1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many track days a year

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffmack, Oct 4, 2019.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Track Days..... Racing...... Do both and tell everyone to F$&%k Off!

Laz, TurboBlew, 418 and 2 others like this.
  2. I need to ride on the tires you are using, fuel and running costs as well.

3. Like I say, so which ever one you are having fun at, especially when self funded.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

'94

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Bridgestone BT002s lasted me a few track days (3-4 nominally), pump gas in the bike and I rode with a buddy to the track, he paid travel, I paid for a room.

6. Ok so $100 a day on tires.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. SLIMMACKEY

SLIMMACKEY Well-Known Member

Havent posted in a while but from my experience the cost has been as follows: 180-200 for a single day. Lets say 50 to fill up your vehicle, another 12 to fill up a 5 gallon gas jug, and I usually spend about 15 on food and water for the cooler. Initial costs are incurred upfront when planning to do a multitude of track days. But on average I say if its just one day, like I normaly do costs should be around 200-250. I do that a couple times a month when possible. I was in Atlanta, then moved up to NYC. Costs have pretty much been around that average. Variables on gas and whether or not you incur lodging costs would be how far the track is from home and whether or not you do the full weekend.

8. Bloodhound

I don't recall exactly. I think when I bought them from an online vendor they were phasing them out for the 03s and it was a 2 rear, 1 front deal I stockpiled up on.

Edit: I see the point you're going after but I wasn't honestly figuring in tires and other consumables into the equation...anyone can go down the rabbit hole nickel and diming expenses but wear items and chain lube I didn't factor in.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

but that "rabbit hole nickel and diming expenses", is the rabbit hole of reality.. ;)

Pitmom42 likes this.
  10. Bloodhound

Then factor in oil changes, filters, how much did the cooler cost divided by number of uses, cost of sandwich baggies, lunchmeat slices, mayonaise/condiments.... Did you lay it down and now need replacements to get back on track? Tire mounting dismounting costs, and did you pay for disposal or (as I did) sell take offs on CL...

How far do you want to itemize into reality?

11. jeffmack

jeffmack Well-Known Member

Think That’s plenty of itemization. Thanks. I’m hoping to progress to racing, sounds like good fun with great people. I’ll be shopping for a bike ASAP and try to get up to speed for racing soon.
    J

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Oh, so you did OK racing in a class (which class by the way?) so of course, your one off experience must mean it's not a bad choice.

Yeah, right. Tell a dude to go straight into racing these days, where track days are way more prominent than they were 10+ years ago. Yeah, let's just tell him to grid up, and this mofo doesn't know the first thing about getting into the sport (as is clearly seen by his honest beginner questions, at no fault of his own).

You'd send this guy to be the dude wearing the orange shirt that would get lapped by the entire field by the 4th lap, putting himself and others in danger...for what, exactly?

Fucking retarded.

13. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

just picked up a FS450 so i'm about to wreck shop on kart track days at $35 a pop

MachineR1 likes this.
  14. jeffmack

jeffmack Well-Known Member

have many of you guys given up riding on the road aft anyone have any leads on a decent 05'-09' 600cc track bike that would be good for a newbie to learn on? looking to be under 4k
    thanks
    j

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Never said that's what this guy should do. Just pointing out that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm certainly not the only guy that never did a track day and just went racing. Calm down, don't get your panties in a bunch.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Take a look at:
    06+ GSXR 600
    03-05 R6 or newer R6S

Those platforms are pretty well-supported for track purposes, especially the GSXR. Melk-man had a good write up of the 03-05 R6 and why it's perhaps a better platform for newer track riders than the 06+ model.

From personal experience, I'd stay away from the 04/05 GSXRs. They are an ergonomic mess.

I'd still recommend something like an SV or 300 if you're truly very new to all of this. There are definitely guys who can learn on a 600 with little issue, but most seem to get more comfortable and faster quicker on a little bike.

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You're right, some of them are more beneficial to all those involved than others.

18. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

In 2015 (1st year) I did roughly 10 or so weekends (got bit by the bug). This year I did 2 days, 1 race weekend. I don't know if I can afford this sport anymore.

Local MX tracks charge $20-$30 per day. Tires, gear, fuel etc. is cheaper and I have just as much fun if not more

MachineR1 likes this.
  19. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

As an owner of an 04-05 I'm curious, what you mean by that?

20. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

It’s always fun to watch the little bikes eat up the bigger ones in the novice groups