1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many track days a year

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffmack, Oct 4, 2019.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ill kindly disagree. If you dont gear up because you "dont want to rash" your suit or something equally obtuse ... then maybe motorcycling aint for them. (Ive seen ALOT of that).
    But it absolutely teaches EVERYTHING you need at a relaxed pace and gets the "crash phobia" dismissed pretty quick.
    Ive lost count of the # of folks Ive brought mini riding/racing... cant say Ive ever had one suffer an injury other than being "butt hurt" or "emotional" over something silly. (its over 100 people for sure). A good many of them were suprised how physical it was.

CharlieY likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I personally think Mini-Racing/Track riding initially teaches you more. You cannot ride a mini with bad technique and expect to go fast.
    You cannot hide lack of talent with horsepower like you can on a big bike.

I know I'm not a great rider. I have fun, but, I'd like to be faster/better than I am. So, I took a year off to focus on me on Minis while
    I had a complete shit ton of fun with my 9 year old son.

Saw plenty of mini crashes this year...only one serious injury, and that guy went out skimping on his gear. I kinda scratched my head when I saw the guy in mostly street riding like gear (Jeans/knee protectors/summer mesh type jacket and Timberline boots). Second corner into the first lap of Adult Limited practice and the guy goes down and breaks his leg in the second corner. He kinda set himself up for that by tempting Fate that way.

Anyway, I cannot advocate giving mini's a try enough. Just wanted to do something fun with my son...discovered another way to cross train, get more seat time and further my love of motorcycling. The Kid teaches me new ways to see the world every day.

Shocker, BigBird, Chris and 2 others like this.
  3. jeffmack

jeffmack Well-Known Member

Do a lot of guys camp at the track on track day weekends? If u get a hotel do i leave your trailer, bike and pits stuff there overnight?
    Thanks
    J

4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I guess i’m still Old School . Forget about Track Days and just sign up to go racing with WERA ... you will learn faster , and you will be surrounded by a much better group of guys that will give you the shirts off their backs to help you out than you will find at any track day .
    You can’t believe how much more you learn from Racers , as opposed to posers .. JM.02 cents :beer:

BigBird and SpeedyE like this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I sleep in my car if a cheap yet clean AirBnB isn’t available. I generally drive in the morning of (5 hour drive). Really it’s not too bad. I don’t start to crash until about 7-8 p.m. the day of, which is perfect to get rest for Sunday.

I estimate this season cost me about $4,000 all in. That was for 2-3 days a month, with some months having 4 from May to October. That’s on a 300, though, at upper Intermediate pace.

BigBird likes this.
  6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yes lots of guys camp at the track,I have a tent, but most guys have RVs. Last weekend I stayed at a Motel 6 because it was very windy, and I am getting old, cost 50 bucks. I locked my trailer to the car,and bike to the trailer with a big chain at the hotel.

7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Leaving your bike and gear at the track is safer than in a hotel parking lot any day of the week. Tracks have all night security patrols.

BigBird and 5axis like this.
  8. jeffmack

Honest question, can i really do that having never ridden on a track or even having a track bike yet?
    Is it a good idea to get done laps under me before signing up and racing with WERA?
    Thanks
    J

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Yes you can, and yes, it's a terrible idea to go straight to racing. Go get a year of track days under your belt and work your way up to Intermediate group before you grid up for the first time.

Laz, tdelegram, busa99 and 4 others like this.
  10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Don't know where you're located but if in Fla, check out German Vacca at Bike Pass Motorsports(BPM) he also rents bikes

11. jeffmack

Thanks. I’ll do that.
    Atlanta area for me. Will travel
    J

Shenanigans likes this.
  12. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Something I've learned doing track days and a bit of racing over a few years is that you can make the sport as expensive as you'd like. Most of what you pay for is convenience.

Buy a harbor freight trailer, hypersport tires without warmers, and sleep in the car/suv/pitch a tent. Bring some basic tools, chairs, cooler, etc. You'll have just as much fun as everyone else out on track.

Getting good gear is important, but you can get safe stuff and not spend thousands.

Add items for convenience as desired and as affordable.

BTW, on the whole the folks doing track days and racing are all great. Plenty of overlap in the groups anyways. Almost anyone will be happy to help you out.

rk97 and BigBird like this.
  13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

5hrs south....
    http://jenningsgp.com/track-schools.html

Nov 8 is an all day novice school. It’s a great place and way to get intro to track riding. The track will rent you everything you need from boot to gloves and a bike.
    Do yourself a favor and get a hotel for your first weekend. You’ll want good sleep and a place to decompress.

NemesisR6 and TurboBlew like this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

+1 on what Micah said. The problem is this damn sport is addictive. Start out with a few tokes of weed and soon enough you'll be mainlining horse. :eek: When you figure your budget (seriously, don't do this!) it's not just the cost of the TD.....figure fuel (both for the bike and the truck/car), tires!, maintenance incl frequent oil/filters, crash repairs (oops, forget I said that), beer:beer:!, 2 of everything like helmets/gloves/leathers....the list gets long. Don't forget the divorce if your wife doesn't get it.....:rolleyes:
    It's better to just go back to bed and pull the covers over your head........:p

tdelegram likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so track days are full of "posers" but "racing" has a more benovelent type demographic??? lol. Just sign up, grid up and follow a faster racer in practice... right? :D Isnt that called "motobigotry"?? :D

The good thing about trackdays... the skill level seperation so you can bring ALL your friends and have fun. :D

16. :stupid:

17. All of them.

Sabre699 and TurboBlew like this.
  18. jeffmack

Great replies. What i was looking for. The JGP day looks awesome. but I’ll have work that day.

Anything i need to know about a 2013 SV 650. ? A Mate has one for sale. Seems like a great affordable way for me to get started for a few years?

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Buy a prepped bike in your area from this forum, or TDJ Yard Sale on FB. It’s far more economical, especially for a bike that will probably see the pavement more than once just starting out.

20. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

And dont write-off cheap 300 class bikes.

R Acree likes this.