1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canyon Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Apr 10, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

In the summer, I ride a lot at night. I’m in the habit of plugging in my Magic Shine battery, when I park the bicycle. Likewise, any motorcycle I ride I plug into its maintenance charger, when I park it. You could do the same with your E-groupset.

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Not even necessary. From what I understand pro teams are doing entire Grand Tours on one charge, though of course I’m sure they check levels and have spares. I just charge the Di2 whenever I charge my computer and lights. My Lezyne computer lasts 30 active hours so I don’t charge too often. I have old style battery so hardest part is that if I drive to a ride I might forget the battery. So when I charge the battery I take a piece of plastic bag I cut and wrap it around the frame and spikes as a reminder.

ducnut likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Left the key to my trackbike on the kitchen table with my other important items. Managed to grab everything but the key, drove 3-1/2hrs to a trackday, then, realized what I’d done (facepalm). From then on, key stayed in the bike.

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Haha, sounds about right. At least it only took 1 time to smarten up. 3 1/2 hours, I'm surprised you didn't hotwire it. If that's even possible with the new electronic stuff.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I always buy the service manual with the bike and keep it in my tool tote. I was able to hotwire the bike, with a paperclip, believe it or not. To put gas in it, I hammered a standard screwdriver into the lock cylinder of the cap. When I got back home, I ordered a LighTech cap to replace it. Definitely felt like a dumbass over the whole deal.

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

8 front shifts 223 rear shifts on a 25km ride. I’ve also done a 40km ride on this Di2 battery charge and it still reads 100%.

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

How do u see this info? Bluetooth and the app?

8. DWhyte91

Bluetooth and my garmin 520. You need to look at the ride on the garmin though as neither the Strava or garmin app show this data. I just stumbled upon it yesterday

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Dura Ace or Ultegra Di2?

10. DWhyte91

Dura Ace but Ultegra would work just the same with the BT EWU1111 or whatever it’s called.

11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Does Canyon do any promotions, or winter sales? I may have to get one of these bikes, but hell they are pricey.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I’m sure they do, but if you think they’re pricy, you haven’t shopped around for equivalent equipment.

ducnut, Newsshooter and TurboBlew like this.
  13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Spending 4-5K on a bicycle seems pricey to me in general. My Tiger 800 is worth about that now.

I have about $1600 in my Scattante carbon frame, with Shimano 105 components. I really want to try Di2's and get a taste for nicer stuff.

Sizing chart on their website threw me off. I am 5'o7 and according to their chart size I will need a XS frame bike. Just doesn't seem right.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I looked at one of their mtb’s that was listed as out of stock. I signed up for a notification and got an email within a week saying they had it.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It is pricey but if you consider the cost per year, it isn't too bad. My current Giant TCR is 15 years old and still looks new, paid 1400 for it. My old steel framed bike that I road raced on 30 years ago is still being used by a junior racer for training. I put more than 50K miles on it that's a pretty good ROI. :D

SGVRider likes this.
  16. stangmx13

I bet u can find a local bike shop to test ride a $5k bike with Di2. ud at least be able to feel the differences from your current bike and see if you really want to spend that $$. all the modern high-end carbon frames that I test rode shared a feel. so even if u cant test ride a Canyon, ull still get a general idea if its an upgrade u might want.

my recent bike purchase was an upgrade from a Scattante AL frame with a lot of 105 R5700 and an R8000 crank. it was a no-brainer for me.

ducnut likes this.
  17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

"Pricey" hehe.

Canyon is direct to consumer. They're one of the best values out there.

Now go price a Pinarello or Trek Madone similarly spec'd.

Cannoli likes this.
  18. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Yeah, their sizing seems strange. They say I would fit a small. What I did was compared the geometry of my current bike (Trek Domani SL 5 Disk) with the Canyon that I’m looking at to see what I would need. Unfortunately, I fit between a small and a medium using this method. Thankfully they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy, so if the sizing is off, I can return it for the right size.

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'm usually in a similar fit, I usually go for the larger frame as I'm flexible and feel comfortable being stretched out. I've got a 120 mm stem on my current Giant M/L TCR but I should probably be on a medium. Some like a more compact frame. It's easy to raise the seat a bit more and put a longer stem on it.

20. stangmx13

generally smaller frames require more flexibility. stack increases much more than reach as u go up in size, ~20mm of stack and ~5mm of reach per frame size. so a large rider on a small frame will have a ton of post sticking out and will be forced to ride a larger of saddle-to-bar drop with more stem spacers. this works great for pros cuz they can flex down and will run a 120-140mm stem. but that drop can be bad for a newer rider since they cant rotate their hips forward and produce power. on the flip side, a new rider on a larger frame will have less bar drop and can use an 80-90mm stem to remove that extra reach.

IMO without knowing anything extra like body proportions, new riders should size-up if they are in between frame sizes. experienced riders should size-down if they are in between.