever possible. My buddy was paying something like $1200/yr on two rack slots, plus the servicing fees of the sleds. But, it meant not pulling a trailer and the machines were spot-on when we arrived and correctly serviced for storage when we left.

I’m all for the idea. Have fun!

A. Barrister and acorn27 like this.
  18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I grew up sledding and only quit a few years ago.

Heated shields are over rated. Never had one, never had an issue using a motocross helmet, goggles and a balaclava. It's all about airflow.

Heated grips are a must.
    Carhartts are the absolute worst thing the wear! They soak in water like a sponge. Once you get your ass wet, you are screwed for the rest of the ride...
    Get a good set of snowmobile bibs.

ducnut likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Layers of Carhartts were all I had, man.

Do goggles not fog in the cold?

We came across a factory Arctic Cat rider and he had on exactly what you describe. He rode standing and I couldn’t believe how fast someone could be riding like that. I think, this was 2004, so it was new to me.

20. Banditracer

Yeah for sure you don't want gear that will soak up moisture. Carhartt's might be ok for half an hour around home but not for an all day ride. Heated shields are nice but not necessary but a double lense shield is a must, a single lense shield will fog almost instantly. I've got both and haven't used the electric one in a couple years.

OP one thing to be aware of on alot of these new sleds is there's very little wind protection, they can be cold as hell. Make sure you're aware of that, the older sleds with real windshields on them are alot warmer.

ducnut likes this.