1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Agreed, keep it simple

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, no. Have to keep it as fair as possible. Not sure we've had anything built to the V5 limits in years but the little voice in my head is saying that could be much faster than Clubman. Same voice is saying opening up displacement smokers like that is bad idea since Clubman is based on Formula rules not streetbikes.

What is wrong with V5 bikes riding up to their proper V6 class for more track time?

3. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Nothing...That's how it should be... I just hate the idea of special rules for 2 smokers or other bikes that want rules changed to themselves...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like 250/350 GP bikes and keeping a class just for them? :D

videojack likes this.
  5. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Now .... your be funny ......

6. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Don’t have time to read the whole thread but from what I did read it appears v8 MW is still going to be a thing? Bought and built an 06 gsxr600 specifically for this class and my rookie season.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolutely, this only affects some smaller/older classes.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  8. vance

vance *

That makes sense. Known “guys” who pay the bills should be considered when making the schedule.
    I just purchased a bike that per the current rules is V3 legal and I really don’t care where it runs, rather what I can legally and safely bump up to. V3 and V4 combined in the same race left me wondering if a bump to V5 is reasonably safe.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - the schedule for Talladega is posted. I can change things sure but lets not get too goofy with the what ifs and try to stick with what you actually do run every weekend.

Keep in mind I haven't actually done the rules yet so there is no magical Vintage bump to E or F or the like unless your bike is already legal for it.

http://www.wera.com/pdfs/eventschedule/talladega021818.pdf

10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Think you could put the V7 bikes in front of the V6 HW bikes.
    We are newer bikes.
    Thanks.

Steven

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet one more time - the order as listed on the schedule has NOTHING to do with the order on the actual printed grid. The grid is done based on the bikes that are actually entered into the race taking into account which are faster off the line, which are faster overall, the riders, and any other factor that affects the safety of getting the race started or the race overall.

Not to mention the age of the bike has nothing to do with how fast it is or isn't.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Might be a silly question but do the smaller vintage classes practice with Group 1?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. We'll adjust that as needed like always depending on turnout and speeds.

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I post the following with the admission I will not be on track at Tally.

I am building an RZ, the 421cc is a common build reliable platform with off the shelf race parts, crank, cylinders and pistons and pipes. I suggested increasing the limit based on what is prevalent in the market. The current Clubman limit is 396cc's. If 421 was legal I would elect to run clubman as opposed to V-5. BUT if I run my 400 in the v3 class I am forced to run the RZ in V5.

Looking at the Tally race listing I don't understand the class alignment. Yea I know we are trying to sort this out here. (Joe's suggestion had merit).

There are multiple issues that influence the decision chain. Safety is #1 WERA revenue and entry's should be #2.

V-3 running with V4 does not make sense, V-4 would be the bump up for V-3 if the are run separate.

Tally has 500GP, V3 and V4 all in one race, this will absolutely reduce vintage entry's and further depress revenue as it leaves no vintage bump up with the exception of V-5.

V-5 with F2 is a fraught with potential on track issues even at the V-5 level, the F-2 class is ALL OUT 600's (backing it in and drifting it out). When V-3/V4 are run together V5 is a catch all bump up for V3-V4 and in this case 500GP, this will lead to on track issues for anyone with the guts to bump a 500GP bike to V5 (I am guessing the anticipation is that 500GP bikes would bump to ESS?)

What is the cost of additional ambulances or shutting down while we wait for an ambulance to return to the track? Please don't be offended, it is the potential reality.

Logical respectful dissent is a healthy thing, I am an advocate of trying to get this right. I think the new structure can be improved and hell, this is just time and discussion.

How many senior superbike entry's are there, this is a race with 2 groups of SENIOR racers what is the typical grid size?. I confess, I don't know the lap times for F2 or Senior Superbike but I do know that the senior class is EXPERIENCED riders that know how to pass and are SENIOR much like the vintage group, is this a more logical group for V5?

This is not about class structure, it is about maximizing #1 safety, #2 revenue to wera AND a great SAFE experience for the participants.

My thoughts.

15. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

"How many senior superbike entry's are there, this is a race with 2 groups of SENIOR racers what is the typical grid size?. I confess, I don't know the lap times for F2 or Senior Superbike but I do know that the senior class is EXPERIENCED riders that know how to pass and are SENIOR much like the vintage group, is this a more logical group for V5?"

Hmmmm.. very interesting. Anything to keep me out of the SVs' oilslicks ;)

16. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Senior Superbike is MW (600s) and HW (1000s). Combine classes for EX and NV for MW and HW ranged from 10-25 depending upon the track. While older and should be “wiser” I don’t know that V5 would be safe with the significant speed/time differences.

F2 is typically SVs not 600s but some of those riders are as fast as 600s

17. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

Mongo,the rules for clubman states 396cc 2 stroke water cooled multies. But the next line says "ALL formula 2 stroke machines". And Formula 2 stroke allows rz350s up to 450cc. This would allow the 421 into clubman?

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Move V3 from race 9 to race 13 and you have a schedule that works.

Cheers,

dave

19. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Yes, that way V3 can be the GP500 bump up class.

20. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I don't get how that makes sense. I get the point of moving v3 from 500GP. But do you really thinking stock motor cb350s should bump up into a 600&1000cc sport bike race?