1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2019 | Round 10 | Brno | Czech Republic | Aug 2-4

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jul 29, 2019.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Dani was faster in the F1 car. Dani = GOAT!

Phl218 likes this.
  2. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

upload_2019-8-6_10-0-11.jpeg

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Sorry to say, this race was so boring it literally put me to sleep...

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

a lot of motorsports do that to people. I have to watch F1 over two days.

5. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I actually work with his son and I have heard some stories thru other coworkers, but I’ll make sure to ask his son next time I see him.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Read was a great rider who I don't think gets the credit he deserves, if Hailwood hadn't been around he would be regarded as the best rider Britain produced. He probably would have had a few more world championships too. He was a master of mind games and from what I've read he never spoke badly of other racers.

7. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

1985, Freddie Spencer. Result? Championships in both attempts.

8. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

You realize 1985 was 20+ years ago, right? :D

BigBird likes this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

With a name like "Past Glory", one wonders.....:D

BigBird likes this.
  10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Mindewe, he wasn't disputing the 25 years either....

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

If Hailwood had not been around . . . .

Yeah, and I'd have accomplished a lot more in my life if some folks had not been around.

Read was a putz.

Cheers,

Dave

12. Robin172

So Dave, you don't think he was a good racer?

My point being is that if you take Hailwood out of the equation, Phil Read would have been the most successful Britain in the world championship of that era. He won on 125's, 250's and 500's and was prepared to go toe to toe with Saarinen on the underdeveloped and ill handling MV4 when Agostini wouldn't.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Phil Read was obviously a good racer. He was pompous, arrogant and could be a real prick. Hailwood was a far better rider, and was charismatic as well - folks loved Mike the Bike.

A friend from Lancaster who was at the 1978 TT tells the story of Read setting out on the Honda, followed some riders later by Hailwood on the Ducati. I believe Hailwood made up the start difference midway thru the 2d lap. The Island cheered and went wild. Hailwood continued to build his lead, and Read, struggling to minimize the lead Hailwood was consistently building, after not having raced bikes for 10 years, and being injured racing F1 and having retired, blew up the Honda to have an excuse. When Read expired, the Island went wild. As Hailwood would come down the Mountain from Keppel Gate to the Creg, the fans pulled out their handkerchiefs and waved them in an early version of The Wave in front of the rapidly approaching Hailwood. The story finishes with not a dry eye on the Island when Mike crossed the finish line on Glen Crutchery Road. If there was ever a testimony to Hailwood's innate racing ability, it was the '78 TT.

I simply don't consider Read to be one of the truly outstanding greats. I also think the claim of a G.O.A.T. is ridiculous, for many of the reasons stated above. There have been and will be great riders throughout their respective periods, and they will vary with the conditions, equipment, challengers, rules, etc. I think Ago, Hailwood, Rossi, and now, begrudgingly, Marquez are that tiny bit better than the rest. I struggle with Ago a bit because his machinery was so far superior to everything else at the time - he'd lap the entire GP field.

And by the way - that has always been Read's whine for the last 40+ years - I'd have been world champ a bunch more times if it were not for Hailwood. You don't hear that from Roberts, Schwantz, Lawson, . . . any one else.

I hear ya about Read, and his records speak for themselves. I'm simply a prejudiced old man who has no love lost for the prick. And you know me, I'll jump at an opportunity to stir up some god natured controversy with ya. :Poke:

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    BigBird, MV Rider and younglion like this.
  14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Yes and he was so physically and mentally spent after that epic accomplishment that he was never the same racer again

BigBird likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

IIRC, he has admitted that himself.

16. Robin172

Colour me surprised.:p

(however I don't entirely disagree with some of what you wrote)

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Read ignoring team orders at Yamaha and basically stealing a world championship from teammate Bill Ivy.

83BSA likes this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Casey won against the Aliens. The field hasn't been that stacked since.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Maybe this pic should be in the "I'm old" thread, but this was the heyday of GP racing, maybe add Stoner.... 26pedrosa,46rossi,93marquez,99lorenzo,_pressconf-6_original.jpg

20. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Really would have been cool to see Stoner and Marc at HRC at the same time. Hopefully JLo heals up soon

nd4spd likes this.