1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Uber Drivers?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Jan 21, 2019.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

There was some investigative news segment that was saying that Amazon drivers were driving unsafely due to the large amount of packages drivers have to deliver to make a profit. Your results may vary.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

GM use to not have a warranty if you bought a commercial vehicle from them. Our Roach Coach driver was out for a while fighting with them over his blown up transmission.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This sounds interesting, I'ma look into it.

4. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I'm not speaking from experience on amazon or favor. That's based on feedback from immediate family. I did however used to drive for uber and lyft.

5. lazlo

lazlo Stand up guy who corners low.

My son moved to the Phoenix area and thought he could make a living driving Uber. He's a hard worker but he didn't make enough money to make it worth his time. The original draw of people using Uber was that it was cheaper than a cab and there was no tipping, so right off the bat they attracted a clientele that was cheap, and that never changed. Even with tipping, he could have made more money working fast food or retail, and would not have had the wear and tear on his car.

He said there was an occasion when someone would throw a five or ten in the front seat, and that helped, but the overall Uber user demographic is not one to tip. You know all those people that are shitty tippers in a restaurant? They are Uber users now and tip even less.

He did tell me about some out-of-state politicians that took a liking to him, so kept him around to chauffeur them around for a night, then through a couple hundred at him at the end of the night to forget everything he saw and heard.

I was at a holiday party last month, and everyone there took Uber, as company would reimburse them. Every single person I talked to said they don't tip the driver, and if they do, it's only a buck, maybe two. The public has such a good resource now, compared to the shitty cabs and cab drivers we're used to (Chicago), but Uber drivers are treated so much worse. I can see that the legit cabs are upping their game, while the Ubers and Lyfts are lowering theirs.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

warranty is not affected outside of the usual year/mileage limitations. and insurance not so much

Why? it's still your car and not registered as a taxi. And, if you get into an accident while "Ubering" you use Uber's insurance policy for the accident and not your own. Yes, if your insurance sees that you were in an accident they can do whatever they were going to do.

Look at used cars for sale and their carfax, and you'll see a bunch of cars like 1-2 years old with a ton of mileage, and they were probably previously used as Ubers, but it's not listed anywhere except private vehicle one owner.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd be very willing to bet you don't have to be a taxi for them to consider the vehicle as being used in a commercial enterprise. I'd bet they've had outs in the warranty for travelling salesmen and other high mileage/use occupations for a long long time now.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I don't see how drivers can make any money doing this. I use Ubers all the time. I can have a new-ish Camry or Accord take me to Laguna Beach for dinner (7 miles) for like $15 each way. It can take a half hour for someone to find me, load up and deliver to the restaurant. Makes ZERO sense to me. Can't imagine the depreciation hit on a nice car. A Prius 2" from death I could maybe understand.

418 likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

When I worked for a rental car company, the cars were still under factory dealer warranty even though they were actual rental cars, and noted as such.

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I have driven for uber a few days; it was during the holidays. I had two objectives: a little extra $ for a new laptop, and getting out of the house (I work from home).

It ended up being a social experiment. As with watching COPS on TV, you are re-enforced with the fact that no matter how f'ed up your life may be, it I no where near the bottom. Nothing like watching a drunk 65 year old woman, drunk as a skunk, fall into the back of your car, face first, and get wedged between the front and rear seats. It took her husband and another guy several minutes to get her upright and properly in the seat.

Thankfully, no one ever vomited in my car. According to posts in an uber driver forum, it happens more often than you think.

I targeted Friday or Saturday nights, staying (for the most part) in the NW suburbs. While active, I averaged $20-25/hour. As in about $100/night.

I can't see how it could be a living wage.

I think governments are using ride share services as a perk for people on assistance. The driver gets paid the same, bur uber's share is shown as a negative value (uber provides detailed data on each trip that you can use for analysis, if you are a nerd like me).

You can also, as previously mentioned, sign up for other services such as Amazon or Postmates. I did sign up for the later, as I want to see how well it works. I may later become a client and use their services.

11. I just ordered door dash and the guy was picking up bird scooters in the bed. But I know people making 5-6k a month working long hours for amazon deliveries, at least they were in LA 8-12 months ago. They’ve all told me uber/Lyft are awful to make any money from.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    noles19 likes this.
  12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Retired living in Vegas, drive for Uber and Lyft 2009 4 cyl. Camry, no camera. It's a decent job for retired people, as you can make your own hours and make some extra money.

Inst Tech, K51000 and BigBird like this.
  13. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies and insight.

I tried it last night! I think I took 4 people- spent about 2.5 hrs, app says I made $57. NOt sure if that's my take home or what. I'll know when I 'cash out'
    At least everyone was cool, no one drunk, etc. I'll do it a little more while I keep looking for a job in my profession- which hopefully will be soon.

OK, I checked the website, I had 5 trips, and I had 1 tip only- $10. I guess that's included in the $57 I made? LIke others said, most don't tip, etc. I could not make a living doing this, no way.
    I'll look at Amazon also maybe.

So Uber has insurance included if you get in an accident? I didn't, but it was snowy and icy- a bit sketchy driving.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    BigBird likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, around here there are small (but growing fast) companies that have snapped up those deliveries. Painted and wrapped sprinter vans doing nothing but hustling around Amazon deliveries. They killed off the independents and even one or two small delivery companies that used to do deliveries for amazon and some other companies.

joec and K51000 like this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I was in Indy his weekend. Huge cheer competition at the conventions center. Uber had surge pricing like all weekend. We were staying ~1 mi form the center. Cheapest trip was ~$6. Bad surge was ~$13. It would take maybe 10 min to go that distance.

Assume $8/trip average and 5 per hr...thats not bad.

Last year in vegas, retired lady uber driver. Drives up on friday from near laughlin to drive uber all weekend. Makes decent money. Stays with friends.

My take on it, if you live in/near big city with events, you can make some coin during peak hours. Smaller cities or all day long, fuggetaboutit.

joec and K51000 like this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Isn't Bradley Smith a Über driver now ? lol

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

If you're near a city I'd look at door dash

K51000 likes this.
  18. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I went out this morning in the snow and slushy roads and ws doing the Uber thingy. While I was out, I get a text saying I have an IMPORTANT interview in 90 minutes, can I make it?
    I'm like FAAARRRRKKK, I'm 30 minutes north of home when it's good weather.
    I rush home (already showered and shaved), put on my Brooks Brothers Interview Suit, and my formal overcoat, and Make it on TIME!
    Hour and a half Interview went well- told me all about the job, and a full tour of the Hospital I'd be at. I'm pretty sure they'll make and offer soon. Working 7 x 10 hr shifts on/ 7 days off! - I LIKE!

Then, on the way home, I figured why not, and turn on the App. while I'm dressed to the hilt! I got 4 rides in less than 2 hours, made $58- included one #3 tip. 3 of them hot nice young woman, professionals and/or students. They wanted me- I had to tell them no, my wife was waiting at home. - Ya RIGHT., I'm obviously J/K- I am polite and professional.
    As someone already said, average Uber rider rarely tips.

BigBird and Razr like this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Nice! I always tip. Do you stink?

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've got a friend that's a UPS bigwig...he does it simply because his kids have moved out and he's bored at home. He typically only does it during peak times such as basketball games, concerts and...the Derby. That's where he scored big last year. Somehow he gets setup with a guy to be his personal driver for Derby weekend. Everything goes great, he has a blast driving these people around and they love him. Well, ends up the guy is the concert promoter for Bourbon and Beyond and Louder Than Life. Driver friend says coolio...he went last year and had a blast. So this guys tips him with 10 VIP tickets for each show. VIP tickets for these shows are over $500.

K51000 likes this.