1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida School Shooting Thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sharkattack, Feb 14, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Now Sean, you're putting words in my mouth and not reading the entire thread that we went through last night. I stated yesterday that I believe that teachers should have at least half as much training as I got. And like I stated last night, my training included decent weapons training and 40 hours of LEO. In reality the teachers wouldn't need any of the LEO, and my weapons training amounted to about 16 hours. A typical concealed carry is 8 hours, and from what I'm hearing they usually only last 5. So give the teacher 10 hours of training.

That's what I think should be done. OK, who the fuck am I?? Nobody, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

2. rd400racer

You know what...you're probably right and I'm probably going overboard a bit (yeah, that's a pun). But wouldn't you think if a teacher is going to volunteer to take on this responsibility that they would also wan to be as prepared as possible?

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

I expect they would. No doubt in my mind that they could receive the required training over summer that would allow them to do this.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not disagreeing with training at all - but you seemed to revert to saying they needed as much as you got. I think there absolutely should be minimums in place. Most do already get active shooter training which will help as well. I'm not going to say an hour amount because I have no idea what it would take to make them at least safe with the weapon.

6. rd400racer

I like that part. I didn't even get active shooter training. And like I said with G97 earlier, let's hope that a teacher who takes on this task will want to be as proficient as possible.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you have guns in schools there will be some accidents. Accidents happen with everything we use.
    Although we strive for safety, kids get killed in school bus accidents on a regular basis yet we still use buses.
    There are no perfect answers here. Life is unsafe.
    It will kill you.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Ban living.

gixxerreese likes this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Since people are weighing on "all the teachers they know" and their opinions on the topic. The highlighted portion has been the recurring theme in every discussion I have had...wait for it...with all the teachers I know.

10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

But that is part of the solution. Not every school employee needs to or should carry. However the POS that wants to rampage cannot be sure who can defend themselves and those around them and who is an easy target. That alone could help stop the tiny number that occur in many cases.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

No actually I have not EVER thought that. Also as I have said to others locked in the room that the teacher is present in is actually preferable to carry during hours.

Of course I think the best thing is do nothing on a national level. It will be based on panic about a situation that is VERY unlikely to occur for almost everyone. The kind of thing that leads to crappy laws.

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yeah that's crazy.... If you're worried about a kid grabbing your gun out of the holster just get one with a retention system. My N82 holster has a patented system that makes it almost impossible to remove unless you want to, then it only take half a second.

I'd imagine the guys who don't CC, yet have all these opinions, aren't even aware of holsters with rentention options.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That's funny. When I dropped off my son at school yesterday, a girl was walking towards the doors from the parking lot with the same prop. I laughed at the thought that some moron would do exactly what happened in that article.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

From the article:
    "Carole McGranahan, whose son goes to Fairview, said she thinks the district should look at doing away with the color-guard rifles altogether, especially considering today's climate."

It would seem that "thinks" is a gross overstatement for what goes in in her head...

R Acree likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No sense in wasting those 17 minutes.

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Ha Ha...Simeone "CAREER" academy...yeah right...career criminal academy...

19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Children are the victims no matter what

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

No lcd big screen tv

no peace.