1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2019 | Round 10 | Brno | Czech Republic | Aug 2-4

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jul 29, 2019.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And just like that, Capirossi vaults past Doohan, Lawson and Rainey who didn't win a single MotoGP race on a 4-stroke bike. Come on, man.

masshole likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

That really doesn't really roll off the tongue well.

GSF--gee sef

and well "All time" includes "so far", because the future hasn't arrived yet :)

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget Agostini also, who has more championships than the alleged GOAT

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It sounds better if you say it with a Rossi accent.

5. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I used a little google-fu and discovered that Mamola did, indeed, finish 2nd in the premier championship 4 times. Pedrosa only did it 3 times. Somehow I had the impression that Pedrosa owned that distinction.

But there is someone who finished 2nd in the premier class 5 times, beating both Mamola and Pedrosa in the bridesmaid class. His initials are VR.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You're missing the progression of bikes and the fact that Rossi rode all of those and won. What makes it unique for Rossi is this bike progression, and it many never be like this again. And when you factor Rossi captivated the press and fans with his personality and pranks, costumes, bowling on track etc. then he's the goat. You have to admit that no one has brought as much attention in a positive way to roadracing like he has.

7. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

So the criteria for GOAT is when they were born.

:crackup:

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

:whoosh:

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

And their acting skills!

10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

No, it's the "charisma" obviously.

11. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

There is some truth to that.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

What percentage of GOATness is wardrobe and theatrics?

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's a tough call, they've been great at it the past 7-8 years :crackup:

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not missing anything. He's not the only one who transitioned to a new types of bikes when the rules changed. As a matter of fact, the entire grid did, except for the year there were both 500s and 4-strokes to keep the numbers up. Every time the rules changed, the best guys remained generally the best, the mid-pack guys remained mid-packers, and the guys at the back stayed at the back. That's how it is because the best guys on the grid are good enough to "master" whatever you throw at them.

By your logic, no racer who competed in an era when the technical rules remain stable should be eligible for GOAT consideration. So no one who didn't compete both before 2003 and after 2012 will I ever eligible. Pretty convenient.

I'm not questioning that he is the most popular racer and probably the greatest entertainer there ever was in MotoGP. It doesn't change the fact that the "he mastered all kinds of bikes" argument never held water.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Or....the inferior racers they raced against.

16. 600 dbl are

Less than winning, more than number of facebook likes.

17. 600 dbl are

Coming from a guy who takes charm as a statistic for GOATNESS i'll take that as a compliment :p

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That one actually works when you also competed against superior racers and you can be the benchmark. :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Razr likes this.
  19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Except he’s won multiple premier class championships, something the others failed to do. That he’s finished second 5 times actually makes his resume even more impressive in my opinion

BigBird likes this.
  20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

His game day is different than practice or testing.
    He'd be a pretty good test mule with lots of open track.

Phl218 likes this.